Corona virus "exploding" in Italy today

HPSE81

27 minutes ago, floridian1 said:

cruising in 2 weeks. If the majority of the ports deny cruise ships what do you think MSC will do? Cancel completely? they cruise to Rome (civi), Palermo Italy (confirmed case), Malta, Barcelona, Marseille france and Genoa (not too far from the lockdown towns).

would like to add barcelona to the coronavirus list - news an hour ago has a confirmed case there - they had visited milan italy last week.

Edited by floridian1

1 hour ago, floridian1 said:

I am having my doubts that Malta will allow a cruise ship from italy to dock soon, especially with the stop in palermo (coronavirus case) the day before malta . there is already reports there that the port workers are refusing to enter cargo ships from italy.

I really don't think you have to worry about a single case in Palermo, after all, closer to home the ports of Seattle (1 case) and Vancouver has 7 cases.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

I really don't think you have to worry about a single case in Palermo, after all, closer to home the ports of Seattle (1 case) and Vancouver has 7 cases.

Considering the demographics of Vancouver and the tendency to travel to Chin from Vancouver , I’m surprised that there are not more cases.  I had wagered that it would be epicenter for the virus in North America.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, floridian1 said:

cruising in 2 weeks. If the majority of the ports deny cruise ships what do you think MSC will do? Cancel completely? they cruise to Rome (civi), Palermo Italy (confirmed case), Malta, Barcelona, Marseille france and Genoa (not too far from the lockdown towns).

IMHO, the issue isn't what ports might be closed. Rather, the traveler has to be clear about his/her personal situation.

The people best suited to the present environment are retirees who don't have a time limit to return home. Flexible about changed itineraries. Willing to spend many days at sea. Able to endure a quarantine in the worst case scenario.

Infections will occur where/when they happen. The cruise company (and you) will be guided by the insurers' terms and conditions. Once a travel advisory is issued for a place, the insurer's exclusion comes into effect.

From my trip interruption policy with TD Insurance in Canada...

“SECTION 8 – WHAT YOUR INSURANCE DOES NOT COVER – EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS

... Travel Advisories  Any Medical Emergency Condition You suffer or contract in a specific country, region or city for which Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada (DFATD), has issued a formal travel warning, before Your Effective Date, advising Canadians to avoid all or non-essential travel to that specific country, region or city.

 Note: In this exclusion, "Medical Emergency Condition” is limited to the reason for

which the formal Travel Warning was issued and includes complications arising

from such Medical Emergency Condition.”

So, cruising on a vessel is preferably to independent travel. The cruise company will make the decision for you, and you just ride along.

• Like 1