Escape stop at Grand Cayman removed

pbenjamin

Someone in the roll call for the 11/27 sailing of the Escape reports that the Grand Cayman stop has been replaced with a sea day.  The removal of Grand Cayman has been assumed for some time, but this is the first official confirmation from NCL.  We are on a 1/22 sailing with the same itinerary and haven't heard anything yet.  This reduces the itinerary to 2 actual ports, one private island and 3 sea days.  Has anyone else with Grand Cayman on their itinerary received any information from NCL?

2 hours ago, pbenjamin said:

Someone in the roll call for the 11/27 sailing of the Escape reports that the Grand Cayman stop has been replaced with a sea day.  The removal of Grand Cayman has been assumed for some time, but this is the first official confirmation from NCL.  We are on a 1/22 sailing with the same itinerary and haven't heard anything yet.  This reduces the itinerary to 2 actual ports, one private island and 3 sea days.  Has anyone else with Grand Cayman on their itinerary received any information from NCL?

https://www.exploregov.ky/faqs/covid-19-travel-reopening#pre-arrival-testing

Yes, 12/11/21 on Escape as well.

And the last time we sailed in December, GSC was unattainable due to seas vs tenders.

Did NCL build a pier for GSC? Hmm.

15 minutes ago, JennyM75407 said:

... Did NCL build a pier for GSC? Hmm.

Short answer, AFAIK, is no - not suitable for cruise ships to dock, anything in the works for a variety of eco-reasons, not financials.  

We were 0 for 2 on our two most recent planned full day stop at GSC ... seas were calm but too windy and for safety reasons, cancelled and turned into an extra fun day at sea.  

1 minute ago, mking8288 said:

Short answer, AFAIK, is no - not suitable for cruise ships to dock, anything in the works for a variety of eco-reasons, not financials.  

We were 0 for 2 on our two most recent planned full day stop at GSC ... seas were calm but too windy and for safety reasons, cancelled and turned into an extra fun day at sea.  

Thanks for the info! We were keeping track of ships that had plans of GSC prior to ours; only one of like 12 made it in that particular December. 

A day at sea is "nice", but since we've lost Grand Cayman, I'm kind of already thinking, "Yay...another sea day (not!) LOL

But it is what it is, right? Just keep my drink full and set me in a sunbeam!

• Like 1

I am on the 11/27 Escape sailing and can confirm that Grand Cayman has turned into a Sea Day. This was the reason given: Our team has been working diligently with the local government agencies to be able to return to these great destinations. However, at this time, the Cayman Islands are not yet ready to accept cruise calls, and therefore we are unable to continue with the original itinerary.

This was one of the two ports we had an excursion on so a little disappointing but I don't mind an additional sea day. It makes the cruise feel longer if we're not super busy on excursions and are just relaxing instead.