Difference between Deck 7 balconies on Brilliance vs. Serenade

Our cruise on the Brilliance just got switched to the Serenade. We were upgraded from an interior on deck 3 to a balcony on deck 7. I noticed when comparing deck 7 balconies, ones that are listed as obstructed on Brilliance are not marked that way on the Serenade. Just curious if lifeboats on Serenade don't obstruct the balcony views like they do on the Brilliance? Wondering if they changed the design a bit between the building of the two ships.

40 minutes ago, coast2coast said:

Our cruise on the Brilliance just got switched to the Serenade. We were upgraded from an interior on deck 3 to a balcony on deck 7. I noticed when comparing deck 7 balconies, ones that are listed as obstructed on Brilliance are not marked that way on the Serenade. Just curious if lifeboats on Serenade don't obstruct the balcony views like they do on the Brilliance? Wondering if they changed the design a bit between the building of the two ships.

were you on the Oct 16th sailing? I think I remember you from roll call. If so, when did you recieve notification of the switch?

1 hour ago, coast2coast said:

No, same design but only obstructed if you look down to the water.

2 hours ago, RedIguana said:

were you on the Oct 16th sailing? I think I remember you from roll call. If so, when did you recieve notification of the switch?

Yes, both the 16th and 21st. We received notification of the switch last night around 7 p.m.

2 minutes ago, coast2coast said:

Yes, both the 16th and 21st. We received notification of the switch last night around 7 p.m.

Cool, there is hope. I have not received anything, but online shows as canceled. Obviously this is just conjecture, but it looks like Serenade may be arriving on a canal transit from Alaska on the 15 or 16th.

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

No, same design but only obstructed if you look down to the water.

That's what I thought, but just found it strange that it's listed one way as obstructed on Brilliance (and Jewel) and not on the Serenade (nor Radiance). 

11 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Cool, there is hope. I have not received anything, but online shows as canceled. Obviously this is just conjecture, but it looks like Serenade may be arriving on a canal transit from Alaska on the 15 or 16th.

Yes, I think it was originally supposed to be cruising down in Australia after the Alaska season is over, but my guess is that they're not ready for cruise ships down there perhaps. Guess they figured it would be an easy switch temporarily to go from Brilliance to Serenade until the Brilliance is ready to cruise again.

Edited by coast2coast

1 hour ago, coaster said:

We were upgraded from an outside on deck 4 to a spacious balcony on deck 10 on our move to Serenade.

We have a spacious balcony for the 2nd one on the 10th deck as well for the 2nd leg of our trip. Hoping it's not too hard to do the switch on turn-around day.

10 minutes ago, coast2coast said:

We have a spacious balcony for the 2nd one on the 10th deck as well for the 2nd leg of our trip. Hoping it's not too hard to do the switch on turn-around day.

Hope so. Awesome you got upgraded to a balcony from an inside!

Edited by coaster

51 minutes ago, coaster said:

Hope so. Awesome you got upgraded to a balcony from an inside!

Super excited! This is the 2nd & 3rd time the upgrade fairy has paid us a visit. First time was on the Freedom back in 2016, from an oceanview room on the 2nd deck. 🙂

5 hours ago, coast2coast said:

I absolutely love the Serenade and have stayed in many different cabins on deck 7.     do you know your cabin number yet?

Edited by Sunshine3601

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I absolutely love the Serenade and have stayed in many different cabins on deck 7.     do you know your cabin number yet?

This will be our third (and fourth as it's a B2B) cruise on Serenade, so we're happy to be back on again. We got our cabin assignments last night.

10 minutes ago, coast2coast said:

This will be our third (and fourth as it's a B2B) cruise on Serenade, so we're happy to be back on again. We got our cabin assignments last night.

Nice!  Did you get assigned one of the cabins with the extended balcony on deck 7?

41 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Nice!  Did you get assigned one of the cabins with the extended balcony on deck 7?

No, in fact our balcony is listed as 20 sq feet although on other Radiance class ships it's listed as 41... so not sure? But we're on the starboard side, not on the hump or aft.