Travel Insurance for Upcoming Cruise

taylortime05

I had trip insurance for an inexpensive cruise on Royal Symphony that was only 1K and we paid $76 for a policy.  We cancelled that cruise and we were able to move this policy to a Jan 15 Apex cruise that is 4K.  The insurance will increase to an extra $160 so $236 total. Do you think $236 is reasonable for coverage listed below?

We're retired now and will be cruising & traveling more frequently.  I'm thinking about looking into annual policies.  Who do you recommend?   

Thank you for your feedback.

image.thumb.png.f3cd6558a9bb54b60db2bde83d012207.png

13 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

I had trip insurance for an inexpensive cruise on Royal Symphony that was only 1K and we paid $76 for a policy.  We cancelled that cruise and we were able to move this policy to a Jan 15 Apex cruise that is 4K.  The insurance will increase to an extra $160 so $236 total. Do you think $236 is reasonable for coverage listed below?

We're retired now and will be cruising & traveling more frequently.  I'm thinking about looking into annual policies.  Who do you recommend?   

Thank you for your feedback.

image.thumb.png.f3cd6558a9bb54b60db2bde83d012207.png

Hi taylortime05,

In order to give you the right answer, may I get your ages and your per person prepaid non-refundable trip cost (not an average) if the trip cost is not split equally between the two of you?

Steve Dasseos

38 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

Do you think $236 is reasonable for coverage listed below?

Probably, but it depends on your ages.  Third party trip insurance premiums are highly dependent on the non-refundable trip cost and your age.

I just saw Steve's posting while I was writing this.  If you want a quick answer on cost ranges for good policies, plug a few pieces of information onto his tripinsurancestore.com website. It sounds like you are already locked into the above policy for your upcoming trip, but if you are looking for future trips, call Steve or one of his people.  They will ask lots of questions to make sure you are buying what you need for your specific circumstances.

22 minutes ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Probably none, if you are looking for significant Trip Cancelation coverage.  Most of the annual trip insurance plans have fairly low cancelation benefits per year.  I believe Allianz has one plan that covers up to $15K per year, but the medical is only $50K. I am not currently aware of any others that cover more than $10K in cancelation.  Plus many of the plans have less medical coverage than the one I just mentioned.

I would recommend that you have good coverage for medical.  Your existing medical policies may cover you, but many do not or have lots of limitations. We have an annual GeoBlue Trekker plan which covers us for foreign travel.  A Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card then covers up to $40K in trip cancelation costs and offers other insurance benefits.  There are limitations with pre existing conditions, so it may not work for everyone.  The card costs about $700 per year, but there are lots of benefits including a $300 travel credit, so for many people the total cost is reasonable.

Also, many people just self insure cancelation/trip interruption and over time they save money. Just beware doing this with medical and evacuation.

Edited by Jersey42

25 minutes ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi taylortime05,

In order to give you the right answer, may I get your ages and your per person prepaid non-refundable trip cost (not an average) if the trip cost is not split equally between the two of you?

Steve Dasseos

Hi,

We are 58 and 63.  The cruise cost per person is $1970.49 and this includes taxes and fees.  The one night hotel & flights were paid with points.  The cruise is paid in full and is Jan 15 2022.

Thanks

38 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

Hi,

We are 58 and 63.  The cruise cost per person is $1970.49 and this includes taxes and fees.  The one night hotel & flights were paid with points.  The cruise is paid in full and is Jan 15 2022.

Thanks

Hi taylortime05,

$236 is a good price. You can always find something cheaper, but you will be giving up coverages you might not want to.

Steve Dasseos

1 hour ago, taylortime05 said:

Hi taylortime05,

I haven't found any good annual trip cancellation plans with much coverage for the new risks with Covid like being quarantined.

Steve Dasseos

4 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

Probably, but it depends on your ages.  Third party trip insurance premiums are highly dependent on the non-refundable trip cost and your age.

I just saw Steve's posting while I was writing this.  If you want a quick answer on cost ranges for good policies, plug a few pieces of information onto his tripinsurancestore.com website. It sounds like you are already locked into the above policy for your upcoming trip, but if you are looking for future trips, call Steve or one of his people.  They will ask lots of questions to make sure you are buying what you need for your specific circumstances.

Probably none, if you are looking for significant Trip Cancelation coverage.  Most of the annual trip insurance plans have fairly low cancelation benefits per year.  I believe Allianz has one plan that covers up to $15K per year, but the medical is only $50K. I am not currently aware of any others that cover more than $10K in cancelation.  Plus many of the plans have less medical coverage than the one I just mentioned.

I would recommend that you have good coverage for medical.  Your existing medical policies may cover you, but many do not or have lots of limitations. We have an annual GeoBlue Trekker plan which covers us for foreign travel.  A Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card then covers up to $40K in trip cancelation costs and offers other insurance benefits.  There are limitations with pre existing conditions, so it may not work for everyone.  The card costs about $700 per year, but there are lots of benefits including a $300 travel credit, so for many people the total cost is reasonable.

Also, many people just self insure cancelation/trip interruption and over time they save money. Just beware doing this with medical and evacuation.

Thank you for all the great info!  I'm so excited to get back to cruising.