advice for a first time cruiser family?

1sttimecruiserlady

What kind of advice are you looking for? What to expect? What to do? What to pack?

You've come to the right place for advice, but you need to give us a bit more info as to what you're looking for. :)

I am leaving with my two sons 18 and 14 what activities do they have to keep them busy?

I also would like advice on excursions. Especially on the airboat adveture through the everglades in Florida.

What should we pack for a six day cruise? Thanks.

These are great questions and very common for first time cruisers, but I would advise you to ask yourself some questions also. Why did I pick a cruise as opposed to another type of vacation. Will my kids be ok with the cabins (depending on your cabin it can be REALLY small or very opulent)? Sea days will find you on a floating hotel but you can't go anywhere other than the ship, do you think and the kids will enjoy that. Entertainment is often well done but fairly mainstream, more Columbus, Ohio than New York. If you do your research, and this is a pretty good place, you will find most of the answers you need.

Now- back to the questions- we did an Everglades tour this year during a visit to Florida. It was fantastic. The boys will love it. Spent about two hours on a guided tour tour through the swamps, saw crocs, great wildlife and, at times when we were just purring along, it was incredibly serene.

As far as packing- put everything on the bed and the night before - put half of it back.

There will be activities for the kids but talk to them about what they like and what to expect.

Welcome to the world of cruising. :)

My three best pieces of advice:

1. READ the Freestyle Daily. Your steward will leave the next day's in your cabin every night. LOTS of info re: entertainment times and places, restaurant/dining room opening times, amy theme nights in the dining rooms or buffet.

2. Don't sweat the small stuff but if anything is not to your liking, complain immediately to the correct area. There will be a binder with phone numbers (Cabin not clean enough, call housekeeping; toilet not flushing well, contact maintenance. DON'T pester your steward for EVERYTHING - although he is the first one to contact for extra towels, pillows etc. However he cannot fix your toilet.)

3. Remember - if you don't like your first choice in the dining room order something else AND you can order as much as you want in the dining rooms (e.g you more than one appetizer - no problem)

number one. - Chill out and go with the flow.

number two - do what you feel like doing. I don't mean to invade another's space, but do things that bring happiness to you and your family. Example: sleep late and order room service. If you don't feel like dressing for dinner on formal night use one of the non-formal night restraunts. Lay by the pool and watch the wonderful ocean go by. You get the idea.

number three - remember that this ship has a couple thousand people on it. Not so much for your older son but your younger son. Be sure you know where he is. We want to have a wonderful family vacations. Kids will be kids, but they can get into the wrong crowd and then there could be a problem.

I don't remember where the cruise you are on is going, but no matter, go to the bottom of this board and look at the destinations. There is a wealth of information on each stop. I'm sure you will find something to interest you and y our family.

Lastly remember nothing is perfect - but just go and have a good time. With your children growing up they will be gone before you know it and you will look back and not remember any annoyance but you will remember the happy moments you all spent together.

You'll have a great time!

Pack light, don't pack clothes for every day and you can also wear the same evening clothes a couple of times. Don't take anything along that you have to question what it's for and keep the extra stuff to a minimum. Many people stress more over their clothing than they do port stops.

Study the port stops carefully and choose one main event or excursion for the day. Don't merely go shopping or stick close to the ship, actually see some of the place you are visiting. If you have extra time to explore the port town a bit, that's fine. Don't try to do everything and burn yourself out.

Is your cruise Freestyle? If so, great, you can choose when you want to eat. If not, take the late seating. Contrary to what many people write, with older kids, later is better. You'll have more time to get ready or take a nap before dinner after being active all day.

Know where your kids are. It's easy to think the kids are fine, they can't go anywhere off the ship at sea, but they can get into trouble. I've been lucky with mine, my son is always where he says he will be (I spy), my daughter prefers to be with us. Have a serious talk with them before you go on the cruise, if you have to do it during the vacation, it can ruin the time for everyone. I actually have my kids sign contracts of behavior that I make up :) . Let them have some down time, too, there is nothing wrong with missing an event and just chilling in the cabin to watch a movie occasionally.

Have fun planning!

Make sure your boys know where you will be. If they are roaming around the ship they may enjoy spying on you too and may just surprise themselves and you by stopping by to cheer you on in Bingo, see a food carving demo etc.

I like the previous posters plan of one planned activity per port. That really helped our kids on their last cruise. I also made sure I planned very physical things that didn't involve getting stuck on a bus or train with a bunch of older folks for a long period of time.

They were really awed by the private tour our van driver gave us of the hurricane damage in Cozumel. (on the way to paradise beach.)

