How to cancel cruise with third party CFAR

NoobCroozer

Hello,

We have never had to cancel a cruise. We have third party CFAR, and are cancelling for personal medical reasons. Do you cancel first with the cruise line or with the third party insurance company? Been on hold forever with the insurance carrier.

Thank you and be well.

29 minutes ago, NoobCroozer said:

We have never had to cancel a cruise. We have third party CFAR, and are cancelling for personal medical reasons. Do you cancel first with the cruise line or with the third party insurance company? Been on hold forever with the insurance carrier.

You will have to cancel with the cruise line before you can start a claim with your insurance company.  The insurance company will ask you for specific documentation.  Documentation will most likely include proof of payment for the trip, proof of cancellation and proof of the amounts that were not refundable.  If there is a possibility that your "personal medical reasons" are a covered reason under your policy, then you will also want to the requested submit medical documentation.  A covered reason will provide you a larger reimbursement.

One more thing. Before you cancel, you should probably confirm the current cancellation policy with your cruise line.  Things have changed drastically over the past few weeks, so you might be able to get your 100%  money back for the cruise and not have to file an insurance claim.  Same thing for air fare.

• Like 1

I agree, but with CFAR, all you have to say is, "I've changed my mind and don't want to take this trip anymore."

That's Cancel For Any Reason

Now, if you want to claim for medical, that's a whole nother story.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

One more thing. Before you cancel, you should probably confirm the current cancellation policy with your cruise line.  Things have changed drastically over the past few weeks, so you might be able to get your 100%  money back for the cruise and not have to file an insurance claim.  Same thing for air fare.

Thanks for the response...

I know that many are offering 100% refunds, but NCL is taking minimum of 90 days to repay, I'm not feeling too good about the industries longevity. Combining our current situation and the uncertain future of cruising, I'm thinking of playing it safe and taking the 75% back in a couple of weeks from insurance.

34 minutes ago, NoobCroozer said:

I know that many are offering 100% refunds, but NCL is taking minimum of 90 days to repay, I'm not feeling too good about the industries longevity. Combining our current situation and the uncertain future of cruising, I'm thinking of playing it safe and taking the 75% back in a couple of weeks from insurance.

I completely understand your reasoning for wanting to take the safe 75%, but here is the problem you MIGHT run into when submitting a claim:

• You have CFAR, so you can cancel because "you changed your mind". The insurance company will pay 75% of the non refundable costs.
  • The insurance company will want proof that you actually paid for your cruise, proof you canceled the cruise, and documentation of your non-refundable costs.
  • For the last part, the insurance company will probably want something from your cruise line or travel agent showing how much they refunded (such as port fees/taxes) and the amount your forfeited. I also bet the insurance companies are familiar with current COVID19 cruise line cancellation policies.
  • So the insurance company might not pay anything until you go through the process with NCL to try to get a refund and either NCL denies your request (or they go out of business).

Based on what you have said, I would cancel the cruise and request a refund from NCL.  I would then review your insurance company's claim forms and the documentation they want.  You can then submit a claim.  The insurance company can always ask for more information, but at least you have started the process.  If NCL reimburses you, then you can always cancel the insurance claim. 

Unfortunately, I think the chances of a quick insurance payment without giving NCL the opportunity to give you a refund, is not very likely.

Good luck

Edited by Jersey42
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 11:58 AM, Jersey42 said:

I completely understand your reasoning for wanting to take the safe 75%, but here is the problem you MIGHT run into when submitting a claim:

• You have CFAR, so you can cancel because "you changed your mind". The insurance company will pay 75% of the non refundable costs.
  • The insurance company will want proof that you actually paid for your cruise, proof you canceled the cruise, and documentation of your non-refundable costs.
  • For the last part, the insurance company will probably want something from your cruise line or travel agent showing how much they refunded (such as port fees/taxes) and the amount your forfeited. I also bet the insurance companies are familiar with current COVID19 cruise line cancellation policies.
  • So the insurance company might not pay anything until you go through the process with NCL to try to get a refund and either NCL denies your request (or they go out of business).

Based on what you have said, I would cancel the cruise and request a refund from NCL.  I would then review your insurance company's claim forms and the documentation they want.  You can then submit a claim.  The insurance company can always ask for more information, but at least you have started the process.  If NCL reimburses you, then you can always cancel the insurance claim. 

Unfortunately, I think the chances of a quick insurance payment without giving NCL the opportunity to give you a refund, is not very likely.

Good luck

Hi Jersey42,

That's a very good explanation of the potentail problem the OP faces.

I'm often asked why the insurance company requires documentation of trip costs paid and money refunded for a CFAR claim. I tell them it's because CFAR pays 75% of their prepaid and non-refundable trip costs, so that's why they need to know exactly how much money was non-refundable.

Steve Dasseos

On 4/23/2020 at 11:24 AM, NoobCroozer said:

Thanks for the response...

Hi NoobCroozer,

If NCL's giving you your money back, you would be better off not filing a claim and keeping the value of your policy to use on a future trip.

Steve Dasseos