Testing before returning to U.K.

After the government updated the testing requirements yesterday (Saturday 4th December), how do we think this will work for a Canaries cruise fly back? Will Marella pay for and supply the test or do I need to get them ordered?

I know it is early days but I needed to order soon due to staying overnight before the flight out.

look forward to reading any informed ideas.

Hi

I am on the Canaries cruise on 14th December (or hopefully will be).  It looks like TUI are looking into this and their latest update is cut and paste below, from their travel alert page, (hope I am allowed to quote).  

The way I see it (and just my theory from having had testing at Southampton Port Aug/Sept this year) is we will be required to have controlled test at the airport.  Our PCR Southampton testing took minutes to complete by medical staff (not including queuing) and results texted within 30 minutes.

If Marella are able to facilitate that kind of testing, it could work.

I am more worried about the scenario of testing positive at the airport and having to quarantine overseas as I don't think my insurance will cover those costs but will be calling my insurer tomorrow to find out.

A bit of a worry.

TUI site guidance:

We’re aware all passengers entering the UK will now need to have a negative lateral flow or PCR test before departure, which must be taken within 48 hours before travel. This will come into effect from 04:00 on Tuesday 7th December.

We would like to reassure customers that their holiday is still due to operate as planned, and our destination teams are confirming testing availability for customers in resort. Customers in resort should contact their TUI representative for their nearest testing clinic.

For customers who are unable to travel as planned, please contact us on 0203 451 2688 to discuss your options, which includes changing your holiday fee-free. Our normal opening hours are Monday-Friday 9am – 7pm, Saturday 9am – 6pm or Saturday 10am – 5pm. Alternatively, if customers are in destination, please contact our 24/7 TUI Experience Centre on +44 3333 365 147.

We would like to thank our customers for their understanding at this time.

16 minutes ago, Lisa-UK said:

Hi

I am on the Canaries cruise on 14th December (or hopefully will be).  It looks like TUI are looking into this and their latest update is cut and paste below, from their travel alert page, (hope I am allowed to quote).  

The way I see it (and just my theory from having had testing at Southampton Port Aug/Sept this year) is we will be required to have controlled test at the airport.  Our PCR Southampton testing took minutes to complete by medical staff (not including queuing) and results texted within 30 minutes.

If Marella are able to facilitate that kind of testing, it could work.

I am more worried about the scenario of testing positive at the airport and having to quarantine overseas as I don't think my insurance will cover those costs but will be calling my insurer tomorrow to find out.

A bit of a worry.

TUI site guidance:

We’re aware all passengers entering the UK will now need to have a negative lateral flow or PCR test before departure, which must be taken within 48 hours before travel. This will come into effect from 04:00 on Tuesday 7th December.

We would like to reassure customers that their holiday is still due to operate as planned, and our destination teams are confirming testing availability for customers in resort. Customers in resort should contact their TUI representative for their nearest testing clinic.

For customers who are unable to travel as planned, please contact us on 0203 451 2688 to discuss your options, which includes changing your holiday fee-free. Our normal opening hours are Monday-Friday 9am – 7pm, Saturday 9am – 6pm or Saturday 10am – 5pm. Alternatively, if customers are in destination, please contact our 24/7 TUI Experience Centre on +44 3333 365 147.

We would like to thank our customers for their understanding at this time.

Unfortunately that information is for TUI land based holidays. Form my experience Marella can be very different.

5 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Unfortunately that information is for TUI land based holidays. Form my experience Marella can be very different.

Oh OK, I thought it covered the cruises too.

Hope they will update us all soon.

6 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Since mid october it has been a requiremet for passengers to be tested before disembarking the ship back in to spain, this was handled free of charge by the ship with no paperwork involved by the passenger, so nothing has really changed for cruise passengers ,all it would need is some proof of this test to show at the airport

41 minutes ago, okavango said:

Perhaps we should look on these new rules as a good thing rather than an hassle, it changes the anomaly of tested cruise passengers sharing planes with untested hotel passengers

I’m not saying the new measures are a hassle, far from it. All I’m saying is I need to know what to do so I can comply.

