Wine Etiquette

berry22192

When sitting with others at the QM2/QE2 dinner table I suppose some passengers may order wine and some may not. Advice would be welcomed on how you may have handled the ordering and disbursing of wine in this situation. Good manners suggest that one offers one's wine to others, but do the practicalities suggest otherwise? I can imagine there may be some opportunites here for misunderstandings and faux pax. Thanks.

Chris in Woodbridge

If you order by the glass there is no problem. Some folk will offer to share when they order, others not. If wine is offered and accepted you should be prepaired to do the honours next evening. What will cause problems is to accept and never return the compliment. Of course it is quite ok to refuse an offer of wine if you wish.

David.

The Wine Steward answers this question for you many times. He asks everyone individually, or with one question, then making eye contact looking for responses. Those who want wine ,order it, those who don’t pass. There are exceptions to be sure, but, generally, there’s no compelling reason to change this result. Asking later is akin to asking if someone change their mind. I like MUFI’s answer too, if available, order by the glass.

On a recent QE2 cruise of 3 weeks and being on table of 8 with the other 7 being QE2 virgins, l was only too pleased to get the bottles of wine the 1st night and offer to all on the table, everyone accepted and then that set the ball rolling for the other 3 gentlemen. It all worked out very well so much so that more often than not the wine buyer for that night would place the order at lunchtime outside the library and by magic our superb wine waiter had the wine delivered and poured almost as soon as we sat down and we never needed to top up our glasses.

It might explain why we were quite a loud table and usually one of the last tables to leave the restaurent and the wine bill on the account was a great talking point between us!!!

We were once on Carnival Cruise Line, and had the amusing experience of sharing a table with six teetotallers. Several came from Montana.

One night, we had a walk-in beer, together with glasses for, and bottles of, Champagne, red wine, white wine, and dessert wine paraded on the table. Our tablemates asked if they could take a photo to show the folks back home!

They obviously did not want to share, but unless you feel particularly pally with your new shipmates, don't think about it. Order for yourselves.

If they offer you a drink, of course, it's only polite to reciprocate.

But there's another dilemma - what if they buy you big money wines like Dom Perignon, Cristal and vintage Bordeaux....................? Do you respond likewise?

Dear Fellow cruisers:

In 2004 I went on the QM2 and wanted to be "Daddy Warbucks" and picked the wine up.. I was at a table for 8. I really like wine and sort of hate to just order by the glass. This was all great fun until I got the bill.:eek:

BTW One couple did buy wine the last night. ( and later sprung for an airline surcharge when we missed our original flight). I was travelling with friends and friends of theirs.

I am soon to be on QM2 again...

Would it be rude to offer wine the first night and then ask who would like to participate in a rolling "wine exchange" ? Or to ask what kind and price range of wine people like.... ? Then if we cannot agree everyone does their own deal.

As a fine dinning ( of a sort) waiter I often suggest the mid range. Less of a hangover and less of a credit card overload.

All for now, Tom in Long Beach

16 days until the QUEEN MARYs meet.:)

I see this question come up from time to time on these boards.

While it is a gracious and generous thing to offer wine to your tablemates, there is absolutely no obligation to do it. Nor is it rude to not offer. I feel we are seated by happenstance, the other couples are not your guests and you are not theirs.

If a relationship develops during the cruise, by all means host if you wish, just do it for the right reasons. Just because you are seated at the same table is not reason enough.

We've had times where we buy a bottle of champagne on formal nights. We've had times where we reciprocate or buy after a discussion about wines from the precious evening. But, I feel as obligated to buy wine for a table as much as I would for strangers in a restaurant who happen to be seated closely.

I'm surprised people think it will be bad manners to not share. I'd also be surprised if a wine steward asked if we wanted glasses for the rest of the table, that should only be by request of the person purchasing the wine. Would you feel obligated to pick up the tab for cocktails at the table, too?

But there's another dilemma - what if they buy you big money wines like Dom Perignon, Cristal and vintage Bordeaux....................? Do you respond likewise?

No, you ask them to marry you! Or adopt you!

Karie,

who is not shy- Nor a cheap date!

And whose momma didn't raise no fool!

The boy buys you Dom, Marry hiim! <G>

It's this very dilemma--plus the fact that my wife is a bit shy--that caused us to request a table for two. Like Tom (I think), we love wine and drink it for lunch and dinner. Not First Growths and all, but decent stuff. Sharing could get to be a problem unless your tablemates are of like mind.

BTW, on so many cruises we've found that not too many people drink wine--probably because it intimidates them. This was proven to us on Radisson's Seven Seas Mariner, where the dinner wine is free. I have never seen so much wine drinking (about 150-180 bottles a night, said the wine steward!) as on that cruise. The usual reaction was, "Don't mind if I do!"

To get off on a slight tangent, another reason we don't mix much is that, with a few exceptions, we have met some truly (insert suitable negative descriptive here) people on our many cruises. One of the worst was a lady who claimed to be a mystery writer who was so full off (ahem), malarky, that we had to put on boots. On the other hand, on Holland America's Westerdam, we chatted with a couple of interesting folks who would have made great table mates had we met them sooner than breakfast of debarakation day.

Since a number of CC-ers will be on the QM2 Hawaii trip, maybe we'll mix after all.:)

While it is a gracious and generous thing to offer wine to your tablemates, there is absolutely no obligation to do it. Nor is it rude to not offer. I feel we are seated by happenstance, the other couples are not your guests and you are not theirs.

If a relationship develops during the cruise, by all means host if you wish, just do it for the right reasons. Just because you are seated at the same table is not reason enough.

That's my view too. Not everyone is a drinker and its not like we pass our plates around offering our meals. Still I have no problem with one being generous but not all tables turn into great friends instantly either.

I've been on two cruises so far and we have had nice people at our tables but its was more of a "we just eat together at dinner and do our own things at other times" situation. I had no problem with that. They were travelling with their group of family or friends and we were doing our own thing together. We did the communal thing to experience the traditions of ocean liner dining but that's about all. Its interesting to hear about other people's thoughts and experiences and find out who comes from where but I never board the ship with the intention I'm walking away with a whole new list of contacts but if it happens then great!

I might offer if the trip becomes a situation where there's some bonding going on but let's face it - Night one we are practically all strangers.

To me offering your wine is a personal choice and not a social grace. I am sure there will be some who disagree and that's okay too. I could be blissfully unaware of social etiquette! This year will be my first on Cunard and I realize its a step up from the pack but I've never been to a upscale restaurant where people were sharing their wines either unless it was a group function. So is there really a right or wrong answer?:confused:

All I know is that this thread is also on the HAL board and it turned quickly into a battle of etiquette.:(

If wine is offered and accepted you should be prepaired to do the honours next evening. What will cause problems is to accept and never return the compliment. David.

Now, that I agree with. A return of a favour is just good manners. If you accept an offer of goodwill from someone trying to break the ice then by all means do not come across like you're taking a freebie and run. :eek:

Archived