Mysterious discount

Lbicklel

I went to make final payment for my cruise today. It’s booked through a TA so the payment is to them. When I pulled up my reservation (on the TA site) it is showing a $494.00 discount from Celebrity applied on March 7.   The booking is for three people in a veranda.  We have a second booking for two people in the room next-door and there was no discount on that invoice.

I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth but any idea is what this mysterious discount would be? I don’t believe the travel agent would have automatically done a price adjustment and when I checked the other day even with the current so-called sales the price was higher than what we paid.  Also on was that all prior communication I had had said my final payment was due on March 12 which makes sense for a May 21 sailing but when I went in online it said I was overdue and the payment has been due on March 7 - oddly the same day that the discount was applied.

9 hours ago, Lbicklel said:

I went to make final payment for my cruise today. It’s booked through a TA so the payment is to them. When I pulled up my reservation (on the TA site) it is showing a $494.00 discount from Celebrity applied on March 7.   The booking is for three people in a veranda.  We have a second booking for two people in the room next-door and there was no discount on that invoice.

I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth but any idea is what this mysterious discount would be? I don’t believe the travel agent would have automatically done a price adjustment and when I checked the other day even with the current so-called sales the price was higher than what we paid.  Also on was that all prior communication I had had said my final payment was due on March 12 which makes sense for a May 21 sailing but when I went in online it said I was overdue and the payment has been due on March 7 - oddly the same day that the discount was applied.

Why not just call your TA?

And to clarify, the final payment with your TA, while being processed via your credit card THROUGH them, should not be TO them.  It should be paid directly by them to the cruise line and you should receive a confirmation by way of a final booking confirmation of that payment not only from the TA but from the cruise line as well.  Also, most TA's typically process the final payment a few days prior to the actual payment due date to assure no last minute transaction issues that could affect your booking.  So you should have time to get this sorted out.

That being said, I agree in contacting the TA directly to confirm the amount and any fare change not clearly confirmed previously to you.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

9 hours ago, Lbicklel said:

Yes…that is correct. Just feels like “to” them.

I just wanted to be sure they were processing it directly with your wording of "to" in your post.  But TA's get nothing directly from you in processing your payment.  It is all a positive service on your behalf.  All of their compensation comes as commission from the cruise lines that is paid typically 30 days after the books are closed with the completion your cruise.  

Hopefully you will get an answer to the mystery of your discount, but either way enjoy it - and your cruise!

Were you by any chance using future cruise credit as payment? I had a FCC certificate from early in the pandemic when they were offering 125%. When applied to my upcoming cruise, the 100% part was applied as a payment, but the extra 25% was applied as a discount. 

3 hours ago, ChiGal1962 said:

Were you by any chance using future cruise credit as payment? I had a FCC certificate from early in the pandemic when they were offering 125%. When applied to my upcoming cruise, the 100% part was applied as a payment, but the extra 25% was applied as a discount. 

Nope.  This will be the first celebrity cruise we’ve ever booked.

4 hours ago, Lbicklel said:

Nope.  This will be the first celebrity cruise we’ve ever booked.

Let us know what your TA says.  Once it has been applied it won't be taken off.  It's now part of the Celebrity booking record - and likely issued by them originally.

Waiting on a callback from the TA. Not specifically about this but there is a problem with the booking. We paid in full but it is showing $372 still due.  Which matches the amount of the daily service charges (but we booked under AI.) But she was thinking that the insurance had fallen off.   And if they possibly dropped the prepaid daily service charges I need to make sure they didn’t also drop the beverage package.   Her thought on the discount was a captains club discount but I thought that had been accounted for in our base cruise fare.

11 hours ago, Lbicklel said:

Waiting on a callback from the TA. Not specifically about this but there is a problem with the booking. We paid in full but it is showing $372 still due.  Which matches the amount of the daily service charges (but we booked under AI.) But she was thinking that the insurance had fallen off.   And if they possibly dropped the prepaid daily service charges I need to make sure they didn’t also drop the beverage package.   Her thought on the discount was a captains club discount but I thought that had been accounted for in our base cruise fare.

Yeah that's strange.  Always includes, as you indicate, grats, internet, and classic beverage pkg., so that would seem odd to have that somehow dropped off - especially since the fares without Always are only offered on certain itineraries and categories.  I would think they will get to the bottom of it.