South Georgia Islands & Antarctica

jjs217

14 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I'm sure there will be some people willing to pay more because of that phoney fireplace.  We in the UK tend to snigger at such things.  They are rather naff.  However, I do agree that the Venture looks rather special and may well be the market leader in the sector.

The comment about the fireplace was just a bit of color---not the real import of my post.  By the way, I don't know the word naff--I'll have to look it up.  My real point was that the Venture is substantially different, more innovative and advanced than the Quest--and Seabourn is counting on it being a real draw and never contemplated having Quest continue in that arena.  I'm just stating what I heard and observed and not my own opinion about booking.  My husband doesn't want to do Antarctica.  I'm sure he would enjoy it --but that is a subject for another time.  

12 hours ago, SLSD said:

The comment about the fireplace was just a bit of color---not the real import of my post.  By the way, I don't know the word naff--I'll have to look it up.  My real point was that the Venture is substantially different, more innovative and advanced than the Quest--and Seabourn is counting on it being a real draw and never contemplated having Quest continue in that arena.  I'm just stating what I heard and observed and not my own opinion about booking.  My husband doesn't want to do Antarctica.  I'm sure he would enjoy it --but that is a subject for another time.  

I was being slightly tongue in cheek . . . Naff is defined by the OED as 'unfashionable, socially awkward, worthless, rubbishy.' You get the picture.  

I think the cost of these Venture trips is so high is partly down to the two submarines on board - - somehow they must recoup that extra investment, though in these Covid times it's hard to see them being deployed.  I look forward to reading about the first sub to be attacked by a giant squid. 

Edited by Fletcher
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I think the cost of these Venture trips is so high is partly down to the two submarines on board - - somehow they must recoup that extra investment, though in these Covid times it's hard to see them being deployed.  I look forward to reading about the first sub to be attacked by a giant squid. 

As a trip in the submarine would mean close quarters--I think you are right.  From what I have read, some cruise lines are proposing substantial social distancing changes--so I doubt submarines would be a good choice right now.  I find myself wondering how popular they would have been even without the virus.  They will be a substantial add on charge for anyone who chooses to go on them.  As for me, I am too claustrophobic to even consider them.  

Edited by SLSD

FYI, Crystal has a brand-new 200 passenger expedition ship that will be used for Antarctica in the 2021 season. There will be helicopters and submarines. It will approach from either Christchurch or Hobart, and visit the Ross side of Antarctica. 

This would mean much less time on an airplane for us, so this option is under consideration.