Royal Princess Alaska Cabin Location Recommendations

Slowingdog

Hello,

I've read a bunch of posts but can't seem to find a clear answer. We are about to book the Royal for an Northbound (Vancouver-Wittier) Alaska cruise this summer. We are a multi generational family in need of 5 balcony cabins, preferably with some connecting cabins. Because of this and the late booking we are limited in what cabins are available. 

I see some people say it does not matter which side of this ship you are on as the Captain will spin the ship when in Glacier Bay so everyone gets a view, but what about the rest of the time when you are cruising between ports? Is there an advantage to being on the land side of the ship? For example, heading north to be on the starboard side? What about high deck verse low? Normally we chose high for Caribbean cruises but is it better to be low for Alaska to better see marine life?

So basically:

Which side of the ship?

Better to be high or low?

Thank you!

Starboard probably better for northbound. 

We prefer mid decks with cabins above and below. Check out the deck plans on Princess.com.  Select the connecting cabin box to find cabins that connect inside. Almost all adjacent balcony cabins can connect on the balcony. Balconies are small, 9ftx4ft. Better views of Glacier Bay and other scenic spots are from the upper open decks.

As far as which side of the ship...I don't think it really makes much difference.  For some strange reason, I tend to ALWAYS book on the port side.  I've never really given it much thought...probably due to the way deck plans are usually presented with the bow of the ship at the top of the page and scanning "left to right".  Call me weird! 😄

On our first Alaska sailing, we stayed in our cabin and just admired the view from the balcony.  (Not that it matters...but this one was on the Celebrity Solstice.)  Second sailing was on the Majestic.  I did venture out to an upper deck after watching from the balcony for a while...but I feel that this was time wasted just getting to a nice viewpoint on deck...time better spent staying put on the balcony!

As mentioned...they will "spin" the ship so that all get a good view.  You won't be disappointed.