Skalanes nature reserve Day 5 excursion

babs711

We are on the July 10 cruise.  Signed up for the excursion to Skalanes on Day 5,  I. Wonder if someone from one of the earlier cruises going to Skalanes will be so kind as to post how they  liked the excursion?     How was the ride to get there?  Was it difficult to board the vehicle?  Overall, did you enjoy the excursion?
thank you,

Barbara and Stan. (California)

A live thread for the Iceland cruises will open on or around June 21. A link will be posted in all the roll calls and on the Iceland General thread (in this forum).  If you post your question there, hopefully someone will answer your question once they complete the tour.  

I'm booked on the July 3 sailing and the Skalanes excursion. I plan to post about all of the tours we do  in the live but should I forget, please give me a nudge.  

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

A live thread for the Iceland cruises will open on or around June 21. A link will be posted in all the roll calls and on the Iceland General thread (in this forum).  If you post your question there, hopefully someone will answer your question once they complete the tour.  

I'm booked on the July 3 sailing and the Skalanes excursion. I plan to post about all of the tours we do  in the live but should I forget, please give me a nudge.  

We are doing Skalanes on the first cruise, leaving June 26.  I will try to remember, but again, if I forget, just ask the question again.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 6:44 PM, babs711 said:

We are on the July 10 cruise.  Signed up for the excursion to Skalanes on Day 5,  I. Wonder if someone from one of the earlier cruises going to Skalanes will be so kind as to post how they  liked the excursion?     How was the ride to get there?  Was it difficult to board the vehicle?  Overall, did you enjoy the excursion?
thank you,

Barbara and Stan. (California)

Sorry - hit reply before I wrote it.

We took Viking's Iceland/Norway cruise in June of 2019. The Skalanes excursion was one of the highlights for us.

The vehicles that are used are 4 wheel drive smallish buses that are able to cross over 3 streams on the drive to and from the Center. They are not luxury vehicles, but I was not uncomfortable. The drive to and from Skalanes is beautiful. 

Thanks for the info. Sounds beautiful!

Was it easy to get on the vehicle?   I read a couple of reviews that warned about the high step, so I wonder if there is a handrail or step stool?

The vehicle is definitely high so that it can drive through the streams, so I think the step up was high, as it would have to be. I do not specifically remember whether there was a step stool, but I think there may have been.

17 hours ago, babs711 said:

I read a couple of reviews that warned about the high step, so I wonder if there is a handrail or step stool?

When you ask on the "live" thread, please include this in your question.  The folks on the June 26 cruise who read the question may not be following this thread and there is no guarantee that I will remember.

1 hour ago, babs711 said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will be sure to post the question on the thread  of the earliest cruise,,,,

We are working on running one thread for all the sailings. We already have volunteers from the first three sailings to keep the thread going and hopefully other from subsequent sailings will sign on to keep the information flowing in one place.

• Like 1