Scootaround or Special Needs at Sea on NCL

collboy

I used to rent a scooter from Special Needs and then NCL switched to Scootaround a few years ago. We are sailing out of San Juan and Scootaround (where I pick up and drop off the scooter in my room which I think is less convenient) charges quite a bit more than Special Needs (where they meet you at the terminal and you pick up and drop off the scooter before checking in or covid testing etc.)

It seems I could avoid the wheelchair assistance getting on and off the ship.

What would be the downside to going with Special Needs as NCL recommends Scootaround?

I believe that the only scooter rental company allowed on NCL ships is Scootaround.  

But you are correct that Special Needs will deliver a scooter outside the terminal in San Juan.   

I actually don't see anything wrong with going with Special Needs.  We have had scooters available outside the terminal, which is quite handy since you have your scooter from the beginning.  

Maybe someone who has actually rented a scooter from Special Needs and had it delivered outside the terminal in San Juan can chime in here with first hand knowledge.  

A note about Scootaround:   When you complete their booking form, they automatically add extras to the invoice, such as insurance.   But you can remove any additional item that is listed and bring the price down.    There's also a 15% discount code you can use on Scootaround.  It's USCRUISE

You might try repricing Scootaround (removing the added items and using the discount code) to see what price you come up with.    Then decide which company you want to go with.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Thanks for sharing your experience. NCL now says wheelchair assistance for Embarcation and disembarking is only available inside Terminal.. leaving potential long distances without assistance. Special Needs service outside door of terminal was ideal. Will NCL allow SN outside delivery and onboard use?? I am at port Everglades Ft

Lauderdale Fl usa

16 hours ago, metravelling said:

Thanks for sharing your experience. NCL now says wheelchair assistance for Embarcation and disembarking is only available inside Terminal.. leaving potential long distances without assistance. Special Needs service outside door of terminal was ideal. Will NCL allow SN outside delivery and onboard use?? I am at port Everglades Ft

Lauderdale Fl usa

Do you mean your cruise leaves from Port Everglades?    I don't see that NCL has any departures from there.    

I have not used a scooter before - but, walking long distances and standing have become an issue.  Coming up on Final for Dec cruise on Sunshine from Charleston and will be traveling alone.  Alaska last May was a challenge for me and I'm debating if I can still cruise in this day of bigger and more ships.  Not sure I can see myself using a scooter - have always thought I can do anything.  Feedback?  

2 minutes ago, MizMoon said:

I have not used a scooter before - but, walking long distances and standing have become an issue.  Coming up on Final for Dec cruise on Sunshine from Charleston and will be traveling alone.  Alaska last May was a challenge for me and I'm debating if I can still cruise in this day of bigger and more ships.  Not sure I can see myself using a scooter - have always thought I can do anything.  Feedback?  

Have you considered a rollator with a seat?   At least if you have to stop, you will be able to sit down.  There are many available and you could do an Internet search to see the different types.   If you have a mobility store near you, you could go and look at them in person.   Rollators can be purchased or rented.   Carnival's recommended rental company is Scootaround.  

Regarding a scooter, again, if you have a mobility store nearby, go and take a look and do a test drive so you can get a feel for how they operate.    The scooters that are rented from Scootaround are the Pride Go Go line.   The problem is going to be if you do not have an accessible stateroom.   You would have to check with the rental company and also Carnival to be sure the scooter will fit through your stateroom door.  Possibly Carnival has an available accessible stateroom that your could switch to?   Another thing to consider is a prop to hold open your stateroom door while you get the scooter in/out.   (Some accessible staterooms have automatic doors.)

Don't forget about requesting wheelchair assistance for embarking and disembarking.   Even if you have a rollator, the wheelchair pusher can hang the rollator on the back of the wheelchair while he pushes or you could hold it in your lap.  They can push you through check-in and then to your stateroom or any other public area on the ship.    If you rent a scooter and it is waiting for you in your room, you can still request wheelchair assistance to get to your room.   

I hope you don't give up on cruising.   There are many, many people on cruises who have mobility (and other) issues.    I do know that a scooter has given my husband more freedom and independence than he has ever had and he can't wait to get to our stateroom so he can get "his" scooter.

There are lots of threads on this board about scooters.   Doing a search might give you some insight from others who use a scooter or are thinking about renting one.   

Some information from Carnival:

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/wheelchair-users

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Please listen to Kokopelli!  That's some great advice.  

I'm 77 & have used a scooter on board for several years now; I often cruise Solo.  Cruising is the only way that I can travel, esp. solo.  A scooter (rented) is the only way I can consider cruising on those HUGE ship (3500 pax is my limit).

I can only do some excursions w/my rollator; I can also take it on tenders (scooter can't go there).  So, yes, I usually cruise w/my rollator & the rented scooter (in the cabin when I arrive).  It's all a bit awkward when I board, but the ships offer lots of help (I sail w/Princess).  

YOU CAN DO THIS!

• Like 1