Drink Package Price Onboard vs. In Advance

I generally see a discount on drink packages prior to sailing.  I have not noticed a drop in price on our upcoming Adventure sailing.  I am thinking they may not offer a sale with reduced revenue.  We don't sail until July 10th.  Has anyone with an earlier sailing seen a discount? 

I am willing to pay the full asking price just for the privilege to sail, but might as well get the discounted price if they offer.

If the price on the cruise planner doesn't drop, I will probably wait to purchase onboard.   

Normally when they have the price to prebuy they will say 20 to 40 percent off, if you add the 20 percent that should the price on board. We are diamond plus so I get 30 percent so I only prebuy when it’s greater than 30 percent.

1 hour ago, BOAZ5 said:

If the price on the cruise planner doesn't drop, I will probably wait to purchase onboard.   

Unless you are D+ (like George C) or above, never, never, NEVER wait to purchase on board. Why would you pay more if you don't have to?

Edited by ramja96
  • Like 1

It is inconceivable there won't be a cruise planner sale that will be available before your July 10 sailing. Independence Day. Now it's certainly slightly possible they'll choose not to put the drink packages on sale for the Adventure sailing, but we just went through that for the June 12 sailing and it went to the same 30%-off offer it kept going to at every sale since the sailings were first announced.

If you want to look through some cruise planner price histories, I've been trying to keep them before and after each sale. Here's all the sailing I've done this for prior to your sailing.

Adventure of the Seas, 6/12/2021 (2150.com)
Adventure of the Seas, 6/19/2021 (2150.com)

Adventure of the Seas, 6/26/2021 (2150.com)

If you watch this link, you'll get the cruise planner sale info when they next get one scheduled. It usually is updated maybe 4 days or so prior to he beginning of a sale:
https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Promotions/Snapshot_of_CruisePlanner_Offers.pdf

29 minutes ago, ramja96 said:

Unless you are D+ (like George C) or above, never, never, NEVER wait to purchase on board. Why would you pay more if you don't have to?

That's sound advice.

Sometimes they will offer the last cruise planner pricing for the sailing before they stopped selling in advance on the first day of the sailing onboard. However they will usually get obsessed with the actual wording of the sale. For example, we've all become accustomed to their idea of "Buy One Get 50% off One" in Cruise Planner sales, where an individual just sees that as a 25% discount. But onboard that offer on a beverage package is interpreted literally. The first package you buy will be 100% of the onboard price. The second you buy for someone else in your cabin it will be 50% of that price. So a solo traveler is stuck.

And that's of course, if they even make that offer on Day 1 of the sailing, which while common, isn't guaranteed either.

Edited by dswallow
  • Like 2