Cruise Norweigan Fjords in May or September ?

g8way2go

I am debating between booking P & O Iona 7 day Norweigan Fjords cruise May 7th or September 17th , 2022 

as these dates accommodate my work schedule.

What are the pros and cons for cruising on those dates (weather, daylight, what is open or closed etc ?).  This will be my first time cruising with this itinerary.  TIA

Edited by g8way2go
Clarify date

The answer will very much depend on the itinerary - please be more specific - ports are very different and also depend on how far you go north.

My initial though is May - still snow in the mountain and water in the rivers/waterfall, but it might be too early for some ports - sights and activities might not yet be open.

If itinerary inside Arctic Circle very good chances for Northern Lights in September as mentioned by TheOldBear.

Edited by hallasm

Same itinerary for both dates:

Saturday, May 7 London (Southampton), England   6:00pm
Sunday, May 8 At Sea    
Monday, May 9 Stavanger, Norway 9:00am 5:00pm
Tuesday, May 10 Olden, Norway 9:00am 6:00pm
Tuesday, May 10 Innvikfjorden, Norway (Cruising)    
Tuesday, May 10 Nordfjord, Norway (Cruising)    
Wednesday, May 11 Alesund, Norway 8:00am 6:00pm
Thursday, May 12 Haugesund, Norway 9:00am 5:00pm
Friday, May 13 At Sea    
Saturday, May 14 London (Southampton), England 7:00am

I’ll recommend May - snow in the mountains - Temperature will range from 40°F to 50°F.

Be up early at upper deck at sunrise 04:30 am for the scenic cruising of Nordfjord and Innvikfjorden - also when sailing out in the evening - sunset 10 pm.

In Olden visit Loen Skylift viewpoint.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, hallasm said:

I’ll recommend May - snow in the mountains - Temperature will range from 40°F to 50°F.

Be up early at upper deck at sunrise 04:30 am for the scenic cruising of Nordfjord and Innvikfjorden - also when sailing out in the evening - sunset 10 pm.

In Olden visit Loen Skylift viewpoint.

Thank you for your reply.  There is another itinerary to consider ... more ports but I am not sure if the scenery would be better on the first one?

Date Port Arrive Depart
Saturday, May 28 London (Southampton), England   6:00pm
Sunday, May 29 At Sea    
Monday, May 30 Stavanger, Norway 9:00am 5:00pm
Tuesday, May 31 Olden, Norway 9:00am 6:00pm
Tuesday, May 31 Innvikfjorden, Norway (Cruising)    
Tuesday, May 31 Nordfjord, Norway (Cruising)    
Wednesday, June 1 Hellesylt, Norway 6:30am 7:15am
Wednesday, June 1 Geiranger, Norway 9:00am 5:00pm
Wednesday, June 1 Sunnylvsfjorden, Norway (Cruising)    
Wednesday, June 1 Storfjorden, Norway (Cruising)    
Thursday, June 2 Haugesund, Norway 9:00am 5:00pm
Friday, June 3 At Sea    
Saturday, June 4 London (Southampton), England 7:00am  

I think it's a much better itinerary. Ålesund has been replaced by Geiranger.  It provides further scenic cruising on Storfjorden and Geiranger fjord.  Again, it is important to be up at sunrise.
In fact, the same number of ports.  Hellesylt is just a short technical stop from which some excursions depart.
In addition, it is late May / early June where the weather is better.

• Like 1

Geiranger is amazing.  We were in Geiranger in mid-may, and were there 3 days prior to the seasonal avalanche that is needed before they can open the road to dalsnibba.  Even without the Geiranger Skywalk, it was a wonderful day.  The road opens mid-May to June 1st so you should be okay sailing into Geiranger on June 1st unless it is an extremely unlucky year.  

Having sailed in mid-May the scenery was gorgeous, since the waterfalls were really full with all the snow melt, but it was a little harder to arrange tours.  We did a tour of goat farms in Flam after the railroad, and it was a little harder on the company to arrange because the goats were still at their winter farms (they move all the goats late in the spring) and it took awhile for the tour company to arrange our tour.   And as noted above we did miss the Geiranger skywalk.  I knew that was a possibility prior to booking, but had a child who turned two the day before we sailed and this was the only cruise that went to Geiranger and Flam that year on Cunard (Cunard is one of the few cruise lines that takes 2 year olds into their drop off daycare) so we didn't have any other options.    Overall, I was glad to have taken the cruise but with more flexibility, I'd recommend considering the June tour instead of the mid-May one, especially since Geiranger is such a highlight for most people.

• Thanks 1