Traveling with minors who do not have passport or state ID's

Lindsay0405

• Lindsay0405 changed the title to Traveling with minors who do not have passport or state ID's

Per Carnival,  https://www.carnival.com/help/3409

It looks like the BC by itself is fine for a closed-loop cruise for children under 16, as long as the children are traveling with both parents.  If only one (or neither) parent or legal guardian is traveling, you may need a letter from the absent parent(s) authorizing the travel.  You'll also need proof of negative Covid test.

If there's time before your cruise, I'd recommend getting a passport for the children, it makes things easier (especially if there's an emergency and you need to get home from a foreign port).  State photo ID wouldn't be a bad idea if their state of residence will do them, then at least you have a picture ID.

18 minutes ago, Lindsay0405 said:

We are traveling with 4 kids 9 and under.  None of them have passports or state ID's.  Will we have issues leaving Galveston and returning with them if we only take their original birth certificates?

Birth Certificate Information

The following are acceptable:

• An original or copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics
  • A clear, legible copy (photocopy) of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified.
  • Birth Certificate Card
  • A Consular report of Birth Abroad
  • Internationally adopted children (under the age of 18): If the adoptive parent was not issued a birth certificate, we will accept as proof of citizenship, a Certificate of Citizenship by the U.S. and adoption paperwork. A Certificate of Citizenship is issued by the U.S. once the adoption is finalized.
  • Guests may obtain a copy of a birth certificate by contacting: The Department of Health and Vital Statistics at: www.vitalchek.com. If the guest has laminated their birth certificate, it is acceptable.

Birth certificates from Puerto Rico issued prior to July 1, 2010 are not valid forms of proof of citizenship and are not accepted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Guests from Puerto Rico either need to present a WHTI-compliant document or a government-issued photo I.D. with a validated birth certificate issued after July 1, 2010.

AND

Photo Identification

A non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

• Driver's License (a temporary Driver's License with photo is acceptable)
  • Driver's Permit
  • School/Student I.D. (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)
  • Government-issued identification card including a U.S. Military I.D. with photo (city/state/federal)
  • Government-issued Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) - for photo identification use only

When you return to Galveston and disembark from the ship, a customs agent in the terminal will ask to see your photo ID and birth certificate, and then your children's birth certificates only. They will ask the minors what their names are for them to answer. Our six year old was shy and wouldn't answer, even when the agent asked a few times, all in a very nice manner.  He then went ahead and let us all through even though she wouldn't answer.

I have not had any problems when taking my children when they were younger or my grandkids.  If you are taking a child that is not your child, I recommend brining a letter from the parents that authorizes you to take them out of the country and a power of attorney for medical issues.  I have brought both and never been asked to show them, but it gave me piece of mind just in case.