Costa Maya at Night

MistyRo76

Hi! Our cruise this October stays in Costa Maya until 10PM. Probably do a beach club during the day. What fun things are there to do in the evening in Costa Maya? Restaurants for dinner, bars for drinks, dancing? We’re up for anything! 

On 3/12/2022 at 5:47 PM, crewsweeper said:

Some beach clubs will stay open later.  I think Malecon 21. Some of the hotels have bars open.  40 Canones, for example, may have small groups playing music. otherwise, not much.

thanks! 

Are there any places like a Senor Frogs or Fat Tuesdays in the port area like other ports? 

• Like 1

There used to be a Senior Frogs in Mahahual but it closed down.  There's a couple of places in port.  Want to say Cantina Latina(?)  El Faro. Flavors of Mexico.   IMO these are all mediocre and overpriced.

There are small open air bars around and a swim up bar at the pool.

I don’t think Costa Maya is geared for night life and personally would get back on the ship where entertainment is free. 

Unless I had gone on excursion to the ruins I think i would have had enough beach, bars and heat by the evening. Not sure what time your ship arrives but we have just done four trips that left at 7pm and we had had enough. Of course you are probably much younger than  us!

The pool bar at the port used to get quite loud but haven’t seen anything like that since Covid.

Edited by c-leg5

On 3/18/2022 at 9:03 PM, c-leg5 said:

I don’t think Costa Maya is geared for night life and personally would get back on the ship where entertainment is free. 

Unless I had gone on excursion to the ruins I think i would have had enough beach, bars and heat by the evening. Not sure what time your ship arrives but we have just done four trips that left at 7pm and we had had enough. Of course you are probably much younger than  us!

The pool bar at the port used to get quite loud but haven’t seen anything like that since Covid.

Thanks! We are in port until 10PM....I think we get into Port around 1:00. We could certainly head back to the ship for dinner but if there were any dining/nightlife options that are worth checking out, I would be up for it! 

• 3 months later...

There used to be some spots in Nuevo Mahahual the town just outside the cruise port that you pass through on the way to Mahahual malecon beaches.  But last November I really didn't see anything open.  In the past most ships left by 6P while it was still light.

As more ships start stying late , maybe some club owners or hotels will start evening entertainment.  Btu right now, best heading back to the ship.  None of the overpriced restaurants in the port complex are worth missing ship dining for.

Edited by crewsweeper
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

There used to be some spots in Nuevo Mahahual the town just outside the cruise port that you pass through on the way to Mahahual malecon beaches.  But last November I really didn't see anything open.  In the past most ships left by 6P while it was still light.

As more ships start stying late , maybe some club owners or hotels will start evening entertainment.  Btu right now, best heading back to the ship.  None of the overpriced restaurants in the port complex are worth missing ship dining for.

Whilst this is true there did seem to be a surprising increase in the number of small hotels opening in Mahahual on recent visits. I don’t know how many visitors there are at the moment but you do see a number of reviews on TA, particularly from Europeans, even during lockdown so they must eat some where at night! One restaurant that caught my eye was a rooftop restaurant that got good  reviews. 

However, as stated above, personally I would spend a few hours at the beach or port and return to the ship for evening food and entertainment.

Also keep in mind, time of year, where your ship leaves from, and ship time vs local time . Being on the mainland you don’t get sunset  dinners like Cozumel.