Anyone ever been on splendour?

We are going on the splendour of the seas on March 27. I was just wondering if anyone has ever been on it and what was your opinion of it? Also, do you think there will be a ton of teenagers since it is spring break season??? I didn't think about that when I booked because our spring break is over at the beginning of March. I'm going with my husband's family who has only been on Carnival. I think they are doubtful if they will like RCCL as well because they had such good times on CCL. Anyone ever been on both and have an opinion?? Thanks for any info!

We are going on the splendour of the seas on March 27. I was just wondering if anyone has ever been on it and what was your opinion of it? Also, do you think there will be a ton of teenagers since it is spring break season??? I didn't think about that when I booked because our spring break is over at the beginning of March. I'm going with my husband's family who has only been on Carnival. I think they are doubtful if they will like RCCL as well because they had such good times on CCL. Anyone ever been on both and have an opinion?? Thanks for any info!

It has been a few years since we were on the Splendour but it has always been one of our favorite Vision class ships. We did an eleven night cruise on her and were never bored or without something to do. While we now prefer to sail on Radiance class ships, which in many ways could be described as super-Vision ships, and we have enjoyed our times on Voyager class ships, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend sailing on the Splendour.

If your husband's family approaches this cruise with the view that they won't like it as much as they did their Carnival cruises, they might be creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. It really doesn't pay to try to compare cruises even on ships of the same line. If they go with an open mind and are determined to have a great time, they are more likely to come away raving about their cruise. We have sailed on both Carnival and RCI and while we prefer RCI for any number of reasons, we can have a great time on either line.

In my mind, groups usually can make their own good times so the ship or line plays a lesser role in how much they enjoy themselves. I know that when my wife and I cruise by ourselves it is a different experience than when we cruise with a group of friends. Different doesn't necessarily translate into better or worse. Tell everyone to relax and not to spend much time comparing their experiences on RCI with those they had on Carnival and everyone should have a great cruise.:)

I've done Splendour, never Carnival though. Thoroughly enjoyed the ship and activities. Bet there will be tons of kids on board, Spring Break. If your family enjoyed Carnival, my guess is that they will like Splendour even better, as most (not all) do.

Have fun!

Thanks guys for the advice, we have a fun-loving family and I'm sure we'll have a good time. My husband and I personally picked out this cruise and I just don't want to be responsible if everyone else is let down... now I think I will relax and not worry about it. It sounds like we will be pleased. Thanks again!:)

I went on the Splendour earlier this month. It was a lovely ship. I had no complaints with the food (except the steaks, don't order the steak!) or service or activities. There may be quite a few kids on it due to spring break. I too, picked out the cruise, ship, excoursions for everyone and worried about whether or not they would have a good time. They will. There is stuff for everyone. Have a great time!

We took a cruise on Splendor Feb. 4-9. After taking multiple cruises on other Royal Caribbean ships we were a little disappointed due to the fact that it is a smaller ship. Be sure to bring something to cushion your mattress and your own pillow. Also the boat was extremely rocky and our room made a lot of noise...if you get sea sick be sure to bring your meds. The staff was extremely nice and helpful and we thought that the food was good, even the steak. I have been on cruises before with lots of kids, but you really don't notice them, there are tons of activities for kids on the boat seperate from the adults.

We just cruised on her in January and liked her so much we booked for next January. We do, however, like the smaller ships. We didn't have any problems with sea sickness. Weather should be warmer when you sail in March. We enjoyed the miniature golf and the food. (I did have an overcooked steak though.) Looked like there was plenty to do - same sort of activities as were offered on the Carnival Elation. (The usual dance classes, contests, bingo, etc.) There were special dance evenings (Disco, Country) that sounded like they were enjoyed by all. Your family should, by all accounts, enjoy the Quest. Our table mates enjoyed the family karaoke. I have learned through these boards to ask for an egg crate for my mattress and I did onboard the Splendour. I think you'll have a ball!

