Is Celebrity refunding insurance purchased through them

fgc15527

This may have already been addressed in the many other posts but I can’t find it.

At the time of deposit we purchased cruise insurance through celebrity and I’m wondering if

through their cruise with confidence program are they refunding that charge or applying it to a future cruise credit?

Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, fgc15527 said:

This may have already been addressed in the many other posts but I can’t find it.

At the time of deposit we purchased cruise insurance through celebrity and I’m wondering if

through their cruise with confidence program are they refunding that charge or applying it to a future cruise credit?

Thanks for your help.

I received no FCC or refund on the insurance portion of my booking which was cancelled through the Cruise with Confidence program.

My TA says the Cruise Care portion of my paid in full cruises cancelled by Celebrity will be refunded. I believe that is also on the FAX from X on their extended messages about the current situation. I also am told it will be refunded from a cruise I cancelled before final payment. However, I don't believe the CWC cancellations are getting the Cruise Care cost refunded.

I've read reports here of people being able to have their insurance payment credited toward insurance on a new booking, when it's made at the time (as opposed to getting a credit, and then applying it later). 

In general (before COVID came along), the determining factor on a refund of the cost of travel insurance was not the date of the trip, but the date the policy provided protection.  In most cases that is immediately upon purchase of the policy, so the premium amount immediately became "earned" premium.  A lot of travel insurance policies provide a 14-day (or similar) "look".  If the policy is cancelled in that time - without a claim of course - then there's a refund issued, but after that, there would be no refund, because the policy was providing coverage.  The fact that no claim was filed is immaterial, as you're paying for the protection, which was provided. 

Other insurance products (most homeowner's and auto policies) provide coverage by the day, but you pay in advance for a period.  Lets say I pay a six-month premium of $500.00 on an auto policy January 1.  On January 15, I have a claim for $10,000.00 which the insurance company pays.  If I then decide to cancel the policy at the 90-day point, they will refund me the "unearned premium" of $250.00.  However, with travel insurance the entire premium is considered "earned" when protection begins.  So generally if a trip is cancelled, there is no refund, since the insurance company considers they have fulfilled the policy by providing protection. 

Again, there can be exceptions made, but the above is true regardless of whether the insurance was piurchased through the cruise line or through a third party, since even the insurance purchased through the cruise line is provided by a third party (last I knew, Celebrity's was through Berkely). 

Harris

Denver, CO

8 minutes ago, 39august said:

The insurance refund from Celebrity is only for the insurance purchased through Celebrity. It is called "Cruise Care". I certainly can't speak for third party insurers. 

Yes, and the fact they are allowing refunds is a customer service measure, not something that would normally occur. 

Harris

Denver, CO

A lot of good information - thanks for everyone’s responses.  This is a booking we made at the end of January so we have not made final payment yet.  It was booked as a non refundable deposit booking.  It was also celebrity’s cruise care insurance.  I’ve got a phone call into our travel agent to ask further questions _ I’m sure she is so busy so maybe she’ll return my call tomorrow.

Edited by fgc15527