Formal Night Dress?

pianogal83

Good afternoon,

After taking a hiatus from cruising due to caretaking for several years, my husband and I are excited to have 3 cruises book for this year.  I will soon be packing for the first one and wanted some input on what is currently acceptable for the Dining Room on Formal Nights.  We are definitely Dining Room people but since retirement have found ourselves much more relaxed! In the past I would go all out with outfits, jewelry, shoes, etc.  I'm mostly over that. I am thinking black evening slacks and a couple of dressy tops for me but what about hubby?  Does he need a suit as he has formerly worn?  Does he even need a shirt and tie? He wants to do wear a dress shirt and slacks but leave off the tie.  Is a tie required?  It seems I noticed the dress in the dining room was getting much more relaxed even several years ago.  Thank you in advance! 

• Like 1

The black dress pants with a dressy top for yourself would be very well accepted (& comfy).  Your Hubby doesn’t need to bring his suit for elegant dinners in the MDR, a dress shirt with pants would be good for him too.

My Hubby usually brings a sport jacket & tie, but he is usually in the small, over dressed group of men…mainly because he has quite a few as his previous job required it & we have no other occasion to dress up. This time I’m going to suggest leaving the jacket at home, but he will prob still wear the tie.

I have many dresses, from my former job (day time/office stuff) that I usually bring for dinners, also because they don’t get worn otherwise.

Every cruise we notice that dinner attire is more casual….yet, still being “dinner” attire.

• Like 3

Leave the suit, tie and anything from the days of formal cruising from years past if you'd like. I wear khakis and a Tommy Bahama (or like) shirt to dinner and my wife wears a casual dress. Both are within the suggested dress.
 For the other nights it's shorts, a polo and sandals or tennis shoes. Also within the guidelines. Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

We rarely get chances to "dress it up" so we usually wear something like a cocktail dress for me and a suit for DH.  This last cruise was 4 days long so no elegant night but we still kept it like we were going out to a nice restaurant in Charlotte (no suit for DH, dressy pants or dress for me) which having said that, I've seen jeans and t shirts (especially on guys) at Charlotte restaurants.  I think DH and I are last of a dying breed!😎 Here's a pic from a photo booth at a wedding we recently attended.  I don't think security will allow the horned hat onboard🤣

dressup.jpg

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 2

Carnival dropped 'formal' years ago. As long as you're not wearing your bathing suit and raggedy shorts, you'll be fine. I normally wear a polo shirt with jeans, and tennis shoes on the elegant nights. Shorts with sandals and a t-shirt on all other nights.  

45 minutes ago, lasekeye said:

The black dress pants with a dressy top for yourself would be very well accepted (& comfy).  Your Hubby doesn’t need to bring his suit for elegant dinners in the MDR, a dress shirt with pants would be good for him too.

My Hubby usually brings a sport jacket & tie, but he is usually in the small, over dressed group of men…mainly because he has quite a few as his previous job required it & we have no other occasion to dress up. This time I’m going to suggest leaving the jacket at home, but he will prob still wear the tie.

I have many dresses, from my former job (day time/office stuff) that I usually bring for dinners, also because they don’t get worn otherwise.

Every cruise we notice that dinner attire is more casual….yet, still being “dinner” attire.

Thank you so much! DH also has a lot of suits/sport coats/ties from his job. Since retirement he has only worn t shirts/shorts or sweatshirts/jeans.  The last time he had to wear a suit he said he felt like he was in a straightjacket. 🙂 Like you, I prefer to put forth some extra effort on 'formal' night and have lots of option from my working days. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BallFour4 said:

Leave the suit, tie and anything from the days of formal cruising from years past if you'd like. I wear khakis and a Tommy Bahama (or like) shirt to dinner and my wife wears a casual dress. Both are within the suggested dress.
 For the other nights it's shorts, a polo and sandals or tennis shoes. Also within the guidelines. Enjoy your trip!

Thank you!  You are making my husband very happy! Seriously, it's very nice to know we have options. 🙂

37 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

We rarely get chances to "dress it up" so we usually wear something like a cocktail dress for me and a suit for DH.  This last cruise was 4 days long so no elegant night but we still kept it like we were going out to a nice restaurant in Charlotte (no suit for DH, dressy pants or dress for me) which having said that, I've seen jeans and t shirts (especially on guys) at Charlotte restaurants.  I think DH and I are last of a dying breed!😎 Here's a pic from a photo booth at a wedding we recently attended.  I don't think security will allow the horned hat onboard🤣

dressup.jpg

I love your pic! We used to do the same because it was fun (for me!) 🙂  Retirement has made me into a much more relaxed and casual person, I think. We had jobs for years that required us to dress all the time so we were used to it then. Now, it's nice to be able to leave the house without makeup, hair in a ponytail or bun and jeans.  LOL  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

Carnival dropped 'formal' years ago. As long as you're not wearing your bathing suit and raggedy shorts, you'll be fine. I normally wear a polo shirt with jeans, and tennis shoes on the elegant nights. Shorts with sandals and a t-shirt on all other nights.  

I love it! My husband had compromised with me on a dress shirt with jeans. I thought we were living on the wild side by leaving off the coat and just wearing dress shirt/tie/slacks for formal night. LOL

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, pianogal83 said:

I love it! My husband had compromised with me on a dress shirt with jeans. I thought we were living on the wild side by leaving off the coat and just wearing dress shirt/tie/slacks for formal night. LOL

It's always fun to 'live on the wild side'. 😉

I don't even own a tie or jacket. I have absolutely no reason to own either. 

• Like 1