These are great questions and very common for first time cruisers, but I would advise you to ask yourself some questions also. Why did I pick a cruise as opposed to another type of vacation. Will my kids be ok with the cabins (depending on your cabin it can be REALLY small or very opulent)? Sea days will find you on a floating hotel but you can't go anywhere other than the ship, do you think and the kids will enjoy that. Entertainment is often well done but fairly mainstream, more Columbus, Ohio than New York. If you do your research, and this is a pretty good place, you will find most of the answers you need.

Now- back to the questions- we did an Everglades tour this year during a visit to Florida. It was fantastic. The boys will love it. Spent about two hours on a guided tour tour through the swamps, saw crocs, great wildlife and, at times when we were just purring along, it was incredibly serene.

As far as packing- put everything on the bed and the night before - put half of it back.

There will be activities for the kids but talk to them about what they like and what to expect.

Welcome to the world of cruising. :)

Thanks for your advice. The reason I decided to take a cruise is I wanted to experience something new with my family and I am celebrating my 18 yr olds son's graduation.

My three best pieces of advice:

1. READ the Freestyle Daily. Your steward will leave the next day's in your cabin every night. LOTS of info re: entertainment times and places, restaurant/dining room opening times, amy theme nights in the dining rooms or buffet.

2. Don't sweat the small stuff but if anything is not to your liking, complain immediately to the correct area. There will be a binder with phone numbers (Cabin not clean enough, call housekeeping; toilet not flushing well, contact maintenance. DON'T pester your steward for EVERYTHING - although he is the first one to contact for extra towels, pillows etc. However he cannot fix your toilet.)

3. Remember - if you don't like your first choice in the dining room order something else AND you can order as much as you want in the dining rooms (e.g you more than one appetizer - no problem)

Thanks I am really looking forward to our first cruise. I can't wait!

See! I told you you'd get help from this forum. Ask any and all questions. You might also try the search section, as you will find that many questions have been asked and answered.

I had a million questions when we booked our first cruise. I didn't care what deck, I didn't care if it was inside or outside (price was my only concern back then), but I was very cruious about what to DO on a ship for 7 days. I was taking my two young kids (12 and 15).

We had a grand time! My daughter still stays in contact with one young boy she met on that cruise. (That was 15 years ago.)

When you get your Freestyle Daily (after dinner it will be on your bed), just read it and plan what you want to do the next day. There's always something to do.

Now, when we cruise, we don't want to do anything except sit on our balcony and relax. We no longer take inside rooms, nor fuss so much over price. We look at the itinerary and the go with it. Of course, it's not quite as pricey as when traveling with two kids, so we often book mini-suites, suites, or the penthouse. I still haven't stayed in an Owners Suite or a Garden Villa... I'm waiting for someone to invite me as a non-paying guest! heehee

Keep asking questions! :)

1sttimecruiserlady- we are taking our 18 yr. old on his first cruise next week. I'll try to post up what worked and what didn't when we return. Also- check out the Roll Call board for your ship. You or your kdis may make some friends before leaving. Seek out advice on the destination forums. From the posts already on, you are getting some great advice.

1) Hat, sunscreen, water. Many underestimate how much faster you'll burn down there. Sunburn can rapidly ruin a trip. Drink more water than you usually do. Dehydration really saps your energy and causes headaches.

2) You probably don't need to pack anywhere near as much as you think, and you can buy stuff there if you forget something.

3) From the beginning of your cruise keep chatting with strangers and making friends, this will make your cruise so much better. It's up to you to take the initiative and be friendly.

4) Relax and do what you want. However, on a cruise it's really up to you to come up with things to do, so you need to be a bit self directed here to fill up some of your day.

5) People eat like pigs on cruises, I enjoy it myself. You will feel far better, and much better energy levels, if you walk around the ship for a lap or two afterwards. Or try walks in the mornings.

6) Attitude is so important. Running a cruise is complex, there are inevitably little screwups even on the best lines. You could dwell on these blips and be grumpy, or smile and roll with it all.

7) When enough people show up the dance floors can be really fun at night, so don't give into excuses not to go.

I'm 21 and about to go on my 4th cruise...my first was when I was 14, and had the most amazing week, which could be attributed about 95% to the people I met through the teen program (it was Carnival)....I still keep in contact with several of them, and that was 7 years ago, 1/3 of my life! Make sure your sons take advantage of the people they can meet...its a captive audience, the only kind of vacation where you spend 7 non-stop days with the same people. At least have them go the first night and meet everyone, and then they can collectively decide to participate in the activities or not. Happy sailing!

I just want to take the time out and say thank you to all of you for your advice. I find it most helpful and I am really looking forward to my cruise.

I really wanted to book a longer cruise but being on a tight budget and not ever going on a cruise. I decided to go for the 6day Norwegian Spirit.

I have seen the photos on the internet and I think it is a beautiful ship.

I do have some concerns about getting lost or one of my kids getting lost on the ship. I am sure that all will work out though and I am so happy to have CC to help me out you are all great. Thanks

Lady

Archived