Cancellation FCC vs OBC confusion

I've just received a refund from RCI, but pretty confused with the amount. The original cancellation email said that the total cruise fare paid would be automatically transformed into 125 % FCC and the cruise planner purchases would be automatically refunded. As the other option (that would have required filling out a form, which I did not) for the cruise planner purchases was 125 % OBC, I figured the automatic refund for them would mean refund to original form of payment.

Now my refund on the other hand... The email claims that it's FCC, but the amount is 125 % the amount of my cruise fare AND cruise planner purchases combined, even though I assumed the cruise planner purchases would be refunded to my payment card. Obviously something went wrong here, but what?

Does anyone else have experience on whether the supposed OBC is refunded in some other way than the FCC? Or is it somehow combined even though it's not the same thing?

5 minutes ago, Zedinc said:

I've just received a refund from RCI, but pretty confused with the amount. The original cancellation email said that the total cruise fare paid would be automatically transformed into 125 % FCC and the cruise planner purchases would be automatically refunded. As the other option (that would have required filling out a form, which I did not) for the cruise planner purchases was 125 % OBC, I figured the automatic refund for them would mean refund to original form of payment.

Now my refund on the other hand... The email claims that it's FCC, but the amount is 125 % the amount of my cruise fare AND cruise planner purchases combined, even though I assumed the cruise planner purchases would be refunded to my payment card. Obviously something went wrong here, but what?

Does anyone else have experience on whether the supposed OBC is refunded in some other way than the FCC? Or is it somehow combined even though it's not the same thing?

You will have to call to get this straightened out

by doing nothing you should have received a 125% FCC for your cruise fare and your cruise planner purchases should have been refunded.

only if you clicked the link and filled out the request should your OBC have been concerted at 125% and then it should have been at 125% OBC to be applied to any cruise as OBC not as FCC. 

That is of course assuming that things are processed the same way in Europe as they are in North America. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You will have to call to get this straightened out

Yeah, figured as much. Just thinking of waiting for a bit to see if they actually messed up the refunds big time and something appears on my payment card as well.

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That is of course assuming that things are processed the same way in Europe as they are in North America. 

Well the cancellation email is the same for us, but it still might have something to do with cruise planner purchases being in EUR and OBC being in USD though. Guess I'll be making a call later.

Reporting back on this in case anyone has a similar occurrence. Called RCI (apparently a perk of being in Northern Europe includes a phone line with no queue whatsoever, had an agent available right away). The agent explained that due to the cruise not having been paid in full on cancellation (we have final payment 42 days before the cruise), the cruise planner purchases had been used towards the cruise price on cancellation. This supposedly resulted in them being refunded as FCC. The agent was unable to revert it the way it was supposed to go (part FCC, part refund), so I decided to go for a full refund.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is the difference between FCC and OBC?

I did nothing, and was supposed to get 125% FCC for my 17 May departure.   Final payment had been made.   According to their website, I was supposed to have received an e-mail by 22 May.  So far, nothing.  I booked through a TA; they haven't received anything either.  Likely she is going to have to call....    I understand they are busy, but if they can't live up to the commitments THEY, THEMSELVES made, then they need to update their website, so as to reset expectations.