Did Christmas and News Years on Splendour in '04. Kids there? You bet! Bothered by them NOPE! Why? We went to the adults only pool area and saw NO children there! We ahve done Carnival and RCCL. 2 a piece. We prefered RCCL. Not a big party atmosphere. Always felt like we 'had' to drink aboard Carnival- we didn't feel that push on RCCL. At least not on Splendour or Rhapsody. WE thought the food was good. Never had a bad steak- and my DH ate a lot of steak. I think you should enjoy Splendour. WE liked the little mini golf course on Splendour. Seemed like there was always something to do. I didn't have a problem with sea sickness- and yes I do get sea sick. I guess it depends where you are and what the weather is like. most importantly: HAVE A GREAT CRUISE! Have fun! Gabrielle

What an incredibly beautiful ship. I absolutely loved her. There was a bit more motion than on the Voyager, but certainly not what I would consider a problem.

People get all caught up in the worry about there being lots of kids. It certainly wasn't an noticeable issue for us. We cruised at the height of spring break and I was told that there were 493 kids out of a passenger list of 2002. I never did figure out where 90% of them were. Bear in mind that the number includes a large number of older teens who behave responsibly and are indistinguishable from young adults. And most of the active elementary and middle school kids are hanging out in Adventure Ocean.

Sailed her in Europe last sept . we had a great time and enjoyed it . this was our first cruise and the ship and crew are fantastic . cabin steward was Eduardo and we hardly ever saw him , bur knew he was there everyday to take care of us .it was not his fault we were gone all day on tours . in the dining room ask for Marvin for your waiter he is excelent and was a pleasure to be served by him .

My wife and I returned from a 10 day cruise this past January. We loved it!!!! The service was great in every respect. Food was very good to excellent. My only complaint was that the matresses were not that comfortable but sleepable. I wrote in my suggestion that a memory foam topper would be a cheap fix for RCI.

We sailed on the Splendor Jan. 2005 and loved it. Dining room staff went above and beyond what was expected to make sure we were happy. Shrimp cocktail was served and our waitress found that it's my 12 yr. old daughter's favorite. She had one waiting for my daughter when we got to dinner the next night. We tried to give the room steward $20, just to start the week off, making sure he knew there would be more at the end of the cruise. He refused saying he would take good care of us and wanted only what he earned. To wait until the end of the cruise and give him what we wanted to.

We were on deck 6 and did notice a slight vibration but found it relaxing. Kind of like one of those vibrating beds.LOL As far as swaying and rocking, only on the last night when we hit a bit of rough seas but nothing we couldn't handle. My husband is very prone to sea sickness but he took ginger capsules and Bonine and didn't have any problems as all. And if you need more pillows or something for you mattress or extra chocolates(LOL), just ask your room steward.

I went on what I believe was the first ever passenger sailing of Splendour 2 nights - Harwich to Amsterdam and back (keeping my Mother company). I always looked back fondly on that experience and tried for many years to convince my husband to take a cruise with me but he is a classic Yorkshireman - not tight but has to always get value for money, he's also a very fussy person and I was worried that something that I had recommended might not live up to expectations.

Eventually we booked a cruise - coincidentally the Splendour again - last October from Barcelona. Everything was perfect. My husband is now convinced. As a teacher though I am limited as to holiday times - we wanted to go further afield next time. So ... we'll be on the Enchantment next February (half term).

The point of this ramble is ... if my husband was satisfied, I'm sure anyone would be!

We were just on the splendour Feb 4-9, 2006 and found it was a very nice ship. It did show a little wear and tear but it is to be expected on an older ship. Even though it is in the same class as Rhapsody it did seem a lot smaller. I agree about the mattresses, if you look at the bed frame it is two cots pushed together. This time we had an ocean view mid deck which was ok because it was to cold to be out on the balcony anyway. The windjammer is a little cramped as you try to move from one area to another. My other complaint about the windjammer was no vanilla sauce and bread pudding! This has become one of my cruise favorites. My husband was happy because they have the omelette station with shrimp on it that is his favorite. The night they serve warm chocolate cake in the dining room don't eat very much and go ahead and order two of them because it is to die for! One night we kept hearing a clanging noise over and over it was also vibrating the bed so we couldn't sleep. They said they would send security and my husband explained it wasn't another room but something mechanical. They sent security anyway and the guys came it and heard it but said there was nothing they could do but they would go down and investigate it. Amazingly it then stopped shortly afterwards. The next day we received an apoligy in the form of a letter saying they could not do anything about it. It didn't matter because it had already stopped. We didn't let this interfere with enjoying the cruise and just took a nap the next day to make up for the loss of sleep!

