Internet package - do I purchase ahead of time or on board

caymancouple

I am doing a 13 day crossing cruise.  13 straight days at sea.  I plan to purchase the full internet package.  Should I purchase ahead of time or wait till I am on board.  I got an email from Windstar that implied it was cheaper ahead of time, but did not actually come out and say that.  Anyone have any knowledge of this?? Thanks

WS keeps changing things around, so this may not be completely current, but...

I wonder if they were talking about the "All Inclusive package", which is beverages, gratuities and internet in a package.  If you but the plan beforehand it is $79pp/pd, on board it is $89.  At one time, if you bought just the internet you got one simultaneous connection, but not sure if that's still the case. The package gives you 2, since it is "per person".

• 2 weeks later...

It’s cheaper to book before the cruise. It’s expensive. Check with your mobile carrier.  Some like ATT have attractive plans on some ships.  
on Windstar, I never got good signal.  Ask the crew where to find WiFi off the ship. 

On 3/18/2022 at 5:16 PM, Redtravel said:

It’s cheaper to book before the cruise. It’s expensive. Check with your mobile carrier.  Some like ATT have attractive plans on some ships.  
on Windstar, I never got good signal.  Ask the crew where to find WiFi off the ship. 

The OP is doing a crossing so off ship WiFi won't do them much good. 

I'm on Star Legend in a crossing right now. So far, the WiFi has been decent. Don't expect a high speed connection like on land, but web pages reliably load - just have to wait a bit longer. I was able to download a book (I thought I'd downloaded it before the cruise but apparently the download load had failed). I haven't tried to stream anything long. 

Edited to add that the WiFi/internet is much better than it was on our Oct/Nov 2021 cruise when they were working on resolving post-refit bugs in it.

Another person said that they were allowed to buy the unlimited plan for 24 hours (they wanted to check email and call home mid cruise & didn't want it for the whole cruise). I thought in the past you had to buy for the whole segment. 

I get the plan by being 4-star Yacht Club so haven't looked into current pricing.

Edited by new_cruiser

22 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

I get the plan by being 4-star Yacht Club so haven't looked into current pricing.

This is true and it is also included in the All Inclusive package so we get it twice!  Since we're both YC 4 star we can both access at the same time.

On 3/25/2022 at 1:00 PM, milepig said:

This is true and it is also included in the All Inclusive package so we get it twice!  Since we're both YC 4 star we can both access at the same time.

Last October/November, my 4 star allowed two logins so I used one and my 3-star husband was able to use the other.

On 3/24/2022 at 1:59 PM, new_cruiser said:

It is devilishly hard to find but there is also an online order form:  https://www.windstarcruises.com/voyage-plan/general-information/#BeveragePackages