Yet more questions re possible first cruise

Jammy Bun

We're still debating whether to book a Saga cruise, leaving soon, so would appreciate comments on the following...

Do Saga allocate you to a table in the dining room, at a fixed time each night? We're not really happy to dine with other people, especially in a large dining room. I do know that you can meet some interesting people by sharing tables, but we've had some awful dining companions in the past and with the addition of Covid concerns, would really prefer to dine in smaller venues at a time to suit ourselves. Is it possible to use the alternative restaurants several times during a cruise? And how do you book them? I'm presuming we'd be able to book one meal at each venue in advance of our cruise, and maybe book others if there is availability once onboard – through interactive tv? Is dining available somewhere on the ship throughout the day, or just at limited times?

I see 'inclusive' tea and coffee is served in the lounges, does this include speciality coffees?

Is a Saga cruise really a more sedate and all-inclusive version of a P&O or Cunard cruise? We've watched a few Youtube videos over the last couple of days and it all looks very similar. Very British?

And finally, are masks still being worn onboard the ships?

I know, lots of questions!!! Appreciate any thoughts.

JB

(previous cruises on P&O, Fred Olsen, Holland America, Cunard, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and for the last five years have cruised only with VIKING)

Saga operates a single sitting for meals, so you don't have an allocated time but can turn up when you want during meal times (and you don't have to vacate your table to allow other people to use it). The seating is also not fixed, and if you opt to sit at a larger table your dining companions will change all the time. However, if you want to sit at a table for two, that is no problem. If you wish, you can opt for the same table for dinner each day, but you would have to arrange that when you get on the ship. Dining is not available throughout the day, but only during "opening" hours - however, you can get snacks in the Living Room outside normal meal times. If you like, I can dig out the times of meals from my pre-Covid cruise on the S of D. In addition, you have free 24 hour room service, so you could eat at any time you like in your cabin, if you suddenly feel peckish. 

• Like 2

Following on From Vivaldi's excellent info, the speciality coffees were included when my wife and I were on SoD last year, but of course things may be different in these covid restrictive days.

The ship was indeed very 'British' when we were on there, and as Saga cruises are for adults only, I would liken the general ambience to that on P&O's Arcadia or Aurora, although with a maximum passenger capacity of 999 you may find SoD to be a little quieter than the P&O ships, which certainly didn't bother my wife and I. However, and this is only my personal opinion, Saga provides a much better overall cruising experience than P&O. Of course your mileage may vary!

Maybe someone who has been on a recent Saga cruise will be able to help you out  regarding masks and other covid measures.

Hope this helps. If you do decide to take the plunge, please let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

Just disembarked SoD after a 17 night cruise. Yes still wearing masks when walking around inside ship but when seated they can be removed. However still need to be worn inside the Playhouse.

After November 1st will be possible to explore independently but obviously will be dependent on the host country’s terms and condition.

We had originally booked a b2b but changed our plans whilst on board and have swapped the current Canaries cruise to one at the end of January.

You can arrange a fixed table for 2 before travelling and the table is available until 7:30, if you turn up after that time it might have been reassigned. You will always be asked if you want to share but a table for 2 is no problem.

Wines and beer with lunch and dinner and special coffees available around the ship for no extra charge.

We had a supercraft team on board who hosted various crafts. No charge for any of the materials or tuition.

On our 17 night cruise we visited the speciality restaurants 7 times in total although the menus stay the same in each speciality. There is a steak restaurant, a fish restaurant and an Asian fusion restaurant. Sample menus for each can be found on their website.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LondonLad60 said:

... I would liken the general ambience to that on P&O's Arcadia or Aurora, although with a maximum passenger capacity of 999 you may find SoD to be a little quieter than the P&O ships, which certainly didn't bother my wife and I. However, and this is only my personal opinion, Saga provides a much better overall cruising experience than P&O. Of course your mileage may vary!

Thanks, that's what we thought.  We were last on Aurora in 2015, and after that cruise (where we noticed lots of cost-cutting) we decided never again on P&O.   Quiet suits us.  (Though we did once have a week on Allure of the Seas and loved that it - but didn't class it as a cruise, more of a one-time experience!!!)  

15 hours ago, Glenndale said:

You can arrange a fixed table for 2 before travelling and the table is available until 7:30, if you turn up after that time it might have been reassigned. You will always be asked if you want to share but a table for 2 is no problem.

Wines and beer with lunch and dinner and special coffees available around the ship for no extra charge.

We had a supercraft team on board who hosted various crafts. No charge for any of the materials or tuition.

On our 17 night cruise we visited the speciality restaurants 7 times in total although the menus stay the same in each speciality. There is a steak restaurant, a fish restaurant and an Asian fusion restaurant. Sample menus for each can be found on their website.

Thanks Glenndale, that is really helpful.  We're down to just two choices now - and yes, no doubt you've guessed, it's Viking or Saga.  We've realised that due to increasing mobility issues that we will at some point have to sail with Saga, as Viking is really for fitter people, but until that day arrives we're struggling to get our heads round the formality of British ships!  

21 hours ago, Vivaldi said:

... you can get snacks in the Living Room outside normal meal times. If you like, I can dig out the times of meals from my pre-Covid cruise on the S of D. In addition, you have free 24 hour room service, so you could eat at any time you like in your cabin, if you suddenly feel peckish. 

Thanks for the offer, but no need to do that.  I was just hoping a breakfast buffet might be open till late morning, or there might be a deck bar that served burger type items throughout the afternoon, so that if you skipped lunch you could eat at say 3pm then have a late dinner when the restaurant was quieter.  Room service is OK if you have a decent table.  Many thanks for your input.

At the moment under current restrictions food and drink is not allowed in the Playhouse. Also there is also some sort of live show in there every evening at 9.30pm. Only one film has been shown in the Playhouse on our current back to back cruise. However there are a selection of films available in the cabin.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the answers that you've all given me over the last month or two.  We've at last booked a cruise - and no, not Saga after all.  There were too many things that didn't quite tick the boxes for us (why, oh why, no retractable roof over the pool area!), and the only advantage seemed to be that we wouldn't have to fly anywhere.  So we're having three weeks on Viking Venus, sailing from Athens to Tilbury towards the end of December.  

Enjoy your cruises, wherever you go.

JB

Just now, Jammy Bun said:

Thanks for all the answers that you've all given me over the last month or two.  We've at last booked a cruise - and no, not Saga after all.  There were too many things that didn't quite tick the boxes for us (why, oh why, no retractable roof over the pool area!), and the only advantage seemed to be that we wouldn't have to fly anywhere.  So we're having three weeks on Viking Venus, sailing from Athens to Tilbury towards the end of December.  

Enjoy your cruises, wherever you go.

JB

One day maybe? Have a piece of Apple Cake in Mamsens for me 😋

Hope you got a good deal.

• Like 1