Real ID For Closed Loop Cruise From FL

KeepCalmBearOn

My parents want to take my mother's sister for a cruise from FLL, MIA or possibly Port Canaveral (FLL would be the preferred).

My aunt has a Real ID, but not a passport, hasn't had one for at least 15 years and won't get one.

The simple question is, are there any closed loop cruises out of FL where a Real ID + birth certificate is not enough? They've seen some cruises they like that include ports like St Maarten, Cozumel, Haiti and Antigua.

I'm not sure there are any non-river cruise lines which include only US ports. There might be one in Hawaii.

I believe the Jones Act requires shipping lines and cruise lines which serve only US ports on a voyage to have a US crew and US built ship .

23 hours ago, scottca075 said:

My parents want to take my mother's sister for a cruise from FLL, MIA or possibly Port Canaveral (FLL would be the preferred).

My aunt has a Real ID, but not a passport, hasn't had one for at least 15 years and won't get one.

The simple question is, are there any closed loop cruises out of FL where a Real ID + birth certificate is not enough? They've seen some cruises they like that include ports like St Maarten, Cozumel, Haiti and Antigua.

A closed loop cruise only requires a valid picture ID & certified birth certificate...so her real ID (EDL) will be fine. Looks like their considering an eastern or western caribbean cruise. RCI serves all three of these ports...POM, PE & Port Canaveral.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

I'm not sure there are any non-river cruise lines which include only US ports. There might be one in Hawaii.

I believe the Jones Act requires shipping lines and cruise lines which serve only US ports on a voyage to have a US crew and US built ship .

Huh ?....A bit confused by your response unless I'm not understanding the OP's question.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

I'm not sure there are any non-river cruise lines which include only US ports. There might be one in Hawaii. I believe the Jones Act requires shipping lines and cruise lines which serve only US ports on a voyage to have a US crew and US built ship .

You don't need to avoid foreign ports. West coast cruises to Hawaii and Alaska all have foreign ports and as long as they are closed loop, you do not need a passport. I know a lot of the closed loop cruises in the Caribbean don't require a passport; just a Real ID + birth certificate.

What I don't know is if there are any closed loop cruises out of FL where you HAVE to have a passport. It has been many years since they (or we) cruised out of FL and lots has changed since we did.

15 hours ago, Ashland said:

A closed loop cruise only requires a valid picture ID & certified birth certificate...so her real ID (EDL) will be fine. Looks like their considering an eastern or western caribbean cruise. RCI serves all three of these ports...POM, PE & Port Canaveral.

Thanks for the help. They are really just looking for any 7 or 7+ day cruise out of FL. It's more about the ship experience for my aunt than the ports. My parents did the Caribbean to death early in their cruising days (late 80s/early 90s). Now they are doing longer cruises (15+) and all over (South America, Asia, South Pacific, etc).

Edited by scottca075
  • Like 1