Canceling a cruise purchased with future cruise credits; what happens to the original credits?

gadaboutgal

I had 2 future cruise  credit certificates that were issued before covid for missing ports.                                                                                                        I applied them to a cruise that I will be canceling.  Does anyone know what will happen to the credit certificates afterward.                              I've called msc twice and neither Rep could provide an answer and referred me to send an email to Existing Reservations. 

A week later and I have not receive an answer.

Anyone have any info?   Has anyone else canceled a cruise that was paid for with cruise credits?   

1 hour ago, gadaboutgal said:

I had 2 future cruise  credit certificates that were issued before covid for missing ports.                                                                                                        I applied them to a cruise that I will be canceling.  Does anyone know what will happen to the credit certificates afterward.                              I've called msc twice and neither Rep could provide an answer and referred me to send an email to Existing Reservations. 

A week later and I have not receive an answer.

Anyone have any info?   Has anyone else canceled a cruise that was paid for with cruise credits?   

I think if you cancel you are SOL.  They are "non-refundable and non-transferrable".  For this reason, I generally recommend against taking FCCs.  Get the cash back and rebook.

From MSC: "No, the Future Cruise Credit is non-transferable and non-refundable."

Edited by Stockjock

1 hour ago, gadaboutgal said:

bummer.       However, thank you for the info.  I guess I can stop trying to get an answer out of MSC.

I would still try, as their answer means a lot more than mine.  Maybe you can kick it forward to another cruise?  Not sure.  Pretty sure that a flat-out cancellation results in a forfeiture of FCC, but talk to them and let us know how it went.

Also, if you are in the USA, I'd call the following number rather than the regular number, which is the Resolutions Dept: 866-420-3584.  Not sure what they can/will or can't/won't do, but they often do seem to have more abilities than the standard customer service agent.  That said, I'd have a future cruise in mind to book, just in case they can move the FCC to that one.

Edited by Stockjock

I believe that language means you cannot give your FCC to someone else can you cannot exchange it for cash. However, I believe you can get credit back for it.

But like stockjock said, their answer means more than mine 🙂

14 hours ago, gadaboutgal said:

bummer.       However, thank you for the info.  I guess I can stop trying to get an answer out of MSC.

I called MSC to cancel my FCC and while on the phone I asked about your situation.  Based on my conversation, it appears to me that you can get a refund.  If you're outside of the penalty phase, I believe you can get a cash refund or move the FCC to a future sailing (I prefer cash).  If inside of the penalty phase, you may be able to move the FCC and deposit to a future booking before some time in April pursuant to their 48 hour Covid cancellation policy.

Again, I do recommend that you call the phone number I referenced earlier.  I called them today and the wait was quite short.  If you get a recording going on and on about Covid, press zero to skip it.

Edited by Stockjock