Question about texting and Verizon while on board

Elbygina

Hello all,

I have contacted Verizon three times but still do not have a satisfactory answer.  Do you know if it is true that texting while on board costs .50 to send and .05 to receive?  Used to be but I need to be sure.  I am a teacher playing hooky from school and even though a competent friend will be my guest teacher, I need to stay connected just in case she has questions.  

Thank you for your advice and knowledge!

Colleen

21 minutes ago, kwb101 said:

My wife uses What's App, which let's you text to any phone (if it's installed on both phones). It uses wifi, so there shouldn't be any connection charges. However, I don't know if HAL blocks it. Good luck! 

I can't spell: it should be WhatsApp.

If your phone supports Wi-Fi Calling, you should be able to text if you subscribe to an Internet plan onboard. Put the phone in Airplane Mode, then turn Wi-Fi on.

We have friends who live out in the country, with no cellular access. They have satellite Internet service, which is quite slow, with very high latency. They bought phones that support Wi-Fi calling. They can make poor-quality voice calls with it, but texting works well.

17 hours ago, kwb101 said:

My wife uses What's App, which let's you text to any phone (if it's installed on both phones). It uses wifi, so there shouldn't be any connection charges. However, I don't know if HAL blocks it. Good luck! 

Hal doesn't block it.  I've used it a couple times aboard a ship.