I love my family but cruising solo on the Legend last month was a BLAST!

Silent Penguin

14 hours ago, d-train said:

Love reading about your vacation experience! 
thanks for sharing!

Someday, in the sort of near future, I will be retired with a handful of years before my wife can retire…so looking forward to doing a solo cruise!

I fear if I did that we'd end up in court. Plan right now is to retire at the same time to avoid that ugly proposition. 

• Haha 4

Wow,  do I get the prize for the dimmest bulb? I completely forgot that I never finished this report. 

I left off at a low point. First dinner on board. Main dining room. Me, alone at a table for 8.  The waiters are running around like headless chickens, but I'm not getting any attention.  I'm so hungry I could cry.  I was about to leave... But wait...here comes Kiesha!  She was also a solo cruiser.  It was still another 5 or so minutes before we got a waiter's attention but at least I wasn't lonely and hungry.   I alluded to how slow the service that first night was, so I won't go there again. 

It was just the two of us that first dinner.   Most of you know how long the dinner experience is in the main dining room, especially the first night,  so you might think it was awkward spending that much time with a stranger, but it wasn't.  I have a picture of Kiesha to share later, but here she is enjoying the dinner entertainment...

• Like 2

Urr, someone my age should not put off writing trip reports.  I can't remember squat.  I know, it only gets worse.  Anyway, I do remember not doing much after dinner the first night, and I did learn something from my tablemate Keisha: order a little extra food at dinner time to go to take back to your room for later.  So sensible!  I don't know why I had not thought of it before.   That night and every night after, I ordered a cheese plate to have for in-room snacking.  

Day 1 - At Sea Morning

Coffee and Yoga in the morning!   First,  I  fixed myself a cup of coffee from the buffett area.  I was walking toward the fresh air deck when I caught the eye of a lady who was drinking coffee alone and looked like a nice person to talk to. . Her name was Carol.  I don't remember what we talked about but I enjoyed her company.  But not the coffee.  It was  the worst cup of coffee a person who is not in the Navy (from what I've heard) could possibly imbibe.  My fault,  I didn't realize I filled my cup from the Americano machine, not the regular coffee machine.  Brrr.

The yoga class, taught by Bala, was the most challenging and wonderful yoga class I'd ever taken.  Bala is the best teacher.   There were only 3 students including me.  He got me to do a headstand! 563201641_LegendyogawithBala.thumb.jpg.244fd8ba9ba417aacc3444ccdb3fe6c3.jpg How cool is that?  

Day 1 - At Sea Afternoon

It was a busy and super-enjoyable day.  After yoga (and a shower), I took off to the dining room for brunch.  I requested to be seated with others and lucked out again with tablemates, two couples, all with very interesting jobs.  I learned so much. Are couples more at ease talking about themselves when seated with a female stranger than a male stranger?  I don't know. 

This is my favorite brunch food.  Lox, more lox, and a chia pudding. Not pictured: fresh fruit and french toast

Legend first breakfast chia pudding and lox bagel resize.jpg

Edited by Silent Penguin
picture size too big

Thanks for the feedback on the pictures.  I guess I won't worry about it.  

Day 1 - At Sea , the rest of it 

Our FB group had a state-themed slot glass exchange late that morning that  I forgot about, but I did make it to our FB group Slot Pull at 2:00.   With 41 people signed up,  the turn-out was probably  three times the size of the embarkment day Meet and Greet but the lure of winning money will have that effect.  And we did win a little money!  The very first person to pull won 90 extra pulls, and her wins put us on the path to a pay-out big  enough that, after taxes, we  got our $20  buy-in back plus a little extra. 

Elegant night in the dining room that evening was somewhat elegant.  Most people made an effort to look at least a little more dressed up than they usually would at dinner.  Here's a picture of my tablemate Rick and a picture of me.  I think we look like the typical middle-age  Carnival cruisers on elegant night.  Most ladies would be wearing make up and have their hair looking good, but that's not my superpower by any stretch of the imagination.   I don't have a picture of Kiesha.  She had it all going on!   As for the much anticipated lobster,  it was soggy!  The creme brulee tasted eggy and the shell was way too thick.   Hopefully, most people had better luck with their dinner.  That's okay,  the fellowship (Rick's stories had us in stitches) and the chocolate martinis made everything better.  

Legend dinner friend Rick Hendrick.jpg

elegant night 1.jpg

• Like 2