1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

I’m not saying the new measures are a hassle, far from it. All I’m saying is I need to know what to do so I can comply.

I was just meaning in general , not directed at anyone , i wouldnt worry too much at this stage about how to comply it will all be taken care of onboard , probably a bigger problem for hotel guests

• Like 1

2 hours ago, okavango said:

Perhaps we should look on these new rules as a good thing rather than an hassle, it changes the anomaly of tested cruise passengers sharing planes with untested hotel passengers

Agree, pity it's not done in both directions

Marella do have the ability to conduct mass lateral flow on board their cruises - they did it on my previous cruise with them in October in order to satisfy Spanish entry requirements at the time. (as also cited by @okavango)

*however* this mass testing, while satisfactory for the Spanish authorities, does not produce the individual certificates that UKGov demands - hence also why you cannot take an NHS test (despite them being identical to the ones that you have to buy - even down to the manufacturer) ... It's not enough to test negative, you have to provide a certificate - even if that is self-certified (which it is with Chronomics)

Without the certificate, the Airline is required to deny you boarding, at risk of fines of £10000 per passenger that they allow to board without the necessary documentation.

So the strong advice would be for you to amend your Chronomics orders (again!) to add Test-to-Return Lateral Flow tests (£18.99 each) so that you can take them away with you.

As per the press release quoted by @Lisa-UKTUI are reacting to the immediate impact by looking to arrange "in-resort" testing for those who do not have sufficient time to order and receive LFT from UK providers ahead of their trip departure. What is not stated in the press release is whether TUI will bear the cost of this (unlikely as it is not their fault).

I suspect that they will also find a similar solution for Cruise passengers due to depart this week, but probably not thereafter - it will be the passenger's responsibility.

Marella only update their Covid pages on a Mon-Fri so epect an update from them tomorrow.  

The link is https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/info/cruise-entry-requirements

(n.b. i would wait for this update before ordering new tests just in case Marella do decide that they can issue the necessary certification from the onboard LFTs that they undertake)

Edited by ferretktf

20 minutes ago, ferretktf said:

Marella do have the ability to conduct mass lateral flow on board their cruises - they did it on my previous cruise with them in October in order to satisfy Spanish entry requirements at the time. (as also cited by @okavango)

*however* this mass testing, while satisfactory for the Spanish authorities, does not produce the individual certificates that UKGov demands - hence also why you cannot take an NHS test (despite them being identical to the ones that you have to buy - even down to the manufacturer) ... It's not enough to test negative, you have to provide a certificate - even if that is self-certified (which it is with Chronomics)

Without the certificate, the Airline is required to deny you boarding, at risk of fines of £10000 per passenger that they allow to board without the necessary documentation.

So the strong advice would be for you to amend your Chronomics orders (again!) to add Test-to-Return Lateral Flow tests (£18.99 each) so that you can take them away with you.

As per the press release quoted by @Lisa-UKTUI are reacting to the immediate impact by looking to arrange "in-resort" testing for those who do not have sufficient time to order and receive LFT from UK providers ahead of their trip departure. What is not stated in the press release is whether TUI will bear the cost of this (unlikely as it is not their fault).

I suspect that they will also find a similar solution for Cruise passengers due to depart this week, but probably not thereafter - it will be the passenger's responsibility.

Marella only update their Covid pages on a Mon-Fri so epect an update from them tomorrow.  

The link is https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/info/cruise-entry-requirements

(n.b. i would wait for this update before ordering new tests just in case Marella do decide that they can issue the necessary certification from the onboard LFTs that they undertake)

All pretty much inline with my thinking. Midday tomorrow my (amended) order goes in.

Below is an email received at 23:36 on Sunday. That answers the question but interesting they don’t suggest Chronomics.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Dear <name>

You may already be aware that the UK Government has announced that mandatory COVID testing will be required for all passengers arriving into the UK after 0400 on Tuesday 07 December.

The test can be either rapid antigen or PCR, and must be taken no more than 48 hours before your return flight departure time.

