Mardi Gras Eastern Itinerary Changes Again

Guest BasicSailor
16 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

It's a mistake to only cruise for ports.  If ports were the top priority, then cruise the southern route.  If you don't feel like going on the jewel of the Carnival line because of a changed port, then cancel.  The Mardi Gras is a game changer for the line.  I know from first hand experience being on her for 14 days from February 5-19.  

I don't agree with this. I can't recommend not cruising for the ports. Each person has an idea of what they would enjoy on their vacation.

Guest BasicSailor
On 2/19/2022 at 8:45 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

It's just the way of the world now. We leave on the Reflection next Saturday.

Originally:

Key West

Cozumel

Grand Cayman

Jamaica 

Revised (more than once) to:

Bimini -- looks VERY uninteresting!

Nassau  -- perhaps I should make lemonade out of this as one of you suggested, I do need a Baha Mar chip!

Cozumel - Pancho's, here we come!

Costa Maya

BTW, I prefer the original itinerary!!

Tom

I was very disappointed with Bimini, twice now with the last visit being we stayed on the ship. Hopefully you guys will enjoy it. It's a beach day for sure.

2 hours ago, BasicSailor said:

I don't agree with this. I can't recommend not cruising for the ports. Each person has an idea of what they would enjoy on their vacation.

I said that it was a mistake to only cruise for the ports, implying that the ship should be somewhat important since you're on the ship for 75-80% of your vacation.  A few good port stops should not supercede cruising on an older ship unless it's a bucket list cruise.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 6:11 PM, noleguy84 said:

This sounds like the most logical reason given. Sounds like we drew the short straw. My daughters were looking forward to San Juan for the first time but I guess we’ll just have to find a nice resort in Nassau or make it another sea day.

Nassau is always a 'ship day' for us. It's the least inspiring island of any Caribbean cruise so that's always the perfect stop to stay onboard and take advantage of a quieter ship. Especially one with as many bells and whistles as Mardi Gras. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, creativegenius said:

Nassau is always a 'ship day' for us. It's the least inspiring island of any Caribbean cruise so that's always the perfect stop to stay onboard and take advantage of a quieter ship. Especially one with as many bells and whistles as Mardi Gras. 

Have to put Nassau at second place from the bottom.  Freeport has a stranglehold on last place.  The new Margaritaville Resort at Nassau does offer day passes and could be promising from a YouTube video I saw.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, creativegenius said:

Nassau is probably the one port where we don't always say "ooh, let's book a fun excursion or just tour the town!".  But...that being said, we've been there three times since 2017 and always found something to do.  Maybe next time we stay on board, or maybe next time we go wandering and find other neat little shops to check out, and/or maybe at least the straw markets will be open again.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 12:43 AM, SNJCruisers said:

It's a mistake to only cruise for ports.  If ports were the top priority, then cruise the southern route.  If you don't feel like going on the jewel of the Carnival line because of a changed port, then cancel.  The Mardi Gras is a game changer for the line.  I know from first hand experience being on her for 14 days from February 5-19.  

To each their own. The ship and amenities are part of the experience but for us the ports and excursions are a larger part of the experience. The importance of finding itineraries with new places or new experiences is important so losing SJ, a place we have not been, and going to Nassau is a big deal. If we lived close to a cruise port and could cruise more frequently I think it would become more about the ships and less the destinations.