aft 14, any noise from above?

luckyinpa

seems like virgin is the only forum that has no cancelations nor horror quarantine stories so i was thinking about in the next month booking an aft suite. looks like deck above on 15 and i worry about chairs scraping and other public sounds. any experiences?

also since i literally only started researching today i wanted to confirm you cannot pick your own cabin or is there just only that one left for the cruise i'm looking at? im starting to read reviews and gather that as long as i dont want booze, everything is included which is great. i see masks required thru the end of january. hope that goes away in feb. 

ive never flown to a cruise and i know you are supposed to do the day before to fly in but since they leave at 7pm is that really necessary. right now my airline has 4 flights before 10 am and a few after that. so i think barring weather id be ok?

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

seems like virgin is the only forum that has no cancelations nor horror quarantine stories so i was thinking about in the next month booking an aft suite. looks like deck above on 15 and i worry about chairs scraping and other public sounds. any experiences?

also since i literally only started researching today i wanted to confirm you cannot pick your own cabin or is there just only that one left for the cruise i'm looking at? im starting to read reviews and gather that as long as i dont want booze, everything is included which is great. i see masks required thru the end of january. hope that goes away in feb. 

ive never flown to a cruise and i know you are supposed to do the day before to fly in but since they leave at 7pm is that really necessary. right now my airline has 4 flights before 10 am and a few after that. so i think barring weather id be ok?

We were in cabin 14011Z over New Year's. It is under the outdoor seating area for the Galley. We heard chairs scraping sometimes. A little annoying, but not too aggravating.

Flying during the holidays was a nightmare due to employee absences and Covid. I don't know if it has gotten better. We always go in the day before. Heading to Miami, we had a flight cancelled and they tried to put us on the next day getting in about 6 pm. Luckily we scrambled and rebooked for the original day. Heading home we were stuck in Charlotte for 16 hours for another cancelled flight. Personally I wouldn't risk flying in the same day.

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

The Galley is the only thing that would be above you - chair scraping is probably audible during the day, but it's by no means a late night party place.

It's possible that there are other suites available.  The system automatically assigns whatever it thinks is the best available cabin in your selected category.  If you call them, you should be able to pick a specific room.

WRT flights, I think it's all about your risk tolerance.  You're probably fine to book the earliest and be able to get on one of the others as a backup.  I seem to have the world's worst luck with IRROPS (back when work travel was a thing, my coworkers went as far as always asking what flights I booked so they could book other flights).  If I really really really need to be somewhere, I'll fly in even a couple days before, but that's only because I'm scarred by all the cancels/mega delays I seem to have.

Here is a tip - when you get to the booking page where it assigns you a cabin, refresh and it will give you a different cabin.  Each refresh cycles through what is available in that category and it will eventually cycle back around.  Also, if you call directly or work with a TA they can pick your cabin for you as well (but the refresh trick works just fine as well)

We were on 14, but Fwd not Aft....about just under the spa.  It was quiet and we never noticed any issues.  You are correct that it is all inclusive and the food is fantastic.  Alcohol, espresso beverages at the coffee bar, and spa access are all charged separately so you would plan a budget for those if you want them. The shows are free and most activities are free. A few include alcohol or other supplies and those have a small fee.

As for when the cruise leaves, your boarding time will be in the early afternoon, between 2 and 4 - long before the departure time. They need time to get everyone on board and have you report to your muster stations to check in that you watched the safety briefing before they head out.  I echo what others said and fly the day before, that way if it is canceled you get other flights to bump onto that will still get you there.  

Hope you have a wonderful time! We loved our cruise and are looking forward to the next one.

Edited by ociana