Curious about quarantine protocol on Oceania ships. Anyone with firsthand knowledge?

gafnewyork

On 7/5/2022 at 10:10 AM, Cruzin Terri said:

We were on the Nautica from April 11 to May 5.  On April 20 both my husband and I tested positive for Covid and were quarantined for six (6) days on the ship.  We were permitted to remain in our own cabin.

We received care from the medical staff daily free of charge.  Our butler would deliver meals from any restaurant we chose.  He would knock and he would leave a trolley at our door.  When we were done, we would call, the trolley came and we would put the tray out and he would collect it.

We were called each day by the General Manager and housekeeping to ask if we needed anything.  If so, it would appear at our door.  I have no complaints in the way we were treated.  The only disappointment was that we contracted Covid and were confined to our cabin.

After we returned home, my TA and I both contacted Oceania and claimed a REFUND for the days in quarantine.  We had to produce our negative pre-boarding tests.  Within one week we were credited the full amount of the fare for each day we were in quarantine.

I thought that was very generous of Oceania considering that we had a place to sleep, we were fed three meals a day and received free medical care.

I hope this helps.

Terri

This is encouraging, what kind of room were you in?

The earlier post is correct. Oceania is great about it if you are onboard and test positive (assuming you had a negative test before). As long as the distress you feel does not warrant an onshore facility, you stay in your cabin and are brought your meals. Good new is that the TV system now is like on a good airline. Movies are all online, you can keep entertained. I certainly would ask to be upgraded from normal free WIFI to the one that allows you to stream Youtube, Netflix etc. In any case it isn't expensive to upgrade. I've heard that is you are in a small inside cabin you may get upgraded in the ship has plenty of capacity. We were on the Siren recently for 28 days and had a couple of friends who landed up in their rooms. If you are in a PH your butler can get you dover sole and miso glazed sea bass every night!

You should have medical insurance, maybe an umbrella policy for airfare etc. 

Before we sailed our pharmacist gave us a dozen test kits - apparently the government over ordered so being over 65 we were given a bunch. Took several extras along and at the end gave to our cabin attendants who were grateful. Guess they too like to avoid the medical center if not necessary. 

We are currently on the Marina. The Covid policy as we know it (first hand, tested positive) is if you test positive on your PCR test you are quarantined in your stateroom for 6 days. Then you must have 2 consecutive negative antigen test performed by the medical personnel to be released from your room. If the antigen test continues to come up positive, medical will continue to test you every day until you are 10 days since you originally tested positive. After that 10th day, they will release you from your room regardless of your test result. If your spouse or traveling companion, tests negative they would be isolated to the stateroom for 5 days plus 2 consecutive negative antigen tests go be released as well. My husband tested positive, 3 days after me so that delays the process of us getting to return to “normal life”. 

In reality, you can end up in your stateroom for what will seem like an eternity. We are on a 22 day and have only seen the outside of our cabin 6 days.  This is definitely the vacation I want to erase from my memory back. The ship will not communicate with you as to if others on the ship are positive or not. I believe Oceania should clearly state these procedures on their website, so everyone can make an informed decision prior to booking as to potentially how long they can be held quarantined. 

Assuming you can leave your room, you can pretty much determine the number of COVID cases by counting the tray/carts across the cabin doors. We had 3 on our PH floor, then one by one they disappeared. Saw another down one floor.

2 hours ago, ChadnKate said:

Assuming you can leave your room, you can pretty much determine the number of COVID cases by counting the tray/carts across the cabin doors. We had 3 on our PH floor, then one by one they disappeared. Saw another down one floor.

It depends on the ship.  There was never a tray or cart outside our door.  We were in a PH on the Nautica.  The only time there was a cart or trolley was when we ordered meals.  Then the cart would leave and come back when we called to have the dishes removed. Otherwise, the outside of our room looked like any other room.

Terri

7 hours ago, SpecialKTravel said:

We are currently on the Marina. The Covid policy as we know it (first hand, tested positive) is if you test positive on your PCR test you are quarantined in your stateroom for 6 days. Then you must have 2 consecutive negative antigen test performed by the medical personnel to be released from your room. If the antigen test continues to come up positive, medical will continue to test you every day until you are 10 days since you originally tested positive. After that 10th day, they will release you from your room regardless of your test result. If your spouse or traveling companion, tests negative they would be isolated to the stateroom for 5 days plus 2 consecutive negative antigen tests go be released as well. My husband tested positive, 3 days after me so that delays the process of us getting to return to “normal life”. 

In reality, you can end up in your stateroom for what will seem like an eternity. We are on a 22 day and have only seen the outside of our cabin 6 days.  This is definitely the vacation I want to erase from my memory back. The ship will not communicate with you as to if others on the ship are positive or not. I believe Oceania should clearly state these procedures on their website, so everyone can make an informed decision prior to booking as to potentially how long they can be held quarantined. 

How often Oceania test passengers for Covid?  How do they know if people get Covid on broad if they did not show any symptoms?  

1 hour ago, travelbug2225 said:

How often Oceania test passengers for Covid?  How do they know if people get Covid on broad if they did not show any symptoms?  

They do not test unless you report that you have symptoms.  

The other reason for testing would be if a certain port of call requires testing.  

I am not sure if they are still testing on back 2 back cruises.  It may depend where the turnaround port is.

They will no longer test passengers returning to the US by plane since this is no longer a requirement..

if someone does not show symptoms and is not aware they have Covid, Oceania would not know of that person unless testing was required because of a requirement in a port of call or a back2back.

That is what happened on the Nautica and I think is how I picked up the virus.  At the end of the first cruise there were quite a few people who were leaving the ship and flying back to the US who tested positive.  They were either not aware they were positive or declined to report symptoms.  They then had to quarantine in a hotel in Lisbon rather than fly home.  

At this point if they were flying to the US, they would not be required to be tested and they would just walk around the ship infecting others.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

On 7/5/2022 at 10:10 AM, Cruzin Terri said:

After we returned home, my TA and I both contacted Oceania and claimed a REFUND for the days in quarantine.  We had to produce our negative pre-boarding tests.  Within one week we were credited the full amount of the fare for each day we were in quarantine.

I am surprised at the credit for the lost days, but hope it holds true for others.  Is it FCC or an actual refund?

2 hours ago, Debbers said:

I am surprised at the credit for the lost days, but hope it holds true for others.  Is it FCC or an actual refund?

I received a refund. Not sure if that is still in effect.  Read the FAQs.  Under “Onboard” and then “Health Considerations”. First question answers your questions.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri