Motion in the ocean

dpepper64

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

My life raft experience was 10 miles offshore Halifax, in March, for survival training, with it running 6 foot seas.  That one got me real quick.

OMG - now that's uncomfortable. Fortunately, we did all our survival training in the pool and also South Shields Harbour, at the mouth of the River Tyne.

Other than drills with dummy rafts, I only ever put one 25-man DL in the water. We had to prove that we could load, launch and tow a 25DL for TC. Just happened to be 30 kts that day. Loaded it up with an equivalent weight of water to 25 people, then when lowering the 60', we were hit with a significant gust of wind that grabbed the bottom of the raft, tilting it about 45 degrees. Was a rather lively ride to the water.

Even towing, I didn't put anyone inside, with the rescue boats towing it the 3 miles to the terminal. Only had about 3 to 4 ft seas, but the raft had a rough ride.

Just can't imagine how uncomfortable your experience was in 6' seas.

Thanks to the various posters who refuted the "everyone gets motion sick at some point" comment. 

It would seem the people who are easily afflicted with motion sickness resent those of us who don't and warn that it is only a matter of time until we are in a situation where motion sickness gets us too.

In return, I privately hope for a little rough weather on a cruise. Heavy seas are exciting. They also mean no lineups at the buffet, the MDR is largely empty and I walk through the corridors bumping into walls without people automatic thinking I'm drunk even when I've had a few too many. 🙂 

• Like 2

I can only remember feeling ill on board once....

As students, we packed our own food for the 2 night ferry trip from the UK to Sweden.

I ate a final cheese  sandwich on the last day... Everyone suggested it was sea sickness, but I still avoid processed cheese slices in stale white bread...  🤢