Meraviglia COVID Vaccine Requirements (RE: Kids)

Vemnox

We are a family of 5 currently booked on the 10/9 sailing.  2 adults, both vaxxed, and a 12 year old also vaxxed.  However, our 2 youngest, 10 and 6, are not yet eligible.  According to the new policy, am I understanding correctly they now want me to purchase travel insurance?

"Guests who are not fully vaccinated will be required to purchase a Travel Protection Plan"

I also saw from another poster that

"October will be all vaccinated since the Bahamas is prohibiting nonvaccinated tourists until October 31st."

...so can we even go in the first place?

They've also changed my itinerary already from a Bahamian cruise to a dud Caribbean cruise to places we've been a dozen times.  I'm also reading horrendous reviews of folks coming off the ship, especially for those unvaxxed.  What is the refund policy?  I've read about the "Cruise Flex" but it's all very ambiguous to me.  I really don't want a FCC because I'd rather travel somewhere else.

Edited by Vemnox

17 minutes ago, Vemnox said:

We are a family of 5 currently booked on the 10/9 sailing.  2 adults, both vaxxed, and a 12 year old also vaxxed.  However, our 2 youngest, 10 and 6, are not yet eligible.  According to the new policy, am I understanding correctly they now want me to purchase travel insurance?

"Guests who are not fully vaccinated will be required to purchase a Travel Protection Plan"

I also saw from another poster that

"October will be all vaccinated since the Bahamas is prohibiting nonvaccinated tourists until October 31st."

...so can we even go in the first place?

They've also changed my itinerary already from a Bahamian cruise to a dud Caribbean cruise to places we've been a dozen times.  I'm also reading horrendous reviews of folks coming off the ship, especially for those unvaxxed.  What is the refund policy?  I've read about the "Cruise Flex" but it's all very ambiguous to me.  I really don't want a FCC because I'd rather travel somewhere else.

I believe travel insurance is only required for people unvaccinated over 12.  It's listed in the FAQ section and says over 12.

4 minutes ago, slk1000 said:

I believe travel insurance is only required for people unvaccinated over 12.  It's listed in the FAQ section and says over 12.

Yes I see now where it says "Children 11 years old and younger are not required to purchase travel insurance."  That answers that question, but what about the whole thing with the Bahamian gov't mandating all cruisers be vaxxed, even for private islands, prior to 10/31?

NEW: The Bahamas has just announced new protocols requiring any visitors (12 years and older) to be fully vaccinated. Due to this latest requirement, MSC Cruises will now be requiring all guests 12 years and older to be fully vaccinated on all sailings beginning September 3, 2021 through and including sailings of October 31, 2021 departing from PortMiami and Port Canaveral.

6 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

NEW: The Bahamas has just announced new protocols requiring any visitors (12 years and older) to be fully vaccinated. Due to this latest requirement, MSC Cruises will now be requiring all guests 12 years and older to be fully vaccinated on all sailings beginning September 3, 2021 through and including sailings of October 31, 2021 departing from PortMiami and Port Canaveral.

Thanks, I also read this:

https://www.bahamas.com/travelupdates

... which doubles down on the 12+.  Can we still get off the boat at Coco Cay, though?

13 minutes ago, Vemnox said:

Yes I see now where it says "Children 11 years old and younger are not required to purchase travel insurance."  That answers that question, but what about the whole thing with the Bahamian gov't mandating all cruisers be vaxxed, even for private islands, prior to 10/31?

The way I read it on the MSC website is you won't be able to get off the ship if unvaccinated except for Ocean Cay. For my cruise itinerary I don't mind much for Nassau but was wanting to get off to go to Dunns River Falls. I believe if we book directly through MSC as part of an unvaccinated tour we can get out at the port.  This isn't an option in the Bahamas. I'm going to call for more clarification.

3 minutes ago, slk1000 said:

The way I read it on the MSC website is you won't be able to get off the ship if unvaccinated except for Ocean Cay. For my cruise itinerary I don't mind much for Nassau but was wanting to get off to go to Dunns River Falls. I believe if we book directly through MSC as part of an unvaccinated tour we can get out at the port.  This isn't an option in the Bahamas. I'm going to call for more clarification.

The only Bahamian stops are to Coco Cay on my trip since they axed all the other Bahamian ports in favor of Cozumel and Costa Maya.

10 minutes ago, slk1000 said:

- NOT FULLY VACCINATED

Please follow the below requirements to ensure you helping create a safe and enjoyable cruise for everyone:

• MASK REQUIRED: You will be required to wear a mask throughout the cruise while indoors and in public areas. Mask use is not required outdoors. Where social distancing is not possible outdoors, mask use is recommended for all guests. You must wear your mask during disembarkation and throughout the terminal as well. 

• If you become symptomatic during your cruise, you will be required to adhere to a RT-PCR test on on board (covered by MSC Cruises).

• On our exclusive private island, Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve, you can spend the day as you wish or you may purchase one of our many offered shore excursions.

