Express check-out

Cher7

Hi all - can anyone tell me if there is express check-out off the Island on return to Los Angeles. Seeing as our flight is not til later in the evening, we were hoping to be able to leave the ship at 8:30, rent a car and have most of the day to sight-see. Thanks in advance! :)

Since Princess has your credit card on file there is express check out. If you have to go down to there purser for any reason there will be a very long line. You can check you bill in advance so you won't find any surprised. I usually do this once or twice during our cruise.

edna

I actually pay my bill with traveler checks about 9pm the night before disembarkation. I also have them apply any ship board credts I have coming. I don't wait for the bill to come to my cabin. That way I have a very small balance, if any, left on the creditcard for express check out. I avoid having to battle lines at the purser's desk or reconcile debit or credit problems the next morning.

I think the answers you are getting are not to what you meant by "express checkout". I don't think you were referring to paying your bill, but whether you can get off the ship relatively early if you carry your own bags......

Am I correct?

Just think' date=' there are going to be many passengers who have flights to make. They should get first priority over those who just want to get off the ship just to sightsee. Besides many of the attractions will not be open at 8:30am. JMO.[/quote']

Patty, I think you misunderstand this new "carry your own bags off" concept that is being offered. Passengers that elect to do this are given the opportunity to leave the ship before the regular scheduled disembarkation process. They do not delay the schedule. They do not delay people with early flights that elected to have Princess do the bag-drag. They just avoid the wait aboard ship and the treasure hunt for their bags with a couple thousand close friends.

In some small way, express check-out people actually speed up the disembarkation process for all the rest. Less bags for the staff to handle, less people crowding the exit area, less people looking for their bags in the pile and most will have their own ground transport allowing them to clear the port area before the regular disembarkation schedule kicks in.

I would do it too, but the rental car agency isn't open early enough to take advantage of leaving the ship at the crack of dawn.

I think you misunderstand this new "carry your own bags off" concept that is being offered. Passengers that elect to do this are given the opportunity to leave the ship before the regular scheduled disembarkation process. They do not delay the schedule. They do not delay people with early flights that elected to have Princess do the bag-drag. They just avoid the wait aboard ship and the treasure hunt for their bags with a couple thousand close friends.

In some small way, express check-out people actually speed up the disembarkation process for all the rest. Less bags for the staff to handle, less people crowding the exit area, less people looking for their bags in the pile and most will have their own ground transport allowing them to clear the port area before the regular disembarkation schedule kicks in.

Actually, this isn't true in practice. When we disembarked from the Sapphire Princess on New Years Eve among the first off due to an early flight, my daughter was using wheelchair assistance because she's still recovering from a broken leg. There was a line-up at the elevators with people who had all their luggage but didn't want to carry it, delaying those who actually needed the elevator by 15 - 20 minutes. On other cruises, I've seen people attempting to bring their own luggage off and unable to handle their carry-on, "stuff" and suitcases, holding up everyone else trying to disembark.

If you're able to carry EVERYTHING efficiently and without stopping, including down steps or escalator, by all means disembark with your luggage. However, if you can't handle everything, please don't try.

Sorry about the misunderstanding. Yes, I was referring to leaving the ship carrying our own luggage. We don't usually have a huge amount of luggage so managing it on our own would not be a problem. I just wanted to make sure that this was an option. I am going to contact a car rental agency and arrange to have a car for us at the pier in advance of the cruise. Thanks for the replies. :)

Archived