BBC Breakfast news this morning cruise ship offloading.

southamptonlas

Hi after reading rather than posting on this site, I was watching BBC Interview with Dan walker this morning regarding a cruise ship in the Caribbean with some UK passengers my understanding are close contacts who refused offloading at ST Kitts and were kept onboard. Does that mean the decision to offload lies with the captain rather than port Authorities.  

That ship would be Queen Victoria which changed course close to St Kitts and is now heading for Barbados. QM2 is also heading for Barbados. The other 'british'  ship I can find is Marella Discovery and that is off St Lucia heading north to the British Virgin Islands.

Maybe the captain/company had no choice but to avoid an incident by missing out St Kitts ?

The Omicron variant is IMO a game changer for any cruising at present. Who would want to risk being quarantined in far flung parts of the world. Or not so far flung if the reports of passengers offloaded from P&O Iona in Tenerife are anything to go by.

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 3

The cruise ship in question is Queen Mary 2. There is a thread on the Cunard section which gives some information.

Queen Victoria was deployed to the Caribbean to act as a support ship for Cunard and P&O - QV is not cruising with paying passengers.

QM2 was due to call at Tortola yesterday, but wasn’t allowed in. I saw QM2 and QV together on Cruise Mapper and a little later someone on QM2 reported that they saw approx 30 people being taken over to QV from QM2.  The person posting this asked if anyone knew what was going on. So it would appear that people actually on QM2 aren’t being told much at all if they are appealing to external sources for information!

QM2 was due to call at St Kitts today, but this port has also been cancelled, so they now seem to be going straight to Barbados, where they were originally due on Tuesday.  Wednesday’s call at Dominica was cancelled before the cruise even sailed, and I think Thursday’s scheduled call at St Maarten is now highly unlikely.

After this Caribbean section, QM2 is due to go back to New York, due in on 3rd January 

Just wanted to add - my above comment referred to QM2, but reading what other people are saying elsewhere, the BBC report could refer to any one of a number of ships. 

Unfortunately, due to the high prevalence of Covid, it’s now finding its way on to many ships