• On all other ports of call, you will not be allowed to go ashore unless you purchase a shore excursion through MSC Cruises. This is to help ensure everyone is following the same health and safety protocol

• For cruises 5 nights or longer, you will be required to take a rapid antigen test within 24 hours of disembarkation (covered by MSC Cruises). If you test positive, you and your travelling party will be quarantined and will be required to follow our health and safety procedures. If anyone in your travelling party is fully vaccinated and non-symptomatic, they will not need to quarantine.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

On our exclusive private island, Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve, you can spend the day as you wish or you may purchase one of our many offered shore excursions.

So this means we can get off there then, correct?

49 minutes ago, Vemnox said:

but what about the whole thing with the Bahamian gov't mandating all cruisers be vaxxed,

I think it's not just related to Bahamas issue. 

As I read the MSC website, all Caribbean (incl Bahamas) has a single protocol for "shore excursions".  Since all members of a family with children 2-11 is considered "unvax" for purposes of shore excursions, then at all ports of call, the only way you can get off the ship (except the private island) is with MSC-sponsored unvax bubble.  That would include locations outside of Bahamas. 

So, you would need to determine if your specific cruise had such unvax bubble tours for each port in your itinerary.

Do others read it differently?

7 minutes ago, KeepSailing said:

I think it's not just related to Bahamas issue. 

As I read the MSC website, all Caribbean (incl Bahamas) has a single protocol for "shore excursions".  Since all members of a family with children 2-11 is considered "unvax" for purposes of shore excursions, then at all ports of call, the only way you can get off the ship (except the private island) is with MSC-sponsored unvax bubble.  That would include locations outside of Bahamas. 

So, you would need to determine if your specific cruise had such unvax bubble tours for each port in your itinerary.

Do others read it differently?

Then that would mean we can't even get off the boat?  In which case I really don't want to go.  I can't not get off for 8 days.

5 minutes ago, KeepSailing said:

Thanks I see it now.  What I'm confused by is why does it say it's okay there, but if you go here it says "Any fully vaccinated guests in the same traveling party with a not fully vaccinated guest or a child 11 years old or younger are considered not fully vaccinated for the purposes of shore excursions. Everyone will need to purchase a shore excursion as not fully vaccinated guests."

The global website (your link) and the US website that I linked have different wording and different layout, but similar effect. 

MSC is taking a more conservative approach to excursions (as compared to some other lines, and what each country might actually allow).  They generally do not allow off boat unless one of MSC's sponsored trips. 

Those have two flavors - "vaxed only" (or for EU trips, "green pass only") and those for anyone (unvaxed allowed). 

I have heard some post on some ports in EU that appear not to be enforcing this, but I do not see it anywhere "official" or on their website that any port is technically "free to roam" (except private island).

Edited by KeepSailing
wording

4 minutes ago, Vemnox said:

Thanks I see it now.  What I'm confused by is why does it say it's okay there, but if you go here it says "Any fully vaccinated guests in the same traveling party with a not fully vaccinated guest or a child 11 years old or younger are considered not fully vaccinated for the purposes of shore excursions. Everyone will need to purchase a shore excursion as not fully vaccinated guests."

Since you have non-fully vaccinated in your group, everyone is considered not fully vaccinated for excursions. You can all go on a MSC excursion but other than the private island, that is the only way that you can exit the ship. You and the young kids can't visit the other islands on your own. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Since you have non-fully vaccinated in your group, everyone is considered not fully vaccinated for excursions. You can all go on a MSC excursion but other than the private island, that is the only way that you can exit the ship. You and the young kids can't visit the other islands on your own. 

I'm okay with that if we can just get off at Coco Cay.  I have no desire to get off at Cozumel or Costa Maya.

I spoke with MSC a few hours ago, we're going on the Meraviglia on October 16, and we're bringing our 6 and 3 year old and also my fully vaccinated parents. My husband and I are also fully vaccinated. She told us that in Ocho Rios and Nassau, we can only get off the ship with our children by booking an excursion through the boat. Or she said we could leave the kids in the kid's club on the boat and go ashore without having to book excursions. 

24 minutes ago, kelikea said:

I spoke with MSC a few hours ago, we're going on the Meraviglia on October 16, and we're bringing our 6 and 3 year old and also my fully vaccinated parents. My husband and I are also fully vaccinated. She told us that in Ocho Rios and Nassau, we can only get off the ship with our children by booking an excursion through the boat. Or she said we could leave the kids in the kid's club on the boat and go ashore without having to book excursions. 

I would double check that..

Even before the covid, most cruise lines would not let you leave your kids onboard & then leave.

That in itself is a lot of liability for the cruiseline.

1 hour ago, Shippy said:

I would double check that..

Even before the covid, most cruise lines would not let you leave your kids onboard & then leave.

That in itself is a lot of liability for the cruiseline.

I will double-check that for sure. We took my oldest on a Royal Caribbean cruise when he was 3 and he stayed in kids club while we went onto the private island for a few hours. His grandparents picked up him later actually, not even us. But for sure I'll check that. Either way, I don't mind having to pay for excursions if we need to.