How is Crystal Debussy Dealing with Dutch Restrictions??

Psoque

We just returned home after the Nov. 18-25, 2021 Basel-to-Amsterdam cruise on Crystal Debussy.  As many of you are already aware, the Dutch government instituted a rather strict nigh-time restrictions on restaurant/bars/etc.  Initially, the restrictions, which applied even to Crystal Debussy docked in Amsterdam, began at 8 PM, forcing Waterside/Bistro/Palm Court to close at 8 PM on the final night of our cruise.  Then, this past Sunday, the restriction start time was moved up to 5 PM.

I read that at least one cruise line (A'Rosa) is diverting their Rhine cruise to Belgium instead of stopping in Dutch ports.  I also read that Crystal is currently planning to still stop at Dutch ports.  I wonder how they are going to deal with the current set of restrictions which forces everyone on board to be basically stuck in their cabins from 5 PM until the morning.  Perhaps there is some sort of a loophole Crystal is planning to find?

Interesting. I saw the Crystal Debussy on the river - I happened to be not too far away but was not able to take a good photo. Thought of you. She was in Cologne, but has moved downstream to Golzheim (had never heard of the place before, I admit). It is a Northern suburban district of Düsseldorf, with trade fair grounds, hotels and a yacht harbour. Turning their eyes upstream towards Düsseldorf the passengers see this (a bit of zoom needed): https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golzheim_(Düsseldorf)#/media/Datei:Theodor-Heuss-Brücke.jpg

Presumably, Düsseldorf city centre was the destination from this landing stage.

notamermaid

12 minutes ago, floridacruisegirl said:

Thank you, Psoque: where can I find more information about this?  We will be on the December 16th cruise.

I accidentally found on the Google Calendar link of the piano entertainer.  I don’t think this is official.  Also, I think it is not possible to predict what Crystal is going to do in the future, so it would be somewhat unreasonable to know what Crystal is going to do for the Dec. 16 cruise and by then things has to be different, in respect to the Rhine water levels, the outbreak, and how different countries are reacting to the outbreak.  Only things anybody can tell you, really, is just what has happened and what is going on right now.  I think it is nearly impossible to predict that Crystal is going to do in the future.

The “best” information, as far as I can see, would be hearing from the captain of the ship when you are onboard.  That’s just the reality of the situation.

But my best guess is that Debussy will not be overnighting anywhere in Amsterdam until the current restrictions are relaxed.  We have no idea when or if that would happen before the end of the river cruising season.  Also, I would not expect too many things opening, especially after dark, anywhere along the Rhine, unless the outbreak situation dramatically gets better soon, which I highly doubt would be possible.

I feel terrible for those who paid the premium to take one of the “Christmas Markets” cruises this year.  We did the last week of the cruise on Debussy before the price went up for “Christmas Markets,” and we just squeaked by, missing most of the really harsh restrictions before we flew home.

Edited by Psoque
more info.

4 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I accidentally found on the Google Calendar link of the piano entertainer.  I don’t think this is official.  Also, I think it is not possible to predict what Crystal is going to do in the future, so it would be somewhat unreasonable to know what Crystal is going to do for the Dec. 16 cruise and by then things might be different, both in respect to the Rhine water levels, the outbreak, and how different countries are reacting to the outbreak.  What anybody can tell you, really, is what is going on right now.

The “best” information, as far as I can see, would be hearing from the captain of the ship when you are onboard.  That’s just the reality of the situation.

Thank you, very much, for your speedy reply.  We were hoping our cruise would be cancelled by Crystal, but no such luck.  We are a bit nervous, but it looks like we will be moving forward with the trip (with extra precautions).  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, floridacruisegirl said:

Thank you, very much, for your speedy reply.  We were hoping our cruise would be cancelled by Crystal, but no such luck.  We are a bit nervous, but it looks like we will be moving forward with the trip (with extra precautions).  

I’m afraid Crystal is (at least for now) pressing on with the river cruises on Debussy, probably because they can’t afford not to at this time.  I wish you have a safe and enjoyable cruise regardless of the circumstances.

21 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I’m afraid Crystal is (at least for now) pressing on with the river cruises on Debussy, probably because they can’t afford not to at this time.  I wish you have a safe and enjoyable cruise regardless of the circumstances.

Thank you!!  Your posts have been extremely helpful - happy holidays!!

3 hours ago, Psoque said:

Other lines are also. A friend flew home today from Viking (similar route as you did). Their ship was full. She was hoping they would cancel.

Edited by Coral

15 hours ago, Coral said:

Other lines are also. A friend flew home today from Viking (similar route as you did). Their ship was full. She was hoping they would cancel.

I think different lines are reacting to the situation differently.  Obviously, most, if not all lines have cancelled all of the remaining Danube cruises because of the situation in Austria.  I am also aware that some lines have altogether cancelled all of their remaining European river cruises, even on the Rhine. And some lines, including Viking and Crystal have decided to just press on (with slightly modified itineraries) until the end of the month.  I have a very mixed feeling about this, since those who specifically booked the December cruises on the Rhine (and the Danube) are paying a hefty premium to experience the Christmas Markets, etc. that are the "draw" of these itineraries, and it appears some, if not a lot of, these venues are either closed or closing as we speak.

21 minutes ago, Psoque said:

and it appears some, if not a lot of, these venues are either closed or closing as we speak.

It is very mixed. Some are open, some are not, the Strasbourg and Cologne markets, arguably the biggest drawers, are open. So is Koblenz. Heidelberg is not. Along the route there are enough alternatives to keep passengers happy and the companies can justify calling them Christmas market cruises. The high price can probably be justified when you consider that. But as regards the overall experience and the fun in the ports - and there we meet in our opinions I think - the price is not justified anymore in my opinion.

For next week there may be new restrictions coming in Germany, who knows what will be? No markets? Cologne lasting out while others give up? Even Rostock which is in the North of Germany, a somewhat safer place than the Danube and the Rhine as regards covid so far, has just announced that its market will close.

The Crystal Debussy has entered the Netherlands.

notamermaid

10 hours ago, floridacruisegirl said:

Hi Coral - good morning, have you heard from your friend regarding her experience abroad as well as onboard the cruise?

She said service, staff and food with Viking were outstanding. She indicated Cologne's Christmas Market was busy. She just got home late last night so I haven't spoken to her - just quick emails.

9 hours ago, Psoque said:

I think different lines are reacting to the situation differently.  Obviously, most, if not all lines have cancelled all of the remaining Danube cruises because of the situation in Austria.  I am also aware that some lines have altogether cancelled all of their remaining European river cruises, even on the Rhine. And some lines, including Viking and Crystal have decided to just press on (with slightly modified itineraries) until the end of the month.  I have a very mixed feeling about this, since those who specifically booked the December cruises on the Rhine (and the Danube) are paying a hefty premium to experience the Christmas Markets, etc. that are the "draw" of these itineraries, and it appears some, if not a lot of, these venues are either closed or closing as we speak.

I found this article:

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/europe/europe-river-cruise-patchwork-amid-lockdowns-and-some-christmas-markets-closures-updated

Ama and Tauck kept the Rhine also. I think most lines did.

My friend could have cancelled the Viking cruise under their policy but she was in a weird situation - it was a group cruise and the group wanted to go.