Kennedy Space Center for 4-5 hrs

LuCruise

We've booked Royal's excursion to KSC that includes transportation, but we tour ourselves.  We don't get to port until 12:30pm and we are coming with a teen and a tween.

Thus, with only 4-5 hrs, what do you recommend we see and do?  Our younger one thinks she will be bored so want to ensure she is kept engaged.  None of us are even into space stuff, but I keep hearing very good recommendations to go there so we're giving it a try.

first thing I'd do is head to the back and queue up for the included bus tour that takes you to the Saturn V exhibit/building.  This is gonna consume an hour plus in ADDITION to the time spent on line just waiting to get on a bus .... if you don't do this first you may miss it all together and I'd say it is a must do

Second must do is the shuttle exhibit ... expect to spend a minimum pf 40 minutes here and longer if you do the optional 'ride' ....

there are other exhibits but these are the two biggies . . . . and I've waited 40 minutes to get in/on each when the place is busy ....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

first thing I'd do is head to the back and queue up for the included bus tour that takes you to the Saturn V exhibit/building.  This is gonna consume an hour plus in ADDITION to the time spent on line just waiting to get on a bus .... if you don't do this first you may miss it all together and I'd say it is a must do

Second must do is the shuttle exhibit ... expect to spend a minimum pf 40 minutes here and longer if you do the optional 'ride' ....

there are other exhibits but these are the two biggies . . . . and I've waited 40 minutes to get in/on each when the place is busy ....

Sounds like the bus tour is a must.  The part that I bolded above is what concerns me:

1. We could spend 1hr just waiting for a bus 
  2. We won't arrive until say 1pm so can imagine long lines.  From cruise point of view, it looks like it is just our cruise and one other cruise ship that arrives 1hr after us, so we can try and get on the excursion quickly to get us there before the other ship.  But of course, not sure the crowds for anyone else in Orlando visiting for the day

By the shuttle exhibit, do you mean the Atlantis building?  Or is this some other exhibit?

Likewise, waiting for 40 minutes to just get in to the shuttle exhibit or other....this is wondering if we should skip some of the biggest (busiest) exhibits and see some of the less popular attractions.

Edited by LuCruise

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

Sounds like the bus tour is a must.  The part that I bolded above is what concerns me:

1. We could spend 1hr just waiting for a bus 
  2. We won't arrive until say 1pm so can imagine long lines.  From cruise point of view, it looks like it is just our cruise and one other cruise ship that arrives 1hr after us, so we can try and get on the excursion quickly to get us there before the other ship.  But of course, not sure the crowds for anyone else in Orlando visiting for the day

By the shuttle exhibit, do you mean the Atlantis building?  Or is this some other exhibit?

Likewise, waiting for 40 minutes to just get in to the shuttle exhibit or other....this is wondering if we should skip some of the biggest (busiest) exhibits and see some of the less popular attractions.

Yep, the shuttle exhibit is the Atlantis building.

When I went to KSC, I thought I'd be there maybe 2-3 hours and I ended up for much more.   The bus tour and the shuttle exhibit were more interesting than I thought they would be.  Now, I follow the SpaceX launches online!!!  

Instead of taking the cruise bus, look into renting a car for the day if that gives more time.  It's a very easy drive from the port to KSC.  Also, go to the KSC website and look at it - you can buy tickets online.  Also, it's worth it to look at the launch schedules on the KSC website - it will modify the bus tour somewhat due to security issues.  

Even not being "into the space thing", this is definitely worth the time!  With manned travel coming back within 2 years (hopefully), you can just imagine being at the launch pad 39A when it happens!   

For me, given the choice of KSC or MouseWorld, I'd choose KSC.  So much history!   But I'm of the age where I remember the first launch of Gagarin in Russia...  

11 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Yep, the shuttle exhibit is the Atlantis building.

When I went to KSC, I thought I'd be there maybe 2-3 hours and I ended up for much more.   The bus tour and the shuttle exhibit were more interesting than I thought they would be.  Now, I follow the SpaceX launches online!!!  

Instead of taking the cruise bus, look into renting a car for the day if that gives more time.  It's a very easy drive from the port to KSC.  Also, go to the KSC website and look at it - you can buy tickets online.  Also, it's worth it to look at the launch schedules on the KSC website - it will modify the bus tour somewhat due to security issues.  

Even not being "into the space thing", this is definitely worth the time!  With manned travel coming back within 2 years (hopefully), you can just imagine being at the launch pad 39A when it happens!   

