Aft Cabins - Any sun?

Canuck Cruzer

I'm looking at booking an aft cabin on the Crown. Particularily, C752. There have been many posts about this specific cabin on the CB. But I don't recall seeing info that I'm looking for.

I understand the aft cabins are completely covered. Does this reduce the sun you get? For those that have stayed in an aft cabin, do you ever wish you could see more (i.e. out the side) rather than seeing where you have already been?

I have never had a balcony before...so trying to figure what would be best. I currently have BB Caribe balcony booked...but considering an aft BB if available. I just worry that I would feel like I'm missing out on seeing things from the aft when arriving to port or when leaving. I doubt we woudl be in our cabin much during the day.

Thanks for any help!

I guess using that same logic .. do Port cabins with completely covered balconies get any sun? What about Starbord cabins .. and on the rare ship there might be some forward facing cabins.

Um .. a great deal of the 'sun' question will depend on which way the ship is sailing. If you can look at a map and decide the ships route this may give you some answers.

For example, going North .. one side gets sun in the morning .. the other side gets sun in the afternoon and the aft cabins will get sun most of the day. I can attest to this fact on a Cunard QM2 Crossing where my cabin always faced North (going NY to Southampton). Not much sun .. but the other side was complaining about sun all day long.

As far as the ports .. sometimes the ship backs in . sometimes she goes in bow first. There is really no good way to predict the view a balcony would have without knowing each port (HNL for example apparently is always a contstant docking). Obviously when you tender ... the ship will be at 'some' position tho it does move during the day.

We took an Aft cabin on a Canal full Transit and thought it was way kewl . sort of a bridge view from our balcony.

I guess the only issue with 'covered' balcony and the sun .. is what part of the balcony will the sun hit and can you sunbathe there (naked?) without the deck above seeing you! The Sea Princess aft balconies are 'covered'' in that no one can see down on you . but I can attest they got a LOT of sun . and a lot of 'private' space was available.

I would bet that ANY balcony cabin (or mini or full suite) gets used more if you enjoy a quiet time reading a book or sipping a drink on your own. I have become a balcony-required cruiser lately and enjoy my own quiet space.

And if you think you are missing out too much on the forward view . there normally is a channel on the TV that will show the 'view from the bridge' so you can see forward as well as your aft view.

Thanks.

I guess when I was wondering this, I was more concerned with the balcony being completely covered vs. what I have currently booked which is only partially covered.

Never really thought about where the ship was in relation to the sun. I just figured, if there was shade in the morning, there should be sun in the afternoon...and vise versa.

Bottom line, I think any balcony is better than no balcony. thx again.

Archived