Cartegena Columbia port concerns with COVID testing?

crystlvylt1

Anyone have any specifics on what Columbia is requiring now for docking in Cartegena in regards to COVID?  On a Panama Canal cruise in 2 weeks fingers crossed.  Hearing rumblings of testing required to come ashore so highly likely NCL will just cancel the port stop. 

1 hour ago, crystlvylt1 said:

Anyone have any specifics on what Columbia is requiring now for docking in Cartegena in regards to COVID?  On a Panama Canal cruise in 2 weeks fingers crossed.  Hearing rumblings of testing required to come ashore so highly likely NCL will just cancel the port stop. 

If it's a full transit PC cruise, the stop to a distant foreign port (in this case, Cartagena, Colombia) is required.  If it's a R/T closed loop, it's not.  Everything can change in two weeks though.  If you do go, recommend the old town area in Cartagena, Colombia, and also St. Peter's (San Pedro) church.  Amazing place. 

• Like 1

I don't know your itinerary times, but will you have a "negative PCR test no more than 72 hours" before Cartagena?

I know the RCI Jewel of the Seas was turned away from there recently - there are some different rumors as to why, but this onboard tweet matches the US Embassy info "Captain announced #cruise ship not be allowed to port in Cartagena; port authorities require PCR test for guests 72 hours before docking. Going to next port Aruba".

US Embassy info:

• As of December 28, 2021, all international travelers aged 18 years and over, regardless of whether they have Colombian nationality, who intend to enter Colombia from a cruise ship, must present the result of the PCR test with a negative result, issued in advance no more than 72 hours before boarding.

https://co.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Have a wonderful cruise and hope you make it to all ports! 😁

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

I don't know your itinerary times, but will you have a "negative PCR test no more than 72 hours" before Cartagena?

I know the RCI Jewel of the Seas was turned away from there recently - there are some different rumors as to why, but this onboard tweet matches the US Embassy info "Captain announced #cruise ship not be allowed to port in Cartagena; port authorities require PCR test for guests 72 hours before docking. Going to next port Aruba".

US Embassy info:

• As of December 28, 2021, all international travelers aged 18 years and over, regardless of whether they have Colombian nationality, who intend to enter Colombia from a cruise ship, must present the result of the PCR test with a negative result, issued in advance no more than 72 hours before boarding.

https://co.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Have a wonderful cruise and hope you make it to all ports! 😁

Thank you for this.  It’s the last port of the cruise, day 12 of 14, so we would have to test on board and I’m sure that is not going to happen.

• Like 1

Folks currently doing a full transit of the Panama Canal aboard the Holland America Zuiderdam are reporting that it's just been announced that they will not be stopping at Cartagena because of the testing requirements.  HAL is substituting Puerto Limón instead.

OP: I hope you do make it to Cartagena; we enjoyed our two visits there.

When I got the Smart Travelers Enrollment Program (STEP) alert for Columbia last week, it stated that PCR testing is required 72 hours ahead of calling to port for travelers arriving by sea.

I called NCL and asked how they would handle this. I was told the Bliss has in place PCR testing, should it be required. But details could change, and it was suggested that I ask once onboard. Likely a general announcement will be made prior to arrival in port.

I have an excursion planned in Cartagena, so we'll see. If I can't go, I'll be refunded, in any case I may stay aboard. No real loos for me, I only booked this cruise for the Panama Canal transit anyway.