For me, given the choice of KSC or MouseWorld, I'd choose KSC.  So much history!   But I'm of the age where I remember the first launch of Gagarin in Russia...  

Thanks for the reply.  We are more comfortable taking the ship excursion, but regardless it wouldn't make any difference.  Our ship doesn't arrive until 12:30pm and KSC closes at 6pm.  So an uber wouldn't really give us any more time.  

I did a check on their site and it's not showing any special launches on our date (Mar 17) so hopefully it stays that way. 

What exhibits in the main area are recommended in case the bus tour wait it too long.  We would hit the Atlantis building.  What else?  Sounds like priority is the tour but just want a back up plan.

times for waits I mentioned are worst case ... peak season or holiday.  When are you going?

BUT because there CAN be a wait, and because this item TAKES a good bit of time I mention 'try this first' ..... the last bus is 2.5 hours B4 closing time .....

48 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

times for waits I mentioned are worst case ... peak season or holiday.  When are you going?

BUT because there CAN be a wait, and because this item TAKES a good bit of time I mention 'try this first' ..... the last bus is 2.5 hours B4 closing time .....

Going busy time...will be there in 2 weeks...our March break (Ontario) so imagine it will be packed with families and kids.

the bus takes you to the S-V which is away from the 'main' KSC stuff ....

bus starts at main location and tours launch pads (as available) and the vertical assembly building area .... then drops you at the S-V building. 30 minutes plus IME ... You can enter the building ... or turn right around to return to main facility ... not what I'd recommend.

The aw sum size of the Saturn is something to be absorbed. There's a lot of stuff to see/read .... or you can do a quick walk thru .... also a presentation on first moon landing. then you get on a bus back to 'main area' ..... this ride is much shorter ....

Atlantis is 'quicker' .... there might be a queue to get in (groups) but once in it is a DIY thing, stay as long or little as you like.  I figure 30 minutes minimum ..... you can easily see the CANADA 'arm'

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

the bus takes you to the S-V which is away from the 'main' KSC stuff ....

bus starts at main location and tours launch pads (as available) and the vertical assembly building area .... then drops you at the S-V building. 30 minutes plus IME ... You can enter the building ... or turn right around to return to main facility ... not what I'd recommend.

The aw sum size of the Saturn is something to be absorbed. There's a lot of stuff to see/read .... or you can do a quick walk thru .... also a presentation on first moon landing. then you get on a bus back to 'main area' ..... this ride is much shorter ....

Atlantis is 'quicker' .... there might be a queue to get in (groups) but once in it is a DIY thing, stay as long or little as you like.  I figure 30 minutes minimum ..... you can easily see the CANADA 'arm'

I took photos of the Canada Arm to send back to my friends above the Northern Border...   The size of the Sat V is indeed impressive.  Just thinking of being on top of that thing and shot into space is awesome!   I spent a lot of time in the Atlantis building - I was just awestruck at it, being in the same room as this craft!  

Oh, I bought a Falcon Heavy T-shirt...  I wear it on launch days, regardless if it's a Falcon 9 launch or a Falcon Heavy launch!  I also got luggage tags that are based on Space X's 2 recovery ships.  I watch the launches and the recoveries online on Space X's website - watching the boosters return to Earth and land is just so amazing.  When they did the 'failure' test the other month, I was just awestruck at watching the whole thing - they have cameras on the rockets at different locations so you could watch different things happen (parachutes deploy, coming down into the ocean).   And, you hear the cheers of the Space X's staff in the background.   

Gotta say - going to KSC really re-ignited my interest in space!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ok..so

1.  Bus tour

2.  Saturn V

3.  If time, Atlantis building.

thanks for asking the question. my son and I will be there on the same day/time... although I am seriously considering self-guiding.

7 hours ago, bill payer said:

thanks for asking the question. my son and I will be there on the same day/time... although I am seriously considering self-guiding.

We have the self-guided option booked.  Are you on Anthem or another ship?

12 hours ago, LuCruise said:

We have the self-guided option booked.  Are you on Anthem or another ship?

Anthem... but by self guided I am thinking taxi cab. Seems to be roughly double the cost to get it officially. I wondered if there are benefits outside of piece of mind and ease, I realize that you can't put a price on piece of mind and ease.

10 hours ago, bill payer said:

Anthem... but by self guided I am thinking taxi cab. Seems to be roughly double the cost to get it officially. I wondered if there are benefits outside of piece of mind and ease, I realize that you can't put a price on piece of mind and ease.

Ah ok. Maybe I priced it wrong, but when I did the math (in CAD for us), it was pretty close once I added in the taxi/Uber