Spa and thermal suite on New Statendam

realnurse2

I was on the NS earlier this month and enjoyed a one week thermal spa pass.  Great Thermal pool and love those heated ceramic loungers!!!  I purchased pre-cruise and paid $139 for the 1 week pass.

Here is a recent thread where the thermal spa was discussed.  It might offer you some additional information 

Edited by margar

We used the thermal suite last week.  I would suggest booking online before the cruise.  The price was significantly less than the "sale" price they were offering the first day of the cruise.  For the couples' pass, we paid $219.  The pool is great, however we did notice one design flaw.  When someone is using the massage faucets in the middle of the pool, it sprays all over to those just enjoying the pool.  I saw a lot of people annoyed by that and the person standing under the faucets had no clue.

The other issue we had was the ceramic loungers.  They are great but it was a fight to get one.  A lot of people seemed to save them when they were not currently using them.  For example, my husband went on what we thought was an "off" time.  There was nobody on the ceramic loungers and nobody in the pool.  Shortly after, people just kept coming into the pool.  There were about 10 people that came right after us.  They all stayed in the pool and we left to go to the ceramic loungers.  When we went into the ceramic lounger room, all 10 had stuff on them but nobody with there.  All the people in the pool were saving the loungers during the time they were using the pool.  Was a bit aggravating as we never experienced that on the Nieuw Amsterdam or Eurodam.

9 minutes ago, tlund said:

When we went into the ceramic lounger room, all 10 had stuff on them but nobody with there.  All the people in the pool were saving the loungers during the time they were using the pool. 

That's being very inconsiderate of those guests.  Perhaps, speaking with the Spa Manager when that happened might have been an appropriate thing to do.

On 2/27/2020 at 2:41 PM, realnurse2 said:

.Does anyone have comments on the spa and thermal suite area- p

HAL made improvements in the design of the thermal pool.  A ledge for seating around a section of the side before where the stainless steel racks begin was a good idea.  The button to restart the "bubbly, bubbly" is able to be reached from someone in the pool rather than someone having to get out of the pool to push the button.  I think both the pool and the thermal suite area is an excellent amenity and worth its cost to the guest.

2 hours ago, tlund said:

We used the thermal suite last week.  I would suggest booking online before the cruise.  The price was significantly less than the "sale" price they were offering the first day of the cruise.  For the couples' pass, we paid $219.  The pool is great, however we did notice one design flaw.  When someone is using the massage faucets in the middle of the pool, it sprays all over to those just enjoying the pool.  I saw a lot of people annoyed by that and the person standing under the faucets had no clue.

The other issue we had was the ceramic loungers.  They are great but it was a fight to get one.  A lot of people seemed to save them when they were not currently using them.  For example, my husband went on what we thought was an "off" time.  There was nobody on the ceramic loungers and nobody in the pool.  Shortly after, people just kept coming into the pool.  There were about 10 people that came right after us.  They all stayed in the pool and we left to go to the ceramic loungers.  When we went into the ceramic lounger room, all 10 had stuff on them but nobody with there.  All the people in the pool were saving the loungers during the time they were using the pool.  Was a bit aggravating as we never experienced that on the Nieuw Amsterdam or Eurodam.

I did not see loungers reserved when I was on Kdam, or on any of the Vistas, so I'm sad to see the "chair hog" mentality expanding into the spa.  That would have annoyed me. I wonder if it's because the loungers are in the walk to the pool? It's too easy to leave stuff.  I dislike that aspect of the design. You're relaxing in the quiet, and then people come in talking at full volume. Staff, too. When it's a "dead end" room it's more peaceful. 

15 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I'm sad to see the "chair hog" mentality expanding into the spa.  That would have annoyed me. I wonder if it's because the loungers are in the walk to the pool? It's too easy to leave stuff.  I dislike that aspect of the design. You're relaxing in the quiet, and then people come in talking at full volume. Staff, too. When it's a "dead end" room it's more peaceful. 

Excellent observation.  

Maybe crew assigned to the Spa area ought to be more aware?  On both the Nieuw Statendam in 2019 as well as the Eurodam in January, 2020, there did not seem to be the same amount of crew attention to the pool area's and thermal suite's condition as I previously witnessed.  

We loved the Thermal Suite on NA last year.  We have booked a 10-day So Caribbean on the Eurodam in December and plan on booking the Suite again.  Anyone familiar with the 10-day cost?

21 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I did not see loungers reserved when I was on Kdam, or on any of the Vistas, so I'm sad to see the "chair hog" mentality expanding into the spa.  That would have annoyed me. I wonder if it's because the loungers are in the walk to the pool? It's too easy to leave stuff.  I dislike that aspect of the design. You're relaxing in the quiet, and then people come in talking at full volume. Staff, too. When it's a "dead end" room it's more peaceful. 

I agree that it was the first room that people walk in to get into the thermal suite so that may cause people to leave their belongings on a ceramic chair to then proceed to the rest of the suite.  I also found that there were a lot of people talking loudly in that "relaxation" area.  My husband and I left a few times because there were people that were talking in the pool and on the ceramic loungers as if they were taking advantage of the party atmosphere by the pool.  In one instance, there were a group of people that brought drinks with them into the hydro pool.  I think there were a lot of people that were clueless that the pool and ceramic loungers are for quiet relaxation, not non-stop conversation.  Some people just don't shut up.