I want our pleather document folders back (tears)

atexsix

9 hours ago, margretha said:

Hey Darfun,

Could you let me know if you'd like this pleather-rich travel doc case from HAL? If I don't hear soon I'll give it to someone else who did contact me.

This time next year we will be on board and at sea! Cannot wait!

margretha

I emailed you. Hopefully I’m not too late. 

On 6/20/2021 at 5:01 AM, Hflors said:

They represent the an age in cruising that is quickly disappearing.  The age of"elegance".  Those days are gone forever.   The days of promenade decks, formal nights were everyone on board dressed in tuxes and long formal wear, and top notch service.  On our first cruise our servers were two gentlemen, a server and a helper.  They had two tables!  They were at your beck and call for the whole meal.   In those days the place settings were the full settings.  Each course was served individually.  After each course all the dirty dishes were wisked away as soon as you finished.  Lastly, the promenade deck. A wonderful place to walk or sit with your morning coffee or an evening drink and watch the ocean slip by.  (Sigh)  yes those were wonderful trips that are only experienced as memories....

And I remember that after the main course, they would come to the table and 'brush' away the crumbs before they brought the dessert. I miss all that. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BobbiSox said:

And I remember that after the main course, they would come to the table and 'brush' away the crumbs before they brought the dessert.

Once upon a time.....yes, I do remember.  The cruise dining experience, to use terms from earlier era, has gone from First Class to Cabin Class to Tourist Class with specialty restaurant options available that try to represent Cabin Class or First Class.

An exception to my above statement would be the dining experience that HAL provides on their cruises that exceed the 7 day itineraries.  While the 7 day itinerary dining is acceptable, it pales in comparison to cruises of longer duration.  The longer the cruise, the more "First Class" the dining experience becomes.      

Never experienced it,  but the descriptions I have read of the experiences of guests on Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth in their Verandah Grill have yet to be duplicated on any of the cruise ships of today.