Silver Origin August 2021

Oldiesfan

We are taking a leap of faith and have booked space on the Origin for a Galapagos sailing in mid August.  So far, have not been able to ascertain what provisions either Silversea or their parent Royal Caribbean have made for rapid COVID testing prior to return repatriation flights to the U.S. from Ecuador, specifically from the Quito airport.  As it stands today the U.S. requires ALL returning international passengers, even if you have been vaccinated to have a documented Negative test result before being allowed to board the flight in Ecuador!

If anyone has booked this itinerary in Equador with Silversea has any updated intelligence Iwould be grateful for the information.

Doug and Kathy

Palm Beach, FL

USA

I understand your concern, but inquiring about how things will work 5 months from now will just be an exercise in frustration. Silversea hasn't announced their final rules for cruises. Countries' rules are changing month by month. Hopefully by about 60 days in advance of your cruise, you should be able to get reliable information, but for now, it's pretty much al guesswork and speculation. Enjoy being booked, and the possibility that there just may actually be cruising by August, and wait for the details to come to you. Believe me, Silversea will inundate passengers with rules, restrictions and policies before anyone heads off for a cruise!

Thanks - pretty much the way we have been approaching but figured it wouldn't to throw the question out to see if anyuone possibly has some vision.  Does not seem to be anybody talking about this date/itineray yet - no roll calls any way.  Guess we sit tight and see what happens.

• 4 weeks later...

We're booked on the Silver Origin in September to celebrate a milestone birthday.  Hopefully by then there will have been several cruises already.  Ecuador is now open to vaccinated or negative COVID testing travelers and the ship is only 100 passengers with few populated ports so were hopeful that it goes!  

We were booked on the Origin December, 2020 to celebrate a milestone birthday....of course that was cancelled. We rebooked for December, 2021. As we ended up booking our own air I tried to book an extra night at the JW Marriott pre-cruise (in addition to the 2 nights included with the cruise). When I contacted Marriott I learned that the hotel is closed. There are no rooms that can be booked and all dates are blacked out. So not only does cruising to this region need to resume in order for the Origin to sail, but the hotel Silversea uses for the pre-cruise needs to reopen. Fingers crossed this works out. 

You're right! The JW Marriott has closed!  The Sheraton Quito (also a Marriott property) is open and available for booking so there is another Marriott option.  In case you haven't seen it, the US Embassy in Quito's webpage has all of the requirements for entry.  Either proof of negative test or vaccination will get you in without quarantine.  We'll need another test to get home.  Wonder if Silversea is providing that?

https://ec.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information-ecu-2/ 

• 4 weeks later...

According to my SS contact they will be doing Covid testing aboard the Origin prior to leaving the ship and will deliver written test results before disembarking.  I ftat is the case no worries - I doubt that a high end line like Silversea would risk stranding the clients in a foreign country.  More likely will cancel if they can't comply with US CDC requirements.  Marriott was still not open and still not taking any advance bookings but since SS made the hotel arrangements they probably are in the process of finding an acceptable alternative property.  I reached out to my contact and hope to hear back soon on what they are doing.