Cancelled March Cruise and Rebook for fall questions

floridian1

I was able to cancel our march cruise and the cruise line applied what i had paid for the march cruise to the new booking. I still owe a little more money now by the PIF date this summer.

We had bought some cheap trip insurance on the old cruise that didnt include much. I need better insurance for our October Cruise.

Will I now be eligible to buy insurance in the next 14 days that has "cancel for any reason" since its a new booking? I am confused because it says you can add "cancel for any reason" within 14 days of deposit. Does this count even though the cruiseline is moving money over from a cancelled cruise? I'm not paying anything right now out of pocket until the PIF date.

That's a tricky question. I could see both sides to both answers. It's "not really" a new booking being made with "new money". You're just moving money to a new date.

I would ask whomever you book with and be straight up with the information. If you try to slide it by and get caught and the insurance voids the policy when you need it most would be unsettling to say the least. Be honest and get the coverage you need.

Edited by klfrodo

11 minutes ago, floridian1 said:

the travel agency i used said i could. it's def. a grey area though and is why im asking. I figured it put it out there since there may be alot of people in my position.

I'd get that in writing since the Travel Agency only makes commission on the policy. They don't make "claims" decision.

In writing would mean you could go back on them with proof that you did your due diligence. If things go TU and the TA gave the wrong info,,,, they have Errors and Omissions insurance coverage.

Since you're wanting to buy a better/more comprehensive policy, check out https://tripinsurancestore.com/  and give Steve and/or Becky a call and ask this question directly of them.

• Like 1

When we asked about this once, applying a credit to a new trip that we wanted to insure, we were told that the policy we wanted would *not* allow us to use the "21 day window" from the application of the credit.  It still would have needed to be within 21 days of the actual first *payment*.

So we had to make a new deposit for the next trip.

We've needed to make claims on several trips, and so we just could not risk having a policy/claim that might be denied.

I know this is a bit late, but is there any way that you can make a fresh deposit, and have that credit applied later?  (Then you probably couldn't include that credit if you made a claim, but that would be the least of your problems in a case like that, I'd think.)

We have been very careful to make absolutely sure that we kept to all of the terms of any policy, and our claims have always been paid without any nonsense.

But do check about *your* policy, and yes, DO get any answer in writing.  That's critical!

Good luck.

GC