We recommend you order your tests today or on Monday so they can be delivered to your home before you depart on your flight.  Our testing partner Klarity can deliver kits within 24 hours of your order.

To purchase a Klarity test after booking your holiday, follow the link to the Klarity website via Manage My Booking or your booking confirmation email.

Again, we apologise for the short notice of this change, which was only announced by the UK Government on Saturday 4 December.

Kind regards

Your TUI Service Team

Below is an email received at 23:36 on Sunday. That answers the question but interesting they don’t suggest Chronomics.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Dear <name>

You may already be aware that the UK Government has announced that mandatory COVID testing will be required for all passengers arriving into the UK after 0400 on Tuesday 07 December.

The test can be either rapid antigen or PCR, and must be taken no more than 48 hours before your return flight departure time.

We recommend you order your tests today or on Monday so they can be delivered to your home before you depart on your flight.  Our testing partner Klarity can deliver kits within 24 hours of your order.

To purchase a Klarity test after booking your holiday, follow the link to the Klarity website via Manage My Booking or your booking confirmation email.

Again, we apologise for the short notice of this change, which was only announced by the UK Government on Saturday 4 December.

Kind regards

Your TUI Service Team

I also received this email - I cannot get to the link (another issue I am having with my booking, but not for here).  I have checked the Klarity website but unsure of the cost of this test, can you advise if you have that info please?

Edited by Lisa-UK

I have a cruise booked for next September so thought I would just log into my account. Guess what? “ Sorry, we are having technical difficulties at the moment.” 
I do feel for cruisers going away very soon and trying to get the correct information.

I would guess from the 24 hours comments that Klarity offer faster customer service than Chronomics. (which would not be difficult tbh)

They also appear to be cheaper for basic self-certified LFT's  - £17.95 vs Chronomics £18.99   (n.b. their PCR tests are considerably more expensive £74.90 vs £35)

https://klarity.health/tui-uk/

klarity.JPG

6 minutes ago, ferretktf said:

I would guess from the 24 hours comments that Klarity offer faster customer service than Chronomics. (which would not be difficult tbh)

They also appear to be cheaper for basic self-certified LFT's  - £17.95 vs Chronomics £18.99   (n.b. their PCR tests are considerably more expensive £74.90 vs £35)

klarity.JPG

Interesting that the Klarity test has gone down since I looked first thing this morning. I have already purchased mine through Chromonics as I could add them to an existing order.

I think I should have everything now, test to get in cabin, test to leave cabin, test to enter MDR, test to leave MDR and of course full chemical warfare suit. I think that should cover dress to impress night anyway. 🤣🤣🤣

22 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

I think I should have everything now, test to get in cabin, test to leave cabin, test to enter MDR, test to leave MDR and of course full chemical warfare suit. I think that should cover dress to impress night anyway. 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks for that it cheered us both up on this damp Monday 👍

Hope all goes well for you. 

3 hours ago, ferretktf said:

klarity.JPG

Many thanks Ferretktf - really appreciate this link and info.  It has been quite difficult getting clarification from TUI about these tests - we go in 8 days, so need to order today.  What with all the Gov changes to protocols/tests and travel, it has been a stressful few days.  

thank you 

1 hour ago, Lisa-UK said:

Many thanks Ferretktf - really appreciate this link and info.  It has been quite difficult getting clarification from TUI about these tests - we go in 8 days, so need to order today.  What with all the Gov changes to protocols/tests and travel, it has been a stressful few days.  

thank you 

Not sure if you are on the same cruise a day later as we go on the 13th to Las Palmas. We have done 2 7 day cruises and 2 4 day cruises this year with P&O, Princess and Celebrity and this is by far the most stressful in terms of total lack of information and from Marella. I do have to admit this morning's email from TUI was a surprise but the other three cruise companies I have sailed with this year have supplied all tests required at no cost so I was a little surprised TUI / Marella couldn't / wouldn't supply the return to UK test as it has been mentioned they can administer  the tests onboard so what would it have taken to print or email a certificate even if they charge £5 for that?

