RCCL response to alcohol questions

pxy cda

I emailed the line with the following questions:

Can we bring wine on board (what is the limit?) - we are not looking to bring more than 2-3 bottles.

Where can the wine be consumed? (we were hoping cabin and dining room)

When does a corkage fee apply and how much?

Here is their response (dated February 14, 2006):

All cruises beginning August 5th 2005, discontinued the program of guests purchasing alcohol from the shops onboard for in-stateroom consumption on payment of the corkage fee.

From that date forward all bottles of alcohol purchased onboard will be delivered to the guest's room on the last day of the voyage.

Bringing Beverages onboard: We do not allow guests to bring their own beverages onboard. This includes: liquor, wine, beer, soda, or self produced products (example: home made wines).

An exception to the rule is: For guests who have a unique request for wine (only), and is not listed in the wine list, Royal Caribbean will allow a maximum of two bottles of wine. A corkage fee of $12.00 per bottle will be charged. We do not allow more than two bottles. We do not provide authorization or documentation.

Please contact our Gifts and Gear department at 1-800-722-5472 for our wine list.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

So if you want to colour within the lines so to speak - you can bring on two bottles of "unique" wine and pay $12 per bottle corkage. :D

The "turning a blind eye" in the application of this policy remains up for debate and it would appear to depend on the whims of the officials on that particular day. ;)

On our European cruise last sept . we purchased wine onshore and brought it back to the ship with no problem . the wine was in bag only and went through the xray machine without anything else with it . it left no doubt what was in the bag I carried on.

I guess bringing your own and hoping for a 'blind eye" day is worth it, as long as having the bottle taken away and not returned is acceptable.

I think what they do if you're "busted:( " is to confiscate the bottle and return it at the end of the cruise. Seems to me that you can risk it and play dumb if it's found?:rolleyes:

But if you want to play by the rules - they do allow 2 bottles of wine ("unique wine")

This is news to me - we brought 6 bottles (not on the list) on board our ship last October and brought a bottle to dinner each night (paid the corkage fee, of course) and it wasn't a problem. The wine was not discreet, we gave them our shipping box of wine, so I think this must be an unenforced rule to only allow 2 bottles.

Archived