Your opinions on travel insurance?

klarocco

I've never had problems with TravelGuard. Then again, there are others who "swear by" Travelex [some of their policies include coverage for children at no extra cost]. Others find other policies the best for them. This year, I'm going on two cruises. Since they're totally different "experiences" [one goes to Europe...the other the Caribbean], I got policies from two different companies. The policies have different things they cover/amounts they'll pay.

Different insurers are "best" at different things. The website below will let you compare policies....and their coverage.

http://insuremytrip.com

Our TA gets us Global Alert. $99 for the two of us, but does not include emergency evacuation. I'm checking into the cost to add this tomorrow. Which ever one suits your needs the best, be sure it covers all dates of travel especially if you travel to the port a day or more before departure or plan a post-cruise stay before returning home.

I've never had problems with TravelGuard. Then again, there are others who "swear by" Travelex [some of their policies include coverage for children at no extra cost]. Others find other policies the best for them. This year, I'm going on two cruises. Since they're totally different "experiences" [one goes to Europe...the other the Caribbean], I got policies from two different companies. The policies have different things they cover/amounts they'll pay.

Different insurers are "best" at different things. The website below will let you compare policies....and their coverage.

http://insuremytrip.com

THX for that link!

We've been on 11 cruises and always buy trip insurance.

Of course, the cancellation coverage is what most people think about, but my #1 concern is the amount emergency medical evacuation insurance. You never know when something may happen and it can easily cost $30,000 or more. Most typical medical insurance policies you already have don't cover that.

I read all the fine print on each policy before I buy it. (I know I'm anal, but what is covered really vary quite a bit under each policy. Don't just look at the summary of coverages under something like http://www.insuremytrip.com -- read each policy for the details.) We've bought from Travelex, Access America, and TravelGuard. I'm considering those and TravelSafe for my next cruise which I just booked.

Also, most policies waive most pre-existing medical conditions if you purchase the policy within 14 or 21 days of first putting money on a trip.

We also fly in at least one day early and add the flight costs into the trip insurance policy.

We've been lucky enough to never have a claim. How a claim is handled is the true test of an insurance policy.

I insured our trip to Rome and a cruise on the Liberty last September through Travelex. Our only problem on the trip was that my camera was stolen in Rome. I bought a new one there before the cruise and Travelex sent me replacement price which was $100.00 more than I had paid for the stolen camera. I will definitely use them again.

After checking the different policies on insuremytrip.com, I went with Travel Guard. It was $86.00 total for both of us. As said above, read the fine print before buying any policy. The least of my concerns was medical as I am covered internationally, including all the ports we will be stopping in. The extra evacuation benefit is nice. I mostly get the insurance for trip interruption (bet alot of people today wish they had it) and lost luggage and the such.

Our TA gets us Global Alert. $99 for the two of us, but does not include emergency evacuation. I'm checking into the cost to add this tomorrow. Which ever one suits your needs the best, be sure it covers all dates of travel especially if you travel to the port a day or more before departure or plan a post-cruise stay before returning home.

Global Alert includes $100,000 for medical AND emergency evacuation (it's a combined benefit). To compare, the Travelex TraveLite plan has a combined benefit of $50,000.

Just for Canucks the insurance is not that cheap.. we have to pay around 350 for 2 people for insurance... Unless there are other Canucks out there that got cheaper;)

That seems like a lot!:eek: We paid 150 for Blue Cross through our TA. Now that doesn't include medical we have another plan for that that is good all year. Did yours include the medical too?

Travelex... $95 for both my wife and I: $50,000 medical and emergency evacuation, and the coverage is primary. That is, they pay the first $50,000 before you have to call your own private insurance company for any more coverage.

$50,000 should be enough to get you off the ship and back to the States should you have a medical problem.

Oh yeah... they cover trip cancelation too... ..:D

Just for Canucks the insurance is not that cheap.. we have to pay around 350 for 2 people for insurance... Unless there are other Canucks out there that got cheaper;)

Remember that most of the policies mentioned in this thread (Global Alert, Access America, CSA, etc.) are available to Canadian residents. So if you think you're getting overcharged by the Canadian insurers (mostly RBC and Travel Guard Canada) it never hurts to shop this side of the border.

Archived