I have just looked at the TUI email from this morning again and realised that it is regarding the flight so Marella cruise line have maintained silence regarding the changes to the required test through out. 

I feel this is my second and last time I cruise with Marella as they handle problems appallingly and they are not even cheap!  

Edited by MX-Drew

I have just looked at the TUI email from this morning again and realised that it is regarding the flight ....  

Yes - that would be correct.  

It is the responsibility of the airline bringing you into the UK to verify your LFT test certificate, so that is why it is approached from that angle.

Don't forget that TUI (currently*) own 100% of Marella, so slightly different from the other Cruise Lines in that the vast majority (if not all) communications come from TUI.

(*There are talks in the offing to have a 50% ownership with RCI through their existing "TUI Cruises" Joint Venture - currently leveraged on the German "Mein Schiff" vessels)

Edited by ferretktf

Not sure if you are on the same cruise a day later as we go on the 13th to Las Palmas. We have done 2 7 day cruises and 2 4 day cruises this year with P&O, Princess and Celebrity and this is by far the most stressful in terms of total lack of information and from Marella. I do have to admit this morning's email from TUI was a surprise but the other three cruise companies I have sailed with this year have supplied all tests required at no cost so I was a little surprised TUI / Marella couldn't / wouldn't supply the return to UK test as it has been mentioned they can administer  the tests onboard so what would it have taken to print or email a certificate even if they charge £5 for that?

I have just looked at the TUI email from this morning again and realised that it is regarding the flight so Marella cruise line have maintained silence regarding the changes to the required test through out. 

I feel this is my second and last time I cruise with Marella as they handle problems appallingly and they are not even cheap!  

It is the Marella Explorer and we fly in to Tenerife South and board same day (package with Marella/TUI).  I believe the same cruise that you are on, we pick it up on the 14th.

I agree and feel your pain.  This will be my first Marella cruise.  We are party of 9 and this is for my parents Golden Anniversary.  Group bookings can be problematic, but I have never known such confusion, terrible web-links and separate portals and difficulty in finding info or reaching a representative for advise. 

We booked via travel agent who are in the dark about the changes.  Marella TUI refuse to speak to us directly and keep deferring back to agent.  We have all just ordered Klarity tests to completed for the return flight/return to UK.  By the time we get home, we will be like lab rats!!! :-0

If it was just me an hubbie on this cruise, we would have been beaten and postponed by now, but I have to remain positive for sake of the group and my parents celebration.

I appreciate these tests need to be paid for by someone and like you have done 2 cruises this year where tests are included.  If Marella sent a coherent communication and explanation it would help - I wonder how may folks might turn up with no test or wrong test!

Just trying to remain positive and hope we actually get onboard!

1 hour ago, Lisa-UK said:

It is the Marella Explorer and we fly in to Tenerife South and board same day (package with Marella/TUI).  I believe the same cruise that you are on, we pick it up on the 14th.

I agree and feel your pain.  This will be my first Marella cruise.  We are party of 9 and this is for my parents Golden Anniversary.  Group bookings can be problematic, but I have never known such confusion, terrible web-links and separate portals and difficulty in finding info or reaching a representative for advise. 

We booked via travel agent who are in the dark about the changes.  Marella TUI refuse to speak to us directly and keep deferring back to agent.  We have all just ordered Klarity tests to completed for the return flight/return to UK.  By the time we get home, we will be like lab rats!!! :-0

If it was just me an hubbie on this cruise, we would have been beaten and postponed by now, but I have to remain positive for sake of the group and my parents celebration.

I appreciate these tests need to be paid for by someone and like you have done 2 cruises this year where tests are included.  If Marella sent a coherent communication and explanation it would help - I wonder how may folks might turn up with no test or wrong test!

Just trying to remain positive and hope we actually get onboard!

I'm sure that once onboard you and your party will have a great time. 

We too would have postponed but our holidays are fully booked for next year and further cruise credits to use so that will make 2024 fully booked.

Staying positive is the best approach but like you I wonder how many people will not have the correct tests etc.

• Thanks 1