What Does It Mean When the Price of a Cruise Goes Up?

jtwind

We're going to Tahiti in January (hopefully).  The price of the early January cruise just jumped up by quite a bit.  Is that normal for the price to do that as the time comes near?  I would have expected it to drop.  Does that price jump mean that the cruise is almost full?  I hope not.

After reading your comment. I looked and wow the prices did go up! Especially, considering they started a sale the other day. I think it’s a few things. As the ship fills price goes up. Also, I wonder if it’s late minute Christmas? How about Feb. 3 ? We’re on that one ! 

22 hours ago, jtwind said:

We're going to Tahiti in January (hopefully).  The price of the early January cruise just jumped up by quite a bit.  Is that normal for the price to do that as the time comes near?  I would have expected it to drop.  Does that price jump mean that the cruise is almost full?  I hope not.

Cruise pricing is a dynamic market.  It means that if the price you saw previously was acceptable, you should have booked it then.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

Cruise pricing is a dynamic market.  It means that if the price you saw previously was acceptable, you should have booked it then.

I agree so much with this. Many people book cruises a year (or more) in advance. In addition, right now people who had cruises cancelled in 2020 are trying to use their credits issued by the cruise lines. Add that to those who just want to finally get out of town, and you get many people competing for cabins. So, the price goes up.

• Thanks 1

When Tahiti had their big COVID wave in July/August, the huge price increases in August/September cruises were presages to that cruise being cancelled.  I observed this with about 3 to 5 cruises (Star Breeze and Wind Spirit)

Hopefully, that's no longer applicable, but with Omicron threatening to explode (and Tahiti beholden to French mandates), it might be an influence?

I saw the price of $1,799 on the 2/17/2022 7 Night Dream of Tahiti cruise and thought it was good. I just found out that there was a sale for $1,499 + $100 onboard credit.  Didn't see that sale.  :(  Does anyone know if the 2/17/2022 cruise was ever offered at $1,499 + $100 onboard credit?  

I can't take advantage of any price drop at this point since it's less than 90 days so I want to weigh out my options.

2 hours ago, izmeeh said:

I saw the price of $1,799 on the 2/17/2022 7 Night Dream of Tahiti cruise and thought it was good. I just found out that there was a sale for $1,499 + $100 onboard credit.  Didn't see that sale.  😞Does anyone know if the 2/17/2022 cruise was ever offered at $1,499 + $100 onboard credit?  

I can't take advantage of any price drop at this point since it's less than 90 days so I want to weigh out my options.

As I mentioned on the other forum, that was for the "bucket list sale" a month ago around, like a Thanksgiving Black Friday sale. It was for a few sailings, late December, early January only- rainiest of the rainy season. Not every year but definitely since COVID, those 2-3 weeks are offered for around that price. And no 2/27 was never offered at $1499. The 7 day at $1799 is still a very good deal especially if you take it on the March W. Spirit sailings.

• Thanks 1