Birthday Lunch in Rome or surrounds

Dexysgirl

Hi everyone,

I would love to get some recommendations or ideas on what to do for our daughter's 22nd birthday in Rome on the day we disembark Odyssey Sunday Aug 21 2022 in Civitavecchia. 

Our flight departs from Ciampino at 21.00hrs. We are a family of 4 (DS 19)

I am thinking that my options are, booking a private tour which will bring us somewhere nice for lunch and then onto the airport or doing it ourselves and taking the train into Rome . The problem is we will have our bags  but we are travelling light with just a small 10kg carry-on case each. Has anyone experience of a private company who might do a bespoke tour . We have seen Rome and would prefer to go somewhere outside the city if we chose this option. 

If we catch the train, can anyone particularly recommend a restaurant that is special, with views of Rome, where we can while away the afternoon over an amazing lunch , have a few nice bottles of the local vino, then grab a cab to Campino around 18.30pm. 

Any suggestions are gratefully received. Many thanks in advance. 

8 minutes ago, Dexysgirl said:

Hi everyone,

I would love to get some recommendations or ideas on what to do for our daughter's 22nd birthday in Rome on the day we disembark Odyssey Sunday Aug 21 2022 in Civitavecchia. 

Our flight departs from Ciampino at 21.00hrs. We are a family of 4 (DS 19)

I am thinking that my options are, booking a private tour which will bring us somewhere nice for lunch and then onto the airport or doing it ourselves and taking the train into Rome . The problem is we will have our bags  but we are travelling light with just a small 10kg carry-on case each. Has anyone experience of a private company who might do a bespoke tour . We have seen Rome and would prefer to go somewhere outside the city if we chose this option. 

If we catch the train, can anyone particularly recommend a restaurant that is special, with views of Rome, where we can while away the afternoon over an amazing lunch , have a few nice bottles of the local vino, then grab a cab to Campino around 18.30pm. 

Any suggestions are gratefully received. Many thanks in advance. 

There is only one person (our cruise mother) who will have the greatest experiences to offer the best possible advice.

For one’s part, have only experienced one destination, but it was a joy to all one.’s senses.  A great menu, a royal ambiance, with excellent service, plus an outstanding vista from the terrace.

https://www.robertonaldicollection.com/ristorante-mirabelle/it/?_gfc_cli=16453652103131197&_gl=1*1hxugmw*_ga*MTI0MDY1NjQwNy4xNjQ1MzY1MjIw*_ga_EZL8Y0B8BL*MTY0NTM2NTIxOC4xLjAuMTY0NTM2NTIxOC4w&_ga=2.6281339.993608114.1645365221-1240656407.1645365220

Ciampino is southeast of Rome very near the beautiful Castelli Romani area (Frascati, Castelgandolfo, Ariccia, etc.) It is gorgeous and cool in the summer with many outdoor restaurants in lovely settings. 

Instead of going into the traffic and heat of Rome have your private transfer take you to one of the many restaurants in that area and do a driving tour also.  Do a little research on restaurants in viamichelin.com or gamberorosso.com.

A good recommendation for transport is romecabs.com.

Edited by marazul

5 hours ago, marazul said:

Ciampino is southeast of Rome very near the beautiful Castelli Romani area (Frascati, Castelgandolfo, Ariccia, etc.) It is gorgeous and cool in the summer with many outdoor restaurants in lovely settings. 

Instead of going into the traffic and heat of Rome have your private transfer take you to one of the many restaurants in that area and do a driving tour also.  Do a little research on restaurants in viamichelin.com or gamberorosso.com.

A good recommendation for transport is romecabs.com.

I like this idea. I remember having lunch on a vine-shaded terrace in Frascati with views as far as Rome in the distance.... It was a hotel though, not a restaurant.

Another possibility in that general direction but a bit further might be to visit Tivoli. You could visit either Villa d'Este or Hadrian's villa and there is a wonderful place for lunch at the top of the hill in town with wonderful terrace that overlooks a couple of ancient Roman temples. Great food too. (It's a hotel also, but I know they welcome regular customers as well.). The name is Ristorante Sibilla, reservations recommended:

https://www.cntraveler.com/restaurants/tivoli/ristorante-sibilla

image.thumb.png.b0a049e82c64a69a4a18c60a93e7d1ab.png

image.png.ca0062c3d70dae71f327f235c21a8284.png