Any refund issues involving paying with points?

TBone2K

Elected for full refund back in July. Followed up with TA today only to find out they had issued us a refund two weeks ago, but not told us.🤨

However they only refunded us the cash that was paid. The other part we paid for on points. TA is saying they can't refund points. To me I can understand if I chose to cancel myself, but the cruise was cancelled. Meaning the TA received back all the money they paid to RC, right?

I'm sure this is complicated by the fact that TA and points company are both owned by the same parent... By "points" I mean I went to the rewards company and used my points to purchase a $1500 voucher for the TA. So this is like cash to the TA, right? As in behind the scenes, the TA then goes back to the rewards company and says "you owe us $1500"?

I don't want to use the TA again, I only purchased my cruise through them because of the points. So hopefully the don't offer credit. Should I be expecting back a refund in points? That wouldn't make sense because the TA already has the cash. Anyone else had similar experience.

1 hour ago, TBone2K said:

Elected for full refund back in July. Followed up with TA today only to find out they had issued us a refund two weeks ago, but not told us.🤨

However they only refunded us the cash that was paid. The other part we paid for on points. TA is saying they can't refund points. To me I can understand if I chose to cancel myself, but the cruise was cancelled. Meaning the TA received back all the money they paid to RC, right?

I'm sure this is complicated by the fact that TA and points company are both owned by the same parent... By "points" I mean I went to the rewards company and used my points to purchase a $1500 voucher for the TA. So this is like cash to the TA, right? As in behind the scenes, the TA then goes back to the rewards company and says "you owe us $1500"?

I don't want to use the TA again, I only purchased my cruise through them because of the points. So hopefully the don't offer credit. Should I be expecting back a refund in points? That wouldn't make sense because the TA already has the cash. Anyone else had similar experience.

It's not like cash.  The payment of $1500 would have been made by the points company to the cruise line and the cruise line would have refunded the points company that $1500.  Won't matter if TA and points company are the same.  The TA never had the cash.

In my experience if you pay with points then you will get points back.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

So two items to update....

The reason I didn't see the refund on my CC, was the refund was issued to my previous CC number (same card, just an old number) that I used to pay for the cruise. It "should have" (TM) automatically gone to my new card, of course so the bank doesn't know why that didn't happen.

For the points side, I wasn't expecting cash back, that was just wishful thinking. My point was the TA said they can't do a refund of anything paid for with points, yet they must have received all the money back from RC. Meaning, the TA is the one with my money.

Anyway, I kind of figured they would refund the points and that's exactly what is going to happen. The TA arranged with the rewards company to refund the points. Apparently that could take up to six months to show back in my rewards account.

I paid with my credit card and then used points as a statement credit. When our cruise canceled, I contacted my CC company to ask what happens with the statement credit. They said not to worry about it because they won't do anything. So, I paid $2,000 for the cruise, statement credit of $500 from points, refund of $2,000 on the card. It all nets out to being even anyway, but it was easier to do a statement credit than deal with points refunds.