If you choose to carry off your own luggage be prepared because evidently they let 600 other people carry theirs off too. They had said it would be limited and so we signed up early during the week to carry our stuff off so we could get an early start on our 9 hour drive home and when we left our room about 630am there was already a huge line to get off the ship. It did make it faster and by the time we got to ez cruise parking and loaded the car we were on our way by 8am.

I have never been on a bad cruise yet and that includes this one. The staff was all very pleasant and attentive. This is the only cruise line I have been on that the head waiter actually does anything and she was very nice and came by every night to talk to us and make sure everything is ok. Our waiter was very good and was worried about the ratings all week long. Evidently someone rated him poorly and they took his second seating away from him meaning he only had early seating. What a slam to his pocketbook. He was great for us so I made sure we rated him excellent all the way across. If you are a coffee drinker at seattles best they have a RCI mug and you can get coffee and the mug for like $8 and it is a nice souvenir to take home, they don't have them displayed but if you ask they will get one for you. Anyway I ramble but I hope this helps.

We were just on her 2 weeks ago and had a great time. The crew and staff have to be the most service oriented one we have ever dealt with.

The Solarium is an adult only pool and hot tub area and that was enforced.

We felt the food was quite good, be sure to get the vegetable pad thai for lunch in the King & I dining room.

The rocking of the ship comes from the weahter and seas, not the ship itself.

We felt the Schooner Bar mixed the best drinks and has a classic feel with all the wood and leather.

CARABOU1We are getting ready to go on our next transatlantic in April. Different ship, same expectations. We enjoyed the long sea days as well as the shore days. We did find that by doing research, we could come up with better shore "excursions" on our own. I am not sure what ports you will be going on, but just enjoy the relaxation. We tended to not be bothered by any "small" inconveniences because WE ARE ON VACATION!!!However some people really do focus on that.Pity them, don't become them. I didn't notice much rocking, weather was good, but again, we were on vacation. How can one have less than a good time while cruising? Someone picks up after you, serves food to you, cleans up the dinner dishes... what can be better. Enjoy your time, enjoy the ship. Russ:D

All good questions, and here is a couple of opinions to your questions.

Spring Break begins the week of March 5 for many public schools in Texas. My wife is a teacher and we booked on the Splendour for the second time over the break. We had a blast, the crowds were a mix of families and kids, and the noise was no greater than a summer cruise. Last break my family went aboard the Rhapsody and had a tremendous time. Our group ranged in ages from mid 50's to 7 years old.

Spring Break is staggered over the next two weeks as well, and by the time you sail I think you'd be back to a more adult mix for average age.

We've sailed equal times on CCL and RCCL and like the RCCL better. The Splendour is a sister ship to the Rhapsody, and has some minor differences.

The roof over the Solarium Pool does not open on the Splendour to allow for the mini-golf course. The dining room has a 2 story wall of glass on the Splendour, while the Rhapsody has round windows.

CCL does not have a pool like the Solarium on ships from Galveston. This is a great place to spend the day with a good book, iPod and just relaxing.

The food aboard the Splendour is good but not great, while the Rhapsody has been outstanding every time.

The staff aboard RCCL has always been professional, prompt and accurate with food orders. Carnival has been good, but slightly less in overall quality.

We have sailed from Galveston on the Elation, Splendour, Rhapsody, Ecstasy and have toured and had lunch aboard the Conquest. That ship is in a class by itself.

Finally, we choose a cruise from Galveston based on price and ports. We've cruised from Miami and Ft. Lauderdale and enjoyed Western Carribean ports as well.

Cozumel will take a while to return to it's past beauty, and that might impact our decisions for future cruises. For now, the chance to drive 30 minutes from my driveway and step aboard a ship for a great vacation with family and friends is a perk that we cannot pass up.

http://community.webshots.com/user/blusry

Archived