My Oct 10 day is about half empty - upgrade??

stromer

I have the Oct 14, 10 day cruise booked in an outside cabin.  Due to the severe restrictions on getting into Tahiti described in these and other threads, I may be forced to cancel.  

However,  if I decide to not cancel, what is the possibility of an upgrade to a balcony when there is about a 50% or more balcony vacancy rate.  I have looked at several of the earlier cruises and they too are more than 50% vacant - some catagories are 75% vacant.  

This situation has never been encountered before, so do you who have cruised PG before,  think upgrades would be given to all if there was availability? 

Also, would it be wise for new passangers to book a low priced cabin and hope for an upgrade because of the above current facts. 

Thank, Rick    

We are also on this cruise and are hoping it still sets sail. Anxiously waiting to hear from passengers from the August cruises and how their experiences were traveling and also around the ship. The testing before flying is the biggest obstacle for anyone because of the results not getting back in due time. 

We are also on this cruise and are also hoping we get to go.     Since the RT-PCR test is now accepted, I'm hopeful that this will solidify the testing situation.    My understanding from my travel agent and a post from Air Tahiti Nui that she sent me is that tests can be processed in an hour.    So, crossing my fingers that the information is correct and technology will progress to an easy to accomplish, available testing location.   We did upgrade our room to a balcony room.   We were supposed to travel in July in a portal room, but because our cruise was canceled, we had some additional funds to allow us to move up to a balcony room.    Hope all continues to go well in the August and September cruises.   

Hope you all have a wonderful time. We were booked on this cruise but cancelled due in part to the entry requirements and not wanting to be on an 8 hour flight at this time. In our experience, upgrades are possible but likely offered at a reduced rate rather than gratis. 

Please circle back and let us know about your cruise.

• 1 month later...

We were also on the Oct 14th cruise along with 6 other couples in our group.  However, after the issues with the first cruise, we decdided to rebook to June 16, 2021.  We felt it just wasn't worth the risk that one person testing positive would effectively end the cruise.  The great news was - Paul Gauguin basically just moved our bookings, maintaining the same cruise fare and deal we had.  Many in our group were also concerned with being able to get covid test results in 72 hours.  Hopefully by June of next year the requirements will have changed.