Mediterranean cruise travel insurance

pooh/tigger

We are about to book a med cruise for our 50th

Celebrity is offering their travel insurance for $398. Is their travel insurance any good for a med cruise or should we go to a travel insurance website and purchase there? 

Recommended websites?

Thank you

I did some comparison shopping utilizing a travel insurance company where I could insure my trip when we sailed in the Mediterranean. The insurance policy that I selected had better coverage, more tailored to my specific needs, and at a much lower cost than the one offered through the cruise line. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Tapi said:

I did some comparison shopping utilizing a travel insurance company where I could insure my trip when we sailed in the Mediterranean. The insurance policy that I selected had better coverage, more tailored to my specific needs, and at a much lower cost than the one offered through the cruise line. 

Better and less costly to buy when deposit is made or it doesn’t matter when we buy it? Thanks again. 

15 minutes ago, pooh/tigger said:

Better and less costly to buy when deposit is made or it doesn’t matter when we buy it? Thanks again. 

Doesn’t matter when you purchase it. Same price. However, keep in mind that, in order to include a “cancel for any reason” clause (if you choose to have it), many companies require that you purchase your insurance policy at the time of booking (or within a few days grace period after booking). 

Another thing to keep in mind is pre-existing conditions. Some companies will define their pre-existing condition requirement differently based on when you buy your policy. 

The good news is that these travel insurance websites allow you to compare policies side by side in a fairly easy to read format, which makes it very easy to determine, not only what the policy premiums are, but what each one covers and at what levels. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Thanks 1

You have lots of options to think about based on age and what is most important for you to cover.  Some policies do a fair job with Covid and are usually comprehensive.  Cancel for any reason can be quite expensive, covering only 75% of the cruise cost, but like others have mentioned, must be booked early after deposit.   Insuremytrip is good for comparisons.  Also, you can just insure your deposit first, adding to it later, but again, it depends on what benefits you need.  I just insure my deposit first.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Thanks 1