achilles damage

theduktor

I had a partial tear of the tendon.  I was in a walking boot for 8 weeks, but no surgery.  Are you mobile?  Can you get a note from your Doctor advising you not to go?

36 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Hope you both were not taking Cipro or another fluoroquinolone before that happened. 😳

Wow. This is helpful info. Thank you.

This was unknown to me and I took a course of Cipro for an infection in January. I've had no issues but good to take precautions. 

I looked it up here, https://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/news/20080708/fda-warning-cipro-may-rupture-tendons

Edited by fatcat04

11 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

This was unknown to me and I took a course of Cipro for an infection in January. I've had no issues but good to take precautions. 

I looked it up here, https://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/news/20080708/fda-warning-cipro-may-rupture-tendons

There have been a number of Drug Alerts issued by the FDA in the past several years for the entire class of Fluoroquinolones. Risks include ruptures to Achilles and other tendons, muscle and nerve damage, tears to aortas, life threatening problems with glucose regulation, mental health issues, the documented list goes on.

Europe and the UK have issued similar warnings that concur the drugs should not be used unless there is no other drug that can be substituted and the risk from the infection is greater than that from the drug. And it’s not necessarily people who have been on long term courses or high doses who get these problems.

Unfortunately I learned about this the hard way.😣 After my incident I was alerted to the connection and advised to spend some time in the literature by a NP friend, who knows her stuff. And it’s amazing how many physicians I’ve discussed it with or were involved who thought it was only long term use and tendons involved. Including the doc who put me back on it after my episode. 😜 

Anyone who is interested should google Fluoroquinolones & FDA & Drug Alert. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Adding- ruptures can occur up to 6 months after. My issue started on day 